Vision On: Sixty years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision On: Sixty years on

For those of a certain age from the UK, memories of this groundbreaking programme will resonate. Article by a friend:

Vision On wasn't just a much-loved entertainment show, it also launched countless careers and gave us Pat Keysell, Tony Hart, Aardman and Sylvester McCoy...

That's a great read, thanks for sharing (and bringing back so many great memories of a great programme).

Comment

Thanks for that. Happy memories indeed. I once knew a kid whose picture was included in the gallery. Or so he and his family claimed, I missed the episode. OK, not a great story.

Some fondly remembered shows from childhood don't stack up at all but Vision On is very much the exception. The rudimentary technology of the time overcome by imagination and sheer love of what they were doing. Tony Hart deserves a statue and more.

Comment

Yes, I loved the programme. As someone who could barely draw a circle I was in awe of Tony Hart's talent.

The music that they played when they showed the viewers contributions is such a strong memory.

Comment

As a youngster, my initial thought was Vision On was just a boring programme for deaf kids, but I quickly got to appreciate the art and creativity of Hart & Co.

I remember me and my schoolmates mimicing the "I'm sorry we can't return any of your pictures but we give a small prize for those that we do show" routine that Pat Keysell did every week, complete with our own cod-sign language which definitely included a two-fingers salute with the first bit as a sorry-not-sorry gag. What comedians we were, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
            Thanks for that. Happy memories indeed. I once knew a kid whose picture was included in the gallery. Or so he and his family claimed, I missed the episode. OK, not a great story.
            Now you (sort of) know another: my luridly-coloured megalosaurus was shown prominently in the gallery when I was six years old. (But in black-and-white, of course.)

I was delighted but, true to form, they didn't return my painting. In these pre-VHS times, the moment came and went - and I had a seriously hard time convincing any of my little buddies that this had actually happened.

Great, groundbreaking show for kids.

Comment

Working...
            X