Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beamed Up

RIP Nichelle Nichols, 89

Nichelle wasn't her birth name; she adopted it aged 14 after a conversation with her mother, who came up with it.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 31-07-2022, 20:16.

Wonderful photo.
    Attached Files

Comment

Well this isn't great. I've been on a bit of a Star Trek tear recently. I've been draughting a post for a general star trek thread but failing to make it come together.

Given how little she was given to do is amazing how much presence she had on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
        Given how little she was given to do is amazing how much presence she had on screen.
        Given the scarcity of black actors on TV back then, and the fact that she was the only woman on the bridge of the Enterprise, it's not too surprising she would be noticed.

Comment

She was going to leave after the first series but MLK persuaded her she needed to stay given her unique TV presence at that time.

Comment

Even in the later films and so forth, she never got to do enough, but that was still way more than most women and/or black people got to do on TV in the 60s or Blockbusters in the 80’s.
            Her character, played by Zoe Saldana, gets to do a lot more in the reboot films.

Only George Takei and William Shatner are left from the original group now.

Comment

As an aside, after seeing the tribute pic of Nichols doing a Vulcan salute with Obama, I realised I could only do one easily with my right hand. Not exactly Earth-shattering news, but as Spock himself might say: "Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected, in this case I would think interesting would suffice.”

Comment

I wonder if that's to do with the left and right sides of the brain? Oddly I'm right-handed but can only do the salute with my left.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  Even in the later films and so forth, she never got to do enough, but that was still way more than most women and/or black people got to do on TV in the 60s or Blockbusters in the 80’s.
                  Her character, played by Zoe Saldana, gets to do a lot more in the reboot films.

Only George Takei and William Shatner are left from the original group now.
                  And Walter Koenig

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

And Walter Koenig
                    I thought he died.

Comment

Nope, still plodding along. Unless there is twitter in the afterworld.

Comment

It was Anton Yelchin, the actor who played Chekhov in the revival movies, who died, not Koenig.

Comment

That’s right. What a bummer.

Comment

One of my first crushes. As a young boy her legs stirred my loins.

Comment

And Walter Koenig
                              Chekhov not in first series, joined in S2

Comment

Still counts as part of the original group. He was in TOS for 2 seasons and however many films.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Chekhov not in first series, joined in S2
                                  It was never clear to me what his job description was. He just seemed to do whatever needed done.

Comment

He was navigation/tactical and stood in for Spock as science officer when he was unavailable.

Comment

I saw James Doohan returning for an episode of a rerun of Star Trek: The Next Generation (c.1992) the other day. Early 90s hairstyles dated it a bit visually but the themes are sometimes more deeply explored than in the 60s series. Patrick Stewart is obviously a better actor than Shatner (although I sometimes think that Shatner's hammy approach actually suited the way the character was written).

Comment

He was navigation/tactical and stood in for Spock as science officer when he was unavailable.
                                        I thought Sulu was the navigator.

Comment

Sulu was helm. He drove the Enterprise.

Comment

It seems like those jobs could be consolidated.

Comment

Why did they sometimes get beamed down on to planets if their jobs were only related to the ship?

Comment

They had a five year mission, so I'd imagine that all crew members were able to multiple roles in order to maintain engagement in work and to cover for illness/ planet leave/ being stuck in alternate dimensions

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Why did they sometimes get beamed down on to planets if their jobs were only related to the ship?
                                                  That's one of the glaring things in all of the Star Trek shows - the ship has hundreds of crew, but they send senior officers on dangerous missions all of the time. What navy runs like that?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X