Heimat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heimat

Just giving this another try on DVD (tried some years ago but couldn't get to the end of the two hour first episode).

Fuck me, it's slow (though I suppose that is appropriate to the rural milieu depicted). Fair to say I would not be persisting if it weren't so hugely "critically acclaimed". Anyway, I've managed to watch all of E1 now, so I'll try E2 later this week and see if it picks up at all.

It does take its time. But you get to know the characters -- which is where the slow pace might help -- which helps as you go along. It is as good as the critics said, so it is worth persevering with. The steady pace becomes a strength as you get drawn into the narrative.

Comment

Yes definitely worth perseverance

Comment

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever watched and I was looking up the DVD just the other day.

Comment

Wonderful series and definitely stick with it

Der Zweite Heimat was harder to get into - set in the student world of 1960s Munich but it did have some wonderful moments

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
            Wonderful series and definitely stick with it

Der Zweite Heimat was harder to get into - set in the student world of 1960s Munich but it did have some wonderful moments
            Yes, it's a bit inferior to Heimat I. But as a historical testament -- the hangover of Nazism in West Germany and the new generation that came after the Third Reich -- it is a fantastic observation. It's more rewarding still if one knows a little about the student culture in Munich, which was radical and innovative, and would help shape German culture.

Comment

Working...
            X