It's Groundhog Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Groundhog Day!

What better reason to pay tribute to one of the great comedies, not just of the 90's but of all time.

I've kinda always wanted to go to Punxsutawney for the ceremony, but apparently it's very crowded and hard to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I've kinda always wanted to go to Punxsutawney for the ceremony, but apparently it's very crowded and hard to deal with.
      maybe go next year....

Comment

Punxsutawney Phil is a mood.

Anyway, great film.

Comment

Just don't go expecting to see the sights, the film was made in Woodstock Illinois.

Comment

https://www.twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1621205569729175554?s=46&t=BHXASVv_-NKECcrL-cJ1XA

So what does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Just don't go expecting to see the sights, the film was made in Woodstock Illinois.
              Everyone in Central PA is aware of that and not happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                I hope this means that Canada can finally have a groundhog called Gord or Gordie or Gordo as would be right and proper.

Comment

I don't need to point out Nate Silver jumping the shark, because that was several seasons ago...

https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1621202900725764097?s=20&t=J6YIXyFAhqxWyGKmJ5sSBg

Comment

I saw a musical of Groundhog Day at The Old Vic several years ago. It was an enjoyable show but seemed to disappear after the shortish run there.

Comment

That's Tim Minchin's adaptation which got a great response but seemed ill-starred.

It's back in London this year as I've heard lots of good things about it from friends.

Comment

I only heard of this musical today, which is a little strange given my great love of the film and also of musical theatre. I gave the soundtrack a listen on Spotify earlier and hope to go and see it when it comes to the west end.

Comment

I only just came across the theory that Ned Ryerson is the devil (which actually seems to crop up everywhere on the web once you start looking for it). Certainly puts the film in a whole new light.

Comment

Yeah there's some academic analysis of what's referred to as "The Ned Ryerson Conundrum"

Comment

Borussia Dortmund signed a player called Ryerson recently. It's a doozy.

Comment

groundhogdaytriplebill.jpg

Comment

If you search for "groundhog day" using google, you get "Did you mean: groundhog day"

Comment

Apparently there's also a lot of talk about how long Phil was caught in the 'loop'. The guy who wrote the script said, in his mind, he was trapped there for 10,000 years. But people have apparently spent a lot of time figuring out how long it would talk you to be an accomplished pianist, ice sculptor, etc. and it's definitely a very long time. Like decades, but certainly not 10,000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Apparently there's also a lot of talk about how long Phil was caught in the 'loop'. The guy who wrote the script said, in his mind, he was trapped there for 10,000 years. But people have apparently spent a lot of time figuring out how long it would talk you to be an accomplished pianist, ice sculptor, etc. and it's definitely a very long time. Like decades, but certainly not 10,000 years.
                                      Without talent to begin with, you'll never become either, no matter how long you have.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Without talent to begin with, you'll never become either, no matter how long you have.
                                        I thought it was more like 50 years.

Given that magic is somehow involved, I don't think the normal relationship between talent, practice and skill apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                          I saw a musical of Groundhog Day at The Old Vic several years ago. It was an enjoyable show but seemed to disappear after the shortish run there.
                                          Perhaps it was dark?

Comment

The most implausible bit of groundhog day isn't the time loop thing, it's that bill murray is in front of the camera, and andy mcDowell is behind it.

Comment

Groundhog Day is a movie beloved of Buddhists (or, more likely, among commentators who want to draw Buddhist analogies).

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                The most implausible bit of groundhog day isn't the time loop thing, it's that bill murray is in front of the camera, and andy mcDowell is behind it.
                                                Clearly not an expert on 1980s, 90s, 2000s, US TV regional broadcaster news.

Comment

i know they loved men who looked like an old man's knee cap in a wig, but still.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X