No announcement yet.

Who wants to watch along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched episode 3. Agree with Trevor Red's synopsis.

Comment

Oh dear. That didn't have much to redeem it.

I could not work somewhere with that computer voice. I liked the FULL ON⬇️ sign.

​​​​​​

Comment

Episode 4 likewise a little flat. Not enjoying this as much as I did the Romans. Still, it is nice to see the return of the old Who standby that is "crawling along maintenance ducts." Always a useful way to use up runtime.

Comment

The switcheroo through the back of the T-Mat was funny.

Comment

Onto episode 5. Never mind the Ice Warriors, the humans would be struggling at 60 degrees centigrade

Comment

Well I've finished the series. Episode 6 had the working title "Doctor Who Foam Party" and it was an interesting storyboarding choice to have Zoe take as long to open a door as spent depicting the final battle.

Favourite other character - Commander Kelly.

Overall though the storyline was clever and engaging. The Ice Warriors could have been a bit more engaging and a bit less useless at looking around corners.

Comment

I don't want to watch The Silurians again so have jumped on to Frontier in Space. Bit of space politics going on. A lot happens in episode 1.

Comment

Also the BBC are adding new bits to the classic collection because a colourised feature length (75 minute) version of the very first Dalek story has been added. I don't want to watch it all again right now but if it had been there when I watched the first story I might have opted for it.

Comment

Seeds of Death Episode 5

I'm hoping for some Doctor.

Comment

Up to episode 3 of Frontier in Space. I think this is the first time I've seen Roger Delgado as The Master. He is delightfully impish.

Comment

I meant to mention before but I was glad to see that they were metric for temperature in the future.
                        A bit inconsistent with the rockets in a single scene, we have rockets, loads of them (despite everything before now suggesting they were museum pieces), but only unmanned, oh but we've not had to launch a satellite in years.
                        Is that the Doctor being scientific (if quickly) or him just chucking things at the problem? He goes through half a dozen emotions in twenty seconds before he rushes off to the weather control station.
                        Doctor Who is much better without a sonic to get him in everywhere.

Still a lot of rushing around. The Ice Warriors would have been screwed without Earth having weather control

Comment

And the conclusion

The last episode set up the method I think. Redemption for the quisling in the end

Comment

Jamie's costume is real fancy dress Scotsman isn't it?
                            On the other hand, the Earth security forces uniform is a very strong look.
                            The doctor just straight up murdered that Ice Warrior! And he'll kill again.
                            Yeah mate, blame your bosses maths skills for the fuck up. I guess if your boss is about to die orbiting the sun then there won't be much payback.

It was ok to good overall. There were some really nice visuals through it but DM was right about the sagging middle.
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Watching the story that follows on from Frontier in Space. The big reveal of a Dalek at the end of episode 1 is kind of ruined by the story being called Planet of the Daleks Episode 1. I have an odd feeling I've seen this story before but that might be another Pertwee Dalek story.

I'm noticing how quickly TV moved on in 10 years (this series is from 1973). Yes, it's in colour, but it's more than that - the staging has vastly improved, scripts are more naturalistic and less oratory, there is a better use of close ups and so on. Most of the special effects are still rubbish and there's a bit of padding here and there. But generally the development of TV as a skilled art form is quite clear to see.

Comment

delicatemoth Peter Butterworth is in the film 'A funny thing happened...'

Also a rather dishy Jon Pertwee. I've never seen him like this before.

Does anyone fancy carrying on with this? I'm up for it if others are.

Comment

Oh I watched the colourised and edited Daleks story. It feels like a recap, just constantly cutting, moving far too fast

Comment

Still up for old Whos, but my 'watching things' energy dropped a couple of weeks ago after being unusually high, hence the foundering. What do you fancy next?

Comment

Cool. I'm really liking pacing it. Some Pertwee I guess next, although I wouldn't mind another one from 2.

Comment

I've watched Frontier in Space and Planet of the Daleks. The Green Death is next and I thought I might watch that if anyone wants to watch along. That's the end of the season. The next season starts with The Time Warrior which is the story that introduces Sarah Jane.

Comment

Working...
                                        X