Star Trek - the good, the bad, the ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek - the good, the bad, the ugly

I can't find a general Star Trek thread so let's have one here.

I'm watching the second series of Strange New Worlds and it's the best Ster Trek I've seen in years. My only gripe is I don't like how they've changed the Gorn and that these characters, while interesting and compelling, aren't Uhura, Spock, Kirk or Chapell.

For all their many, many faults. Pine, Urban and Quinto captured the characters much more when you consider the changes in their character histories.

​​​​​​

Strange New Worlds had been great, though I could live without that fucking musical episode. That was so fucking cringeworthy.
    Also enjoyed Discovery, though the availability of miraculous tech does occasionally induce an eye roll or two.
    Picard has probably been my favourite of the new crop. Maybe because it has reintroduced us to so many characters from the 90s series in a where are they now. I also like the idea that being a frail octogenarian shouldn't prevent you from saving the world and making it a better place. It doesn't work quite so well in reality, though.
    I much prefer a series to have an overriding story arc rather than just individual episodes I think. This is why Voyager was the best of the 90 series.
    I also like the new Pine led original series based films, particularly that it goes on a completely different timeline to the main body of television franchise.
    I could probably have been a Trekkie with a bit more commitment, but I haven't yet had the urge to take in the original series properly, and I've certainly never had the urge to learn Klingon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
      Strange New Worlds had been great, though I could live without that fucking musical episode. That was so fucking cringeworthy.
      It would have been fine if the songs were any good. There was maybe one that was even close to the level of, say, any of the Buffy songs. I definitely agree that SNW is by far the best of New Trek, (not counting Lower Decks, which is great in its own way but I don't really think of as Trek)

Comment

I liked the characters in Picard. I think that I'm less comfortable with the setting changes. Which makes me feel uncomfortably like the wrong sort of nerd. Blowing up Romulus just feels lazy though, like they looked back, saw that the rapprochement with the Klingons began when their moon exploded and said we'll do that again but more.

Comment

the last 3 or 4 eps of Picard season 1 were quite good. ANd season 3 was magnificent (for all the wrong reasons, but still.) The rest I thought was awful.
          I do love SNW and Discovery though. But I could ALWAYS do without the novelty episodes.
          The only show I've ever seen that could pull them off was Fringe.

Comment

The musical episode wasn't as bad as I feared after the build up on here. I think I'd prefer that they tried things like that rather than making things more and more grimdark. They are long episodes aren't they? The musical one was over an hour.

SNW Kirk (James T.) has prompted me to reread Kirk Drift. About how Kirk isn't Zapp Brannigan

Comment

That Kirk Drift essay is really good (even if I didnt get some of the references) never come across it before, I'll share it with academic friends into 'reboots'.

Comment

The banned Star Trek TNG episode (well maybe just in Britain) where Data mentions a united Ireland. And it is supposed to happen this year.
                I wasn't even aware of this until I read this this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68342135

Comment

FWIW, the line is in the Netflix version.

Comment

I get why saying that reunification came about because of terrorism might have been a bit much for BBC & RTE.

I watched Star Trek Beyond on Channel 4 the other day. I'd remembered it as the least bad JJ Trek, but wanted to see the Kirk Drift in action. But oh boy, it is so unoriginal. Everything is a nod, or a callback, or an Easter egg, or a reference.

Comment

Working...
                    X