X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wright Off

Steve Wright has died, aged 69.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707

Beat me to it. I was going to go with "Steve Wright in the Afterlife".

Comment

That's sad - he was about the only one of the Radio 1 DJs from that era I liked and if I switched on his show on Radio 2 I'd generally leave it on

Seemed quite private as well

Great show Steve

RIP

Comment

Not a fan by any stretch of the imagination but having spent time in his company as recently as Saturday afternoon - I usually listen to Pick of the Pops if I'm driving to a game - the is a real shock.

Comment

I'd guess I've spent thousands of hours listening to him down the years. He was the guy on Radio 1 in the late 80s when I got in from school, then the clunky move to breakfast, then he was on Radio 2, there was a time when listening to him meant I was off work (and Amanda Holden always seemed to be a guest) then job changes meant I'd listen to him as I worked. I was actually listening to him earlier today, doing 1986 on Saturday's Pick of the Pops. Although I drew the line at Sunday Love Songs. Serious listenin' (no G)

Comment

Sad to hear, 69 is too young. R.I.P

Comment

Ah, that's a shame. I used to really enjoy his Radio 1 show back in the day.

RIP

Comment

Loved the show, Steve.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/stat...eve-wright-mbe

Comment

Would listen to his Radio 2 show quite a bit on the drive home from work, especially on Friday, as I left the school earlier in the afternoon. Strip down all the crazy gang stuff that gave him listeners, he'd play some excellent music from time to time. "That's the Way God Planned It" by Billy Preston is the one that stands out.

I'm trying to think of a Serious Jockin' pun, but I'm struggling.

Comment

Knock it on the head Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      Ah, that's a shame. I used to really enjoy his Radio 1 show back in the day.

RIP
                      This.

Comment

Like longeared I've probably listened to Steve Wright more than any other DJ. His R1 show coincided with my teens and early 20s, and whilst on reflection it was hardly groundbreaking stuff, mostly influenced by American radio and definitely by Kenny Everett, and not always as funny as 'the posse' would make it seem, it was still way better than anything else that was on daytime radio, that back then was still populated by the middle aged cheesy dee-jays, most of whom were sexual predators. It was the only radio show I remember that people used to talk about afterwards, in the pub or wherever. Nobody ever chatted about what was on Bruno Brookes show. You must have something if you can do something like that five days a week for 40 years.
                        I also remember that he was more original when it came to guests as well. I don't recall any other shows back then having a doctor on talking about personal wellbeing or sexual health.
                        Another thing I've been seeing is lots of glowing tributes from colleagues, musicians and former guests, whether occasional or regular. If you're on Twitter and check his name in "Trending" it's just an endless list of tributes and memories. I remember catching Shaun Keaveney's final show on 6, and one of the first people he thanked was Steve Wright, who he said when he started in radio was always available, and always ready with advice and help.
                        RIP to a radio legend.

Comment

An extremely talented broadcaster, who grew up with his audience.
                          I found his Kenny Everett inspired phone in characters hilarious as a child (including Gervase the hairdresser), then as a young man the reasonably restrained zoo format (which Chris Evans and others would ruin by overdoing it), with the catchphrase heavy comedy characters of Phil Cornwell et al...
                          I then rediscovered him as an adult on Radio 2, where listening to him would mean I was unemployed or was taking time off and decorating, and he had just the right blend of enthusiasm and world-weariness.

As sid mentioned, he pretty much kept to himself off air, I've no real idea as to his politics or any other interests. He was married to an American woman in the 80s and 90s, that's about all I'd know.

RIP

Comment

Oh, this is not the Steven Wright I’m familiar with.

Comment

Nor this one, unfortunately: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stev...iller)#/search

Comment

I struggle with the arithmetic of him being only 69. It feels like I was at school listening to "Mr Angry" and Damien the social worker, etc. But he was doing it in his 20s, so I guess it checks out.

His comedy characters have probably dated badly, but out in the sticks there was nothing else like it at the time, the norm was Paul Burnett doing "classic" Fun At One which even then seemed pretty dodgy ("funny he never married" was on constant repeat, oh god oh god).

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  I struggle with the arithmetic of him being only 69. It feels like I was at school listening to "Mr Angry" and Damien the social worker, etc. But he was doing it in his 20s, so I guess it checks out.

His comedy characters have probably dated badly, but out in the sticks there was nothing else like it at the time, the norm was Paul Burnett doing "classic" Fun At One which even then seemed pretty dodgy ("funny he never married" was on constant repeat, oh god oh god).

RIP.

Ah, I'd forgotten Mr. Angry.

Wasn't there some loutish character who come on and refer to Wright a "wassackwallywillard" or something?

The guy who did the Jagger impersonation was excellent.

There was an absolutely excruciatingly embarrassing moment in Wright's career that I'm kind of hoping won't get brought up, but I'm bracing myself just in case.

Comment

Oh, that's interesting. I remember him playing Panic and making a sour comment about the "Hang the DJ" line.

Turns out that he actually inspired the song!
                                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 13-02-2024, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      The guy who did the Jagger impersonation was excellent.
                                      Also the guy who did the Bowie impression. I still say "tell us what the time is... tell us what the temperature IS" at the slightest provocation.

Anyway. RIP Steve.

Comment

Wasn't it Phil Cornwell?

Comment

You're probably Wright.

Comment

RIP
                                            Used to listen to him on the site radio at work. The music wasn’t much different from the standard R1 stuff but Mr Angry, Mick n Keef n Bowie and the Easy Life feller brightened up a hard days sawdustry. I think only Peels death has created a similar amount of column inches from the R1 types of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              Wasn't it Phil Cornwell?

Who, the Jagger impersonator? Yes, I assumed so but didn't know for certain.

Comment

Some lovely tributes and memories here.

Comment

Wonderfully gifted broadcaster who understood his remit perfectly. No mean feat to keep things ticking over nicely three hours a day for five days a week as he did for so long.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X