Films that everyone seems to like but you personally despise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films that everyone seems to like but you personally despise

Probably needs it's own thread so as not to derail the 1980s revisited thread.
    Anyone else not feeling Ferris Buellers Day Off?

Four Weddings and a Funeral. Don't know if I need to give an explanation, but it brought on a mix of boredom and anger which endures to this day.

Comment

As I mentioned on the other thread, The Matrix. And this isn't some kind of after-the-fact stuff. I got bored when watching it back in the 90s and even then didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        As I mentioned on the other thread, The Matrix. And this isn't some kind of after-the-fact stuff. I got bored when watching it back in the 90s and even then didn't understand what all the fuss was about.
        That's one of those films that has me rooting for the bad guy. Agent Smith is by far the best character and is absolutely correct in his assessment of the human race as a parasitic bacteria.

Comment

The Terminator. Utterly dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            Probably needs it's own thread so as not to derail the 1980s revisited thread.
            Anyone else not feeling Ferris Buellers Day Off?
            Oh don't get me started again about this film, I love it as a film and a story. I just think every character in it is an absolute arse. I'm the same about When Harry Met Sally, which I similarly love, but hate.

And I don't 'despise' Love Actually' but it is, genuinely, a stalker's fantasy movie. For all the ages.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-12-2022, 19:13.

Comment

I will just leave you all to agree on a film you like and then I will not like that one. Too long. All of them.

Comment

The Godfather, Goodfellas and their ilk. A bunch of hard-to-distinguish surly white men being really pissy, like a bad episode of Eastenders with guns. But they can't be too dirty, gotta still look cool somehow. Get Carter, Point Blank, The Roaring Twenties are just three mainstream gangster films that seem to me to have more about them than the 70s/80s award winners.

Comment

Is Avatar the (floating whilst flying) elephant in this room? Because frankly it won whatever Oscars last time and was shite, and it looks like this one's going to be no better ...

Comment

I never saw Avatar, but no-one ever thought it was any good, did they?

Comment

Black Panther...boring AF.

Comment

I'm not sure I know a single person who likes Avatar

edit: Tonton went there first
                        I don't think you'd have to go very far to find someone who doesn't like Richard Curtis films, either. I suspect the board is littered with them (I've never knowingly seen one)

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          I never saw Avatar, but no-one ever thought it was any good, did they?
                          I never saw it either.

Comment

The Guard- what a load of shite that is. Gombeen man rubbish with every Irish character being either stupid, racist or corrupt. And the title character was all three.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              Black Panther...boring AF.
                              While I agree, I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment because I find at least 98% of the superhero elements of superhero films to be boring AF. As I've eliminated the entire genre, it's perhaps unreasonable to pick one example out as bad just because everyone else thinks it's good.

Comment

Oh there's another one, A Quiet Place. I hate that film. Great idea for a horror film and then it turns out to be crap sentimental shite with John Krasinski fantasizing himself as some kind of übermanly but loves-his-family hero while the women spend their time being preggers and cooking. Ugh. Scratch An American Werewolf in London, this is miles worse

Comment

Die Hard

The Princess Bride
                                  (actually, no, that's unfair. I don't despise the princess bride, I just think it's boring)

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Is Avatar the (floating whilst flying) elephant in this room? Because frankly it won whatever Oscars last time and was shite, and it looks like this one's going to be no better ...
                                    More to the point, does anyone know anyone who actually likes Avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                      John Krasinski fantasizing himself as some kind of übermanly but loves-his-family hero while the women spend their time being preggers and cooking.
                                      He looked like a cult leader to me, that film was grim.

Airplane! is another one I don't get. It just dragged, and barely raised a smile.I stopped watching when there was an of-its-time gag where a woman was slapped in the face by two or three different people.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

That's one of those films that has me rooting for the bad guy. Agent Smith is by far the best character and is absolutely correct in his assessment of the human race as a parasitic bacteria.
                                        Yes he is. But the point of the film is that we deserve to survive anyway.

They're cool movies because it looks cool and brought a handful of interesting sci-fi/cyberpunk ideas into a mainstream movie, but it dumbs itself down a bit too much in a few spots and some of it doesn't any sense and the storytelling goes way off the rails by the third one. The fourth one was meh.
                                        The Animatrix is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                          The Godfather, Goodfellas and their ilk. A bunch of hard-to-distinguish surly white men being really pissy, like a bad episode of Eastenders with guns. But they can't be too dirty, gotta still look cool somehow. Get Carter, Point Blank, The Roaring Twenties are just three mainstream gangster films that seem to me to have more about them than the 70s/80s award winners.
                                          It's about power, the tyranny of family, and the failure of American masculinity.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post

More to the point, does anyone know anyone who actually likes Avatar?
                                            It's fine.

Comment

I can't see how somebody could actually see Black Panther or anything like it and find it boring. If you're not interested in superheros at all - I am, but too each their own - what were you expecting?

Comment

I don't know why anyone who didn't see the Airport films would find Airplane funny.

(But then people watch Allo Allo without having seen Secret Army, so...)

Comment

I'm not sure I ever saw Airport, but I can recall seeing a lot of Sunday night TV movies of the week in that disaster genre. That was a thing in the 70s and 80s. So by the time I saw Airplane, I got the idea of what it was parodying even though I didn't know what "parody" meant.

It 10 or 12 when you see it, but some of the dumbest jokes are still favorites. "Don't call me Shirley." It's the deadpan dramatic delivery that makes it funny.

A lot of it, of course, has not "aged well," as they say. Same with Top Secret.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X