Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Connect

He needs to ditch his arse of a team captain. Yes, dragons!

Comment

Only Connect

Sorry, this is going to sound horribly sneering and smart-arse, and I admit I'd be absolutely crap as an OC team member, but honestly, on the picture question in the sequence round last night, after the first two pictures were revealed as the digits 1 and 2 respectively in matchstick arrangements, I thought that lad's comment to his teammates "surely it's just going to be the number 4, in matchsticks" was the funniest thing I've ever heard any OC team member say.

Edit: that'd be a great sequence for OC Nursery School though.

Comment

Only Connect

Mumpo wrote: He needs to ditch his arse of a team captain. Yes, dragons!
        Too right!

Comment

Only Connect

Both of last nights teams were shockingly bad, pity that they finally get on a terrestrial channel then serve up rubbish teams.

Comment

Only Connect

Squarewheelbike wrote:
            Originally posted by Mumpo
            Too right!
            And he's gone. Hallelujah.

Comment

Only Connect

Mumpo wrote:
              Originally posted by Squarewheelbike
              Originally posted by Mumpo
              Too right!
              And he's gone. Hallelujah.
              They need to come back at some point with a different Captain, then I think they'd do quite well.

Comment

Only Connect

Determined to have a go before a contestant buzzed in with the correct answer, but unable to digest so many letters so quickly, my missus when faced, in the "former European states" category of the missing vowels round, with the sequence

KNGD MFTH TWSC LS

gamely rushed in with a shout of "Kingdom of the Santa Claus".

Comment

Only Connect

Women! Know your limits.

Comment

Only Connect

It would be unkind to speculate on whether she'd rather discuss fluffy bunnies or a return to the gold standard.

Edit: same goes for me too, mind.

Comment

Only Connect

Heheh, that's a superb attempt though — I came unstuck on that clue too, but couldn't come up with anything past "Kingdom...". Glad that team have gone, as quite apart from any lack of knowledge their captain seemed frustratingly incapable of formulating a coherent response to anything, as if he'd never watched the show and didn't know even what kind of answer he was meant to be making. As soon as I'd seen the first couple of questions I thought "This one is going to be a race to the bottom", as the QI Elves team too had been surprisingly clueless to that point, but on balance I'm glad they were the ones to stagger over the line in the end.

Comment

Only Connect

New levels of volume shouting at the connecting wall tonight, IT'S THE RUTLES!

Comment

Only Connect

To my shame I didn't spot the Rutles.

Generally though I don't know why teams always groan when they get a music question. They're almost without exception piss easy like last night's Bogey/albatross and Boom/Boom Boom.

Comment

Only Connect

Very poor efforts on the connecting wall by both teams. You would have thought this is one show where contestants would know the Rutles.

I for one was enraged that they didn't see the tennis player nicknames.

I think they have dumbed down the contestants for BBC2, the clues are as tough as always, but you're given more of a chance to get them as the contestants aren't quite as sharp.

Comment

Only Connect

The Chessmen are all former University Challenge champions who normally perform much better than that. They seemed to have a collective off night last night,

Comment

Only Connect

A question for Hof (or anyone else who has been on the show). How aware are the contestants of the scores going into and during the last round? There doesn't seem to be an active scoreboard in the studio and the scores weren't announced to the contestants before the final round. I am not sure it matters, but I guess it could have some effect on how quickly you try to buzz in on the final round, so I'd be interested to know.

Comment

Only Connect

Going into the final round, you don't have a clue how well your opponents did on the wall until VCM announces the scores just before. You therefore end up spending a few minutes while the production team are making final preparations to begin the round eyeing up your opposition from across the studio looking for some sign as to how well they did.

During the final round itself, you have no visual indication at all of what the scores are - if you're not keeping a mental count (as I tried to) then you only find out at the end of the round.

Comment

Only Connect

Thanks Hof. It must be disappointing to get full marks on the board, only to find out your opponents have done so as well.

Comment

Only Connect

Ok, I'll take that back about shouting loudest at the Rutles connection. Tonight both teams failed to spot Great Train Robbers! The more I see of QI Elves on the show, the less I want to watch QI!

Comment

Only Connect

The other team not spotting the Treasure Island characters (Hawkins/Silver/Pew/Trelawney - "are the all professors?") was hilarious.

Comment

Only Connect

And tonight, the History Boys manage to win by making up their own answers..

Comment

Only Connect

QI Elves again tonight, reckon they'll get whooped!

Comment

Only Connect

They squeaked through by 2 points

Comment

Only Connect

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: They squeaked through by 2 points
                                                Got trounced tonight. Sadly QI will never be the same again if this bunch of fuckwits are behind the scenes!

Comment

Only Connect

two very strong teams in next week's final, then. Looking forward to it.

Hang on... we're away on holiday.

SHT

Comment

Only Connect

Record? Catch-up?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X