• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan O'Neal's had his last dance

Died today, aged 82

Rather unfairly he'll be most remembered for this

Worst Line Reading Ever - YouTube

Thats far more entertainig than the 3 hours of Barry Lyndon.

Comment

That’s 100% the director’s fault.

Comment

Obviously not his fault, but I still blame him for the worst dating advice you could give an impressionable young lad ... "Love means never having to say you're sorry".

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
          Obviously not his fault, but I still blame him for the worst dating advice you could give an impressionable young lad ... "Love means never having to say you're sorry".
          I thought that was her line.

Comment

'Tough Guys Don't Dance' is a peculiar title. It's not any kind of saying or widespread generalisation/assertion - dancing is a physically sensuous activity that has always been seen as compatible with hard man masculinity in societies where it's approved of at all. The acting seems fine though, and it's plausible that the original lines may have been "Oh fuck! Oh shit! Oh fuck!" etc. which would make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              I don't know. I've only seen the first hour and a bit, of barry lyndon but most of that bit of the film is shot in cahir, in a field somewhere between clonmel and Carrick on Suir, and his house is between clonmel and lismore. Nothing kills your suspension of disbelief like the hero going on a journey from Ireland to France or wherever he goes and you can tell that he's literally still in the same field, because that's still the same mountain in the background.

It's the same with a bit where he's having dinner with Leonard rossiter, and later he's in pressia and you can tell that he's simply moved from one side of the big hall in cahir Castle.

That film would have been a thousand times better if Barry lyndon had a proper north deise accebt, and sounded like mattie mcgrath.He was just too much of a blank slate in that film to pull it off, though that may have been the whole point, I don't konw, I didn't make it to the end.

I don't think I've seen him in any other films. I don't think I made it all the way through love story. It was..... of its time.

Comment

There are a meaningful number of USians of a certain age who still think of the Sarabande from Handel's Harpsichord Suite as "The Theme from Barry Lyndon"

Harvard showed Love Story as part of its version of Freshers' Week.

Comment

RIP DRIVER - best film he ever did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHphfIAkAfg

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Harvard showed Love Story as part of its version of Freshers' Week.
                    To what end? If you become too annoying you or your partner die of cancer? Aim low enough, and you can have a box office to budget ratio of 80:1?

I love a bit of handel. Is Baroque music, the latest point where "classical" music is instantly accessible to most people? It's basically just formalized folk music, and not very complicated folk music for the most part. (Well apart from the four seasons, which essentially was lost for well over a century, because it was just too fucking hard to play, and too hard to keep in your orchestra's repertoire.)

The Score of this gives me a headache in parts. For those unfamiliar with written music, The Top line is the soloist with the lines undernearth being for the various different parts of the orchestra. More notes is harder, If you focus on where the dots are relative to the dots around them you can tell whether the melody is going up or down. and by how much. There's bits of this that frankly frighten me when I look at it. If you watch it and listen to the music, you can tell that when you are in a slow bit, or a quiet bit, there's not a lot of ink on the page. But then when you get to fast bits, or complicated bits,, well the page just fills up. The last part which is supposed to represent a summer storm, frankly terrifies me. I recently saw a quartet playing this, and it Puts ridiculous pressure on the violinist, and while she made a game stab at it, She didn't always get there.

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-12-2023, 03:33.

Comment

That was my question as well, and I was troubled by the realisation that a number of my classmates took it deadly seriously.

Is Bach Baroque? I don't think much of his work fits that paradigm.

Comment

According to my 7th grade music class he was.

Also, the first paragraph of his wikipedia article says he was.
                        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 09-12-2023, 03:54.

Comment

His dates are quite similar to Vivaldi's

Comment

I quite liked O’Neal’s performance in Paper Moon, but it was daughter Tatum who stole that film, and really can’t recall getting excited about any other work of his.

I suppose being the actor associated with the Harrington Jacket is a decent enough legacy. Better to be remembered for that than some of the many sleazeball stories.

Comment

Also the last of the famous acting animals, following Ray Lee Otter and Rod's Tiger over the rainbow bridge.

Comment

RIP.

In the days of unlikely cinema mash-ups, I remember seeing Love Story in a 1971 double-bill with The Tales of Beatrix Potter at the Canterbury ABC.

Comment

I Like a great deal of What's Up Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    His dates are quite similar to Vivaldi's
                                    Unlikely. Vivaldi was a priest. Bach married twice and had 20 children

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                      I Like a great deal of What's Up Doc.
                                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

From about 58 seconds:

Comment

What's up doc? Is terrific Paper Moon and the Driver are decent as well, and I've a personal soft spot for Michael Winner's The Games. Plus his character was responsible for giving the Harrington jacket it's name. That's not a bad legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            I think I spent 2 decades avoiding Barry Lyndon due to the general consensus that it's rubbish. Then, a few years ago it was on late at night, I decided to watch the first 30 minutes just understand why it is so poorly considered. Sure enough, I was up 3 hours later and thoroughly entertained - the 3 hours absolute roar along, it's like a Tarantino movie with it's quick pace, fighting and shagging and it's a really laugh out loud funny film and Ryan O'Neil plays the part of the hapless boy-done-good perfectly. A great movie, give it a go if you haven't already.

Also chanced upon Paper Moon 2 weeks' ago on TV and loved that too. Love Story, however, was sh*t.

Comment

I intentionally watched Barry Lyndon about a year
                                              ago. It’s a bit tedious and, as I recall, has an unnecessary voiceover, which I always hate.

Comment

Working...
                                              X