No announcement yet.

Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lesser Hitchens has written his regular article complaining that University Challenge has become too PC, and thereby, in his opinion, too low brow - of course, there is a legitimate discussion to be had about defending the classics against the fashions, but Hitchens' personal blind spot concerning the sciences seems to have obscured his recognition of high knowledge in that regard, and every quiz will update its canon on a regular basis to account for changes in cultural spheres.​​

Comment

The generic "Unfortunately,..." email came today. Hope you're still in the running, via vicaria.

Is it worth seeking their advice on where our application fell down? Although we didn't ace it in the qualifying quiz I'd have thought it showed we had the potential to be competitive.

Comment

Shame. Good luck if you go for it again.

Comment

I thought University Challenge a touch odd this week. Gifted an opportunity by an opposition team that had been leading comfortably until a silly five point losing interruption, the other lot took the lead and then were given an eternity to prevaricate over answers to the next two bonus question sessions, thus running down the clock. Ironically the other team's first error had been to rush through a bonus session when they could have easily chewed up a fair (in every sense) amount of time just by pretending to think of answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
            I thought University Challenge a touch odd this week. Gifted an opportunity by an opposition team that had been leading comfortably until a silly five point losing interruption, the other lot took the lead and then were given an eternity to prevaricate over answers to the next two bonus question sessions, thus running down the clock. Ironically the other team's first error had been to rush through a bonus session when they could have easily chewed up a fair (in every sense) amount of time just by pretending to think of answers.
            Indeed. It's almost as if they need a "shot clock" to stop such timewasting; I'd certainly like to see Amol time them out much quicker.

While UC teams will often interrupt the bonus question early when they're trailing late on, it seems that on Mastermind, Clive Myrie is contractually obliged to complete the usually long-winded question even if the contender has already answered it correctly: presumably, to ensure an even number of questions per contender, but it's quite annoying.

Comment

It's always annoyed me in UC that the teams are generally only urged to hurry up in the closing stages. Do it throughout or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                The generic "Unfortunately,..." email came today. Hope you're still in the running, via vicaria.

Is it worth seeking their advice on where our application fell down? Although we didn't ace it in the qualifying quiz I'd have thought it showed we had the potential to be competitive.
                Sorry to see that. Hope you have better luck next time.

Comment

Yes you will get there eventually

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    Sorry to see that. Hope you have better luck next time.
                    Yes, this.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

Yeah, our rejection wheeled in at about the same time by the sounds of things. Very very late compared to previous years (though given they'd said auditions would be taking place in Jan, I'd long since given up - we could choose to believe we were on the reserve invite list in case any of their first picks dropped out, hence our late rejections ). No idea what they grade/select on - I don't think we did any worse in the years we've not been selected vs. the year we got the audition. Will give it a go next year again!

Comment

Working...
                      X