Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which movies had the biggest real-world consequences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which movies had the biggest real-world consequences?

I'll throw three into the mix.

1. Jaws (1975). Since the movie was released, shark and ray populations have declined 71% and 75% of shark species are at risk of extinction. While it would be unfair to solely blame the movie, both Spielberg and Peter Benchley (the book's author) have expressed regret about its effect on the public perception of sharks.

2. It Happened One Night (1934). To speed up a scene where he undresses, star Clark Gable decided not to wear a vest/undershirt. Leading to a dramatic decline in undershirt sales.

3. Supersize Me (2004). Where film-maker Morgan Spurlock only eats McDonalds every day for a month, gaining 4.3 kg. Such was the reaction to this film that the fast-food industry fell over itself to offer healthy alternatives on their menus.
    Unfortunately, other people failed to replicate his results. Worse still, his most extreme allegation--of liver damage--turned out to be the result of alcohol abuse, which he failed to mention. Along with his other symptoms, which were consistent with alcohol withdrawal.​

The Birth of a Nation - KKK resurges.

Comment

Taxi Driver nearly did, but not quite, since it apparently inspired John Hinckley to shoot Ronald Reagan

Comment

Gaslight of course gave us the name for manipulating people into questioning reality, though it didn't create the thing itself

Comment

Jud Süss stepped up the anti-Semitic fervour in Nazi Germany.

Exodus arguably global bolstered support for Zionism, giving Israel carte blanche.

Comment

Star Wars arguably the start of global merchandising and licencing off the back of a film. Toys, books, mugs, cups, posters, trading cards etc.
            You used to be able to get a few toys from your favourite TV show\film, but this took it to a completely different level.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Gaslight of course gave us the name for manipulating people into questioning reality, though it didn't create the thing itself
              Not especially a 'global consequence' (in the purest sense) but Groundhog Day similarly - and unintentionally - created an alternate worldwide meaning for a phrase previously exclusive to the North American holiday of February 2nd.

Comment

Gone with the Wind was essential in the creation of "the South" as currently understood by a majority of White people in the region ( and quite a few elsewhere).

Death Wish essentially created the NYC as dystopian hellscape trope so beloved of the reactionary right, not to mention "inspiring" real life copycats.

The Godfather films were taken as instruction manuals for gangsters of Italian heritage, particularly in the Northeast.

Comment

Did Blackboard Jungle popularise Rock and Roll and make kids rebellious after the war? I wasn't around at the time to confirm.

Comment

I think that its greater impact was to encourage White Flight and "urban renewal".

West Side Story had a similar impact.

Comment

In terms of fashion and youth culture, I'd say The Wild One with Marlon Brando codified the t-shirt, blue jeans and leather jacket as a signifier of youth and rebellion. Something that never really went away.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                        Did Blackboard Jungle popularise Rock and Roll and make kids rebellious after the war? I wasn't around at the time to confirm.
                        BJ certainly fuelled the social/rebellion side of things, yes, but the following year's Rock Around the Clock (despite being largely fictional in storyline) brought the music and artists to the greater attention of UK audiences.

Not that I was around for either.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          I'll throw three into the mix.

1. Jaws (1975). Since the movie was released, shark and ray populations have declined 71% and 75% of shark species are at risk of extinction. While it would be unfair to solely blame the movie, both Spielberg and Peter Benchley (the book's author) have expressed regret about its effect on the public perception of sharks.
                          No-one has actively gone out since killing sharks to pre-empt attacks, though, surely. I think the extinction issue must have more to do with shark's fin soup, which remains a huge Chinese delicacy, revolting though it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

No-one has actively gone out since killing sharks to pre-empt attacks, though, surely. I think the extinction issue must have more to do with shark's fin soup, which remains a huge Chinese delicacy, revolting though it sounds.
                            Or more likely than that the overfishing of lower down the food chain and pollution of the oceans.

Comment

You'd have thought that, by now, somebody, somewhere might've developed a method for growing natural shark's fins in a lab.

I guess the 'slaughter' element remains important.

Comment

Whilst the overall effect is difficult to accurately calculate, the slew of movies in the 70’s from overtly political filmmakers like Alan J Pakula (The Parallax View, All The President’s Men etc) must have substantially influenced how many looked at the role of the state and those in power. Of course ‘ATPM’ didn’t expose Watergate or dark arts in high office but the way it dramatically highlighted the unravelling of a corrupt president must have been significant.

Similarly I daresay any previous scepticism about the 1969 moon landings was emboldened by Peter Hyam’s ‘Capricorn One’ which must surely have fuelled a whole host of conspiracy theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                  Similarly I daresay any previous scepticism about the 1969 moon landings was emboldened by Peter Hyam’s ‘Capricorn One’ which must surely have fuelled a whole host of conspiracy theories.
                                  It certainly affected my mother, who maintained for years that not only had we not gone to the moon, but that we'd never even gone into space.
                                  Something I finally managed to disabuse her of when I pointed out she had satellite fucking television.

Comment

After Artax sank into the Swamp of Sadness in The Neverending Story, deaths from quicksand declined dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      Something I finally managed to disabuse her of when I pointed out she had satellite fucking television.
                                      Balloons!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I think that its greater impact was to encourage White Flight and "urban renewal".

West Side Story had a similar impact.

I'd flee too if there were groups of kids bursting into song all the time.

Comment

And yet Fame heralded the re-gentrification of the Upper West Side

Comment

Picking up on Tony's post, The West Wing has quite obviously poisoned the minds of many "political operatives", especially on the Democratic side of the aisle.

Comment

Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will.

Comment

Not world-changing, but I reckon Saturday Night Fever shifted an awful lot of white polyester suits.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  And yet Fame heralded the re-gentrification of the Upper West Side
                                                  Wow, the Upper West Side was run down and shady up to the 80s?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X