Gina Lollobrigi-dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gina Lollobrigi-dead

At 95, she certainly had a good innings.

The Beeb's obituary is pretty good: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64292026

I must confess that I had a pretty big crush on her younger self.

RIP

Comment

If it hadn't been for a couple of gags on The Flintstones, I'd probably have gotten to roughly 50 without having ever heard her name. 95 is indeed a good run.

Comment

I only knew her as the trumpet of Joey 'the Lips' Fagan in The Commitments. Pick a nipple and try again with the saxophonist, who called his instrument Kim Basinger.

Comment

^The mind boggles.

Back in t' day, my mother remarked that one of my girlfriends favoured Gina Lollobrigida, looks-wise. (Looking at some of those old shots, I think my mother herself somewhat resembled her. Probably just the 'look of the era', tbh...)

RIP, of course.

Comment

When we quit out of Netflix on the TV the other night, there was a (yet another) Joanna Lumley travelogue on, where she was in Rome, and she met with Ms Lollibrigida and went through her photo collection. Castro was a "lovely man", apparently.
            I was surprised she was still alive, and then the next day she wasn't.

Her Wiki is a good document of a life well-lived, including her standing for the senate last year, as well as her marriage to a much younger man, which she later accused him of faking using an imposter as the bride.
            Howard Hughes' obsession/vendetta with her is something I'd like to read more about.
            Last edited by jwdd27; 19-01-2023, 11:17.

Comment

I saw Lolobrigida as Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, opposite Anthony Quinn's Quasimodo, when I was a young teenager. I was quite smitten.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Howard Hughes' obsession/vendetta with her is something I'd like to read more about.
                You probably wouldn't TBH. Hughes was a deeply disturbed individual who damaged almost every person and project he came in contact with.

Comment

Working...
                X