No announcement yet.

'Yellowstone' and Taylor Sheridan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incidentally, I have no interest in the wider Yellowstoneverse. The historical set up seems unnecessary. I might watch Tulsa King with Stallone that's just starting up - but think that's a separate strand of Sheridan's work completely.

On the subject of the shot horses, I think HP was referring to the one the Costner shoots in S1E1. I felt like what happened in S5E1/2 was a nod back to that. I find this stuff to be sad, but actually feels quite true. Ranching life doesn't just involve happy animals bouncing around the pastures. There's a lot of death and it's pretty merciless and unsentimental. I can see that really wouldn't be for HP, but feel like it's right for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      On the subject of the shot horses, I think HP was referring to the one the Costner shoots in S1E1.
      Ah, right. I'd forgotten that.

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      Incidentally, I have no interest in the wider Yellowstoneverse. The historical set up seems unnecessary.
      Quite possibly. I've only watched one episode of 1883. It concerns a wagon train about to head Northwest from Fort Worth Texas. It's view of law enforcement in the area during the period is...umm... interesting, and possibly quite accurate.

Comment

Returning to this thread-which-is-in-the-wrong-section.

Finished 1883 last night. I found it unexpectedly riveting. Partly because of what it isn't — Yellowstone a century previous — and partly because it answered some of the apparent contradictions about what Sheridan is doing, or perceived to be doing with these Western dramas. Two things are clear to me, first and possibly foremost, the land is the principal motivator and, in a sense, actor in both series. In Yellowstone it's mainly passive. Something to be bought and sold, or glorified and protected. In 1883 it's always active, sometimes vehement, other times bucolic, but never passive. The second similarity between the two shows are the women. Beth in Yellowstone, is matched by Elsa Dutton (Isabel May) in 1883. Both are the headstrong daughters of similar fathers, but Elsa is younger (18) and serves also as the series's narrator. Sheridan seems to see women as prime movers. Rarely passive or weak, they stir the pot, instigate the action. Men, on the other hand are strong, stoic, often inarticulate and routinely violent.

In some ways 1883, as a production, is kinda old-fashioned. It harks back to the epic cinematic westerns of my childhood, in the photography and casting particularly. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, a real-life couple, and very much part of 'C&W culture' play the elder Duttons. While apple-cheeked, blonde-haired Elsa is a perfect 50s evocation of Western womanhood. Sam Elliott meanwhile is surely the living embodiment of a grizzled wagon-master. And yes I confess there are moments that brought a tear to these rheumy eyes. I do think It's harder to dislike this show than it's predecessor. But it's almost certainly a single-series. Whether the upcoming 1923 matches it emotionally we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Snake Plissken, could you move this to TV?

Just to say that we're now almost completely up to date with the entire Taylor Sheridan-verse. First Yellowstone (excellent), then 1883 (really good) and then 1923 (really good). Then on to Tulsa King, which is dreadful and we loved every minute of it. Roll on S2. Then we started Lawmen: Bass Reeves, but haven't gotten too far.

At this point, it's gotten very hard to pin down Sheridan's politics. I had him pegged for a weirdo Republican, but he writes (almost) every episode of his shows and directs man, and they skew very liberal / progressive with regards to race, gender, strong women and First Nations (Indians). So I don't fuckin' know.

But...he makes stuff well, I'll give him that.

Comment

At this point I'm just wondering when/if Yellowstone and 1923 are ever coming back.

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            At this point, it's gotten very hard to pin down Sheridan's politics. I had him pegged for a weirdo Republican, but he writes (almost) every episode of his shows and directs man, and they skew very liberal / progressive with regards to race, gender, strong women and First Nations (Indians). So I don't fuckin' know.
            Well, I realise it's increasingly difficult to accept, but human beings are kind of complicated. It's hard to stuff them into 200+ word box and think you've got them sussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              At this point I'm just wondering when/if Yellowstone and 1923 are ever coming back.
              Yellowstone final season 'Part 2' is coming next November. 1923 was renewed, but no idea when. 1883 was one-season only.

Comment

Well, I realise it's increasingly difficult to accept, but human beings are kind of complicated. It's hard to stuff them into 200+ word box and think you've got them sussed.
                Decidedly inconvenient.

Comment

Yellowstone final season 'Part 2' is coming next November. 1923 was renewed, but no idea when. 1883 was one-season only.
                  I guess the strike had something to do with it, but that's quite a hiatus.

Comment

I guess the strike had something to do with it, but that's quite a hiatus.
                    A lot of the streamers are stringing out half-seasons to stem binging. We subscribed to Paramount+ to do just that. So, we'll cancel and come back later.

Comment

Oooo. The buggers!

Comment

So, now we’re deep in Mayor of Kingstown. It’s a TS joint with Hugh Dillon, ex of The Headstones and CTV cop show Flashpoint. Jeremy Renner stars in it, and it’s mostly shot in Hamilton, ON with prison shots from Kingston penn. We like it…it’s gritty and lowish budget. None of your sweeping Yellowstone vistas…or horses.

Comment

have you brought any otfers for picnics in car parks later used as body dump sites in this show?

Comment

Sadly, no. And S2 has moved to being shot in Pittsburgh, PA, so I've missed my opportunity.

Comment

Hamilton and Pittsburgh are similar.

Comment

Very much so. Hamilton 'harbour' and the Stelco gas flares feature prominently in S1. But S2 is very clearly shot in PA.

Comment

Very much so. Hamilton 'harbour' and the Stelco gas flares feature prominently in S1. But S2 is very clearly shot in PA.
                                  Hamilton is a lot flatter than Pittsburgh, I think. The neighborhoods in Pittsburgh are all hilly.

Comment

They are. And you can see a huge yellow roller coaster in the distance. No idea what that is.

Comment

likely the Steel Curtain at Kennywood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_...roller_coaster)
                                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-01-2024, 22:02.

Comment

So, now we’re deep in Mayor of Kingstown. It’s a TS joint with Hugh Dillon, ex of The Headstones and CTV cop show Flashpoint. Jeremy Renner stars in it, and it’s mostly shot in Hamilton, ON with prison shots from Kingston penn. We like it…it’s gritty and lowish budget. None of your sweeping Yellowstone vistas…or horses.
                                        Did this come out several years back? It sounds vaguely familiar, but so do several dozen other shows.

Comment

Comment

Clearly not then.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              likely the Steel Curtain at Kennywood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_...roller_coaster)

Comment

I got Paramount recently so have been watching this [alt title: Sons of YEE-HAnarchy]. I've just gone through the end of season 3 / start of season 4 sequence, and really, what the fuck is going on?

Seeing it through for the scenery and Beth, who really is one of the great modern TV drama characters. If she'd been born a Roy, Succession would have only taken one season to resolve because she would have fucked everyone over in a few episodes.

Comment

I've made it through the run of Yellowstone itself, and 1883 and 1923.

The Spencer storyline in 1923 is so comically bad that I was in danger of committing a public order offence if a police officer happened to be walking past my house as I shouted OH F***ING F*** OFF whenever the story cut to our intrepid adventurers.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X