Clear All

A big thumbs down to this...

Roger Ebert. RIP.

Fuck Cancer

RIP, Roger

Comment

Not just a great critic, a great general writer.

Comment

As I said elsewhere, kindly and wise, one model of what a great critic could be. RIP.

Comment

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,

If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.
          He even wrote his own valediction

Comment

Ebert owning a heckler at Sundance following a screening of Better Luck Tomorrow.

Comment

Statement from The White House

Statement by the President on the Passing of Roger Ebert

Michelle and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Roger Ebert. For a generation of Americans - and especially Chicagoans - Roger was the movies. When he didn't like a film, he was honest; when he did, he was effusive - capturing the unique power of the movies to take us somewhere magical. Even amidst his own battles with cancer, Roger was as productive as he was resilient - continuing to share his passion and perspective with the world. The movies won't be the same without Roger, and our thoughts and prayers are with Chaz and the rest of the Ebert family.

Comment

: "I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than The Brown Bunny." - Ebert's harshest reviews

Comment

As I wrote on fb, in the years I'd visit my grandmother in Florida, there were all of these strip malls that were abandoned. This led to those bizarre fly-by-night bookstores, where you could buy books for $1-5.

I bought Danny Peary's Cult Movies, and Roger Ebert's 1984 book. The book has since split into many pieces, and it's still something I peruse - as each stage of my life his words and his thoughts on a film have different meanings.

I still despise that he gave Speed ****, and that he gave Blue Velvet *, but lawd he was the best. The rarest of writers, who could bring humanity and soul to reviewing the technique and craft of an art form. He could find humor, and could love the giddy fun of a batshit loopy film.

I'll miss him deeply, but it was very nice of him to show what cancer did to his jaw - in his own way preparing his fans for this day.

My heart's broken, that's for sure. A science teacher I taught with, a mother of two toddlers, died of a heart attack last week. Now this. I'll miss them both deeply, as I missed Gene Siskel.

(Speaking of which, one of the most beautiful eulogies I ever heard about someone was when Howard Stern said of Gene Siskel's passing. He said "this proves yet again what a horror life is. A miserable horror.")

Comment

The onion manages to capture something (yet again):

http://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-triumph,31945/

Comment

An oldie from Keith Olbermann days:
                      http://narus.info/?p=8236

Comment

Funnily enough, the one piece he wrote that moved me was his sadness that his residence of choice whenever he visited London was being torn down as the lease had expired and what was a thriving family business was left open to a compulsary purchase order.

Eloquence yet not lacking sentiment. And he worked with Russ Meyer. That's pretty cool. RIP.

Comment

It's worth reading what amounted to his final farewell.

I'm happy he got a chance to read many of the comments the day before he died. At least he died knowing how much he meant to so many people.

Comment

Among his other achievements, he was rightly proud of having won the New Yorker Caption Contest.

Comment

Working...
                            X