No announcement yet.

Strictly 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Per Wikipedia, I don't know who Amelia Warner is, but presumably she must have done a cover of The Smiths' Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
      What song was a “Smiths song” DCB? I’ve just checked all 8 songs from last night on the Wiki page for the current Strictly Series and they’re all credited to other artists, so I’m guessing you must just mean a song which the Smiths covered? (Unless I’m mistaken, all songs on Strictly are adapted and performed live by Dave Arch and his studio ensemble.)
      The Internet says that Annabel Croft danced to Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Comment

Thanks chaps. The wiki page on Strictly wrongly credits the song to Amelia W (never heard of her either). Doesn't surprise me that that's the one. I disliked the music on watching the programme last night, and the song title does rather flag that it's the kind of dismal self-pitying solipsistic dirge crap that the Smiths so loved to churn out.

Comment

It was Please Please etc. as soon as it started I looked up thinking I know that one…..

Comment

Apparently Amelia Warner performed under the stage name Slow Moving Millie, and released her cover as a digital download in 2011. Annabel Croft mentioned that Johannes was a huge fan of the song. I guess, given his age, that’s probably the Slow Moving Millie version.

Comment

Anyway, I had already wanted AC to be eliminated this weekend (mainly for being the weakest dancer, but also because I’m not sure I’d find her agreeable to deal with IRL, I.e I suspect there may be a bit of a “niceness mask”). But I want her elimination even more now, for inflicting that god-awful song on the viewers. I’m reasonably confident I’ll “get what I want”, but I’m not going to whine “please please please let me” about it.

Comment

I don't think the song did her any favours either. Although her dance-off was exquisite.

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                I see that the professional dancer is getting good marks again. He really shouldn't be in the competition.
                I was against Layton's inclusion originally, because his dance background felt unfair. However, I've really warmed to him and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying that Charleston. Also I've got a bit defensive of him because a lot of the flack I've seen him get elsewhere is thinly disguised - or even open - racism and homophobia. (Not here from you, obvs.) Anyone who's OK with Motsi is OK with me.

I really enjoyed Ellie's Cha-Cha-Cha and Bobby's Quickstep this weekend - about as much as L's Charleston - but I wasn't blown away by their other dances so much.

Slight disagree with EEG; for me, Annabelle and Johannes will go down as one of the loveliest, warmest couples. She's been incredible getting this far, but I think the others are all better dancers. I predicted she'd face Bobby/Layton in the dance-off and the judges would save him/him unanimously, so I was surprised at Craig, but respect to him.

Also reckon Ellie is nailed on to win now. Layton is the best dancer by far, but the public will vote Ellie. Which will be fine, for all the reasons GO said.

Comment

Pretty much agree with all of the above. Nice episode tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                    Pretty much agree with all of the above. Nice episode tonight.
                    I agree with nearly all of it too.

Comment

Cor, you can get 12/1 on Layton winning. And his dances on YouTube are getting a bit more views than Ellie.

Comment

Well, his dances are usually the best and most striking so it’s not that surprising that they’re getting the most views. I suppose it does show that homophobia is not having any major impact on the public’s appetite for watching him dance, which is great. But I’m sceptical whether that will correlate much with votes, hugely affected as they are likely to be by the “he’s a pro dancer” issue. I think 12-1 are sensible bookie odds, not a bargain.

edit: fucking autocorrect, honestly, I just fucking hate it so much. A few hours ago it thought I wanted to say that incoming texts made my phone sing.
                        Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 12-12-2023, 22:19.

Comment

well that was nice. the only showdance I thought was any good was Ellie’s, shame she messed it up a bit at the end, but I think that human side is what people probably liked in her in the first place.

Comment

Here’s a lovely little video on Twitter of Layton and Nikita’s righteous entrances every week

https://x.com/nvdjas/status/1736118295655297048?s=20

Comment

Working...
                            X