Star Wars: Ahsoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Ahsoka

New trailer. Skip if you want to avoid spoilers.

First two episodes are out. The observation in chez Thistle is that if you haven't watched Rebels (like Mrs Thistle) then you won't get most of it. But as I've watched Rebels, I think it's been OK.

Comment

I don’t think that’s really true, although I know why people think that.

The main mystery of the first two episodes is why did Ahsoka and Sabine fall out? But Rebels’ fans don’t know that either. It happened in the intervening years between the end of Rebels and the present, which is a few years after Return of the Jedi.

All one really has to know is inferred, or it was mentioned in the Ahsoka episode of The Mandalorian.

You just have to understand that Sabine, Hera and Ezra were part of a rebel crew, but Ezra has disappeared along with Thrawn, the big bad that those sorta-Sith and Morgan the witch are looking for. And you need to get that Ahsoka was Anakin’s apprentice but quit the Jedi. It’s not critical to know why.

The Original Star Wars assumes at least as much backstory as that.

Anyway, people should watch the animated shows. They’re great. Or just watch a quick youtube summary.

What might be more offputting is how slow it it. Feloni is going for a western/old samurai film vibe that modern viewers will find weird.

Some of it does feel a bit Volumey - they make most of it in the Volume technology thing, not on location or a green screen - but Disney is clearly getting better at using that without it feeling like the whole thing is shot in one room. This show is an improvement over the look of Obi Wan, which felt unfinished.

I especially liked the set of Sabine’s apartment - which was Ezra’s but you don’t have to know that. All the old janky DIY tech is very Star Wars and George Lucas. He put a lot of 60s California hot rod culture in Star Wars.

Comment

They got Chopper right. He was hilarious.

Comment

Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who plays Hera, is married to Ewan McGregor. Talk about a Star Wars power couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            They got Chopper right. He was hilarious.
            Sociopathic war criminal!

Comment

Oh, that's right. Doesn't he have something ridiculous like a personal kill count of 50,000 beings and droids?

Although Luke Skywalker blew up a Death Star soooo....

Comment

Episode 3 seemed very short. One of those "getting the heroes to the right place" episodes.

If it's only a 6 parter like Kenobi then they have spent a lot of time not really getting anywhere. I have a feeling this series isn't going to reach a conclusion.

Comment

It's an eight parter.

One hopes Ezra's message to Sabine doesn't result in her making the sacrifice play...

Comment

That was hugely satisfying, and the ending chords were suitably ominous.

Comment

Yeah, episode 4 was the best so far. Always good to see Mr Kim in an X-wing. Can't be long before he gets his own series.

Comment

Holy Harry, episode 5 was the best kind of fanservice you will see. Relevant to the plot, giving character development and showing us live action stuff.

Comment

It was a good one. A bit Volumey, but they’re getting better at that.

Comment

spoiler (maybe): Show
                            Yes they really took Anakin to a new level. I wonder if they will re-tell his fall and make it more believable this time.

Comment

I saw an interesting comment that said he got far too into the warrior ethos and developing an indifference to all the violence was part of his slide. See also: Pong Krell, who didn't give a fig about how many clones died as long as he won.

Comment

It's definitely going towards the "The Jedi lost their way" fan theory with regard to the Clone Wars and whether they were still the good guys.

Comment

I don’t that’s just a “fan theory.” Everything in the Filoniverse is about how the Republic and the Jedi order fucked up and all the books and now the shows are about how the New Republic were also corrupt and ineffective, which led to the First Order. Weimar shit

Comment

It originated as a fan theory though. Way before Disney bought Star Wars. (A lot is extrapolated from the novelisation of Revenge of the Sith, which I haven't read but have seen quoted almost everywhere when people start talking about how the Jedi turned away from noble ideals and sought to protect their own power.)
                                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 15-09-2023, 07:34.

Comment

It originated as a fan theory though. Way before Disney bought Star Wars. (A lot is extrapolated from the novelisation of Revenge of the Sith, which I haven't read but have seen quoted almost everywhere when people start talking about how the Jedi turned away from noble ideals and sought to protect their own power.)
                                      It was implied even in the originally trilogy by the simple fact that the Jedi were largely wiped out and that both Obi-Wan and Yoda obviously failed with Anakin.

In the Clone Wars, Yoda does not come off well. For all his wisdom in the force, he couldn't figure out that Palpatine was Darth Sidious or what was going to happen with Anakin.

So, instead of just letting that be a huge plot hole, they decided to make that the text.

Ryan Johnson tried to explore that a bit in The Last Jedi but then JJ/KK listened to the dumbest segment of the fandom and largely abandoned all that in The Rise of Skywalker.

"Somehow, Palpatine has returned" is now a meme for "we fucked up our story."

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        Ryan Johnson tried to explore that a bit in The Last Jedi but then JJ/KK listened to the dumbest segment of the fandom and largely abandoned all that in The Rise of Skywalker.
                                        Maybe he'd have been able to explore it more fully if he hadn't blown 45 minutes on a starship recreation of the OJ Simpson chase before killing off the good baddie and leaving the boring angsty one.
                                        (Not to mention the hilarious travesty that was "bombing" a star destroyer in zero G. I mean, I know Star Wars doesn't really do physics but that was beyond the pale.)
                                        No wonder Abrams brought Palpatine back.

Comment

Ray Stevenson has been lighting up the show, he's got a really good handle on his character.

I reckon Thrawn's smashed up troopers are zombies, reanimated by the "dark magic" he refers to.
                                          Last edited by Eggchaser; 21-09-2023, 10:05. Reason: Zombies are dead, you don't keep them alive, idiot

Comment

Although I'm finding it interesting it does feel like the whole series is an "A to B" job moving the story along but without much of an arc for the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Maybe he'd have been able to explore it more fully if he hadn't blown 45 minutes on a starship recreation of the OJ Simpson chase before killing off the good baddie and leaving the boring angsty one.
                                              (Not to mention the hilarious travesty that was "bombing" a star destroyer in zero G. I mean, I know Star Wars doesn't really do physics but that was beyond the pale.)
                                              No wonder Abrams brought Palpatine back.
                                              It wasn’t zero G. It was low G.

Comment

Although I'm finding it interesting it does feel like the whole series is an "A to B" job moving the story along but without much of an arc for the characters.
                                                There is an arc. It’s just slow.

Comment

Lest we forget, Tie Bombers were first seen dropping blockbusters into asteroids in the unimpeachable The Empire Strikes Back.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X