Those dirty reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those dirty reds

I've mixed reactions too. I really like the inter-family dynamics, (Holly Taylor (Paige) like Kieran Shipka, is an exceptional actor for a 16 year-old. The actual espionage and governmental chess playing is good too. But the shoot-em up stuff drags everything down. It's just not credible that the Soviets would expose their moles that way after investing so much time in burying them. I understand why it's there — audiences expect 'action' — but it lets the air out of the dramatic balloon in a big way.

Comment

Those dirty reds

That, plus, it's one of those stories where, because of history, the audience knows how it ends. The Soviets lose and lose big and while the US doesn't really "win," it's intelligence community thinks it does. All of that is just a few years away.

There's really no way this can end very well for the two protagonists. The best scenario is that their kids aren't dragged into it and manage to recover from learning the truth about their parents and move on with their lives, either in the U.S. or somewhere else, but hopefully not Russia.

Comment

Those dirty reds

it's one of those stories where, because of history, the audience knows how it ends. The Soviets lose and lose big and while the US doesn't really "win," it's intelligence community thinks it does. All of that is just a few years away.

That needn't matter though. In fact a good story-teller will use it to advantage, as Dickens, Tolstoy and many others have done in the past. For instance next season "turning Paige" [sorry] will be a major plot thread. But, if I've got the chronology right, Andropov is about to become Sec Gen of the Soviet communist party. If memory serves he moved out about a quarter of the upper echelon functionaries. That's bound to change everything.

There's really no way this can end very well for the two protagonists.

I dunno. Is it out of the question that they might just carry on with their ordinary, everyday lives and stop being spies?

Comment

Those dirty reds

They aren't actually travel agents, are they? How do you put on a resume "Soviet spy?"

I think Phillip could adapt. He seems to be coldly practical and considering defecting anyway. But Elizabeth is really committed to the cause. I think watching the Soviet Union implode and then turn into what Russia is now would break her spirit. Maybe she can move to Cuba or some such.

Her comments on religion are interesting. I wonder if it's supposed to be darkly ironic when she rants about how the church indoctrinates people when they're young. It certainly is, whether the writers grasp that or not, but it cuts both ways, of course.

But, if I've got the chronology right, Andropov is about to become Sec Gen of the Soviet communist party. If memory serves he moved out about a quarter of the upper echelon functionaries. That's bound to change everything.

Maybe that is something. I don't remember that, of course. I wasn't even in high school at the time and didn't have a very sophisticated understanding of how the Soviet Union worked. I just knew they wanted to kill me, or so I was told.

I really liked that line where she said "Yes, it's *nicer* here. But not better." Everyone living in a rich country - especially Americans - should ponder that, although we usually don't.

Comment

Those dirty reds

They aren't actually travel agents, are they?

Yes. They have employees. (Who must wonder where their bosses are most of the time.)

Their time spent doing James Bondian spy stuff while holding down real jobs — and a second marriage in Philip's case — and being parents of two teenagers really does stretch credulity.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Oh, I thought the employees were spies too.

Yes, the time aspect makes no sense. And the daughter, at least, is going to figure out soon that travel agents don't usually work such long hours.

Comment

Those dirty reds

I can agree with doubts about the 'shoot-em-up' aspects (the body count is a bit high for something to be hidden) and the "How do they have time to do this?" questions. I expect a lot of it is to make the show 'a show', but they could spend some time answering those questions.

Personally, I'd have no problem if the show spent a lot more time explaining a lot of the logistics support system that is in place for these two to do what they do. Maybe if they start trying to extricate themselves from the machinery, this a plot thread for next year. Somebody is watching the kids while they are away, but who? And who did it when the kids were babies? Was there a nanny who wasn't really a nanny? How does a message from the rezidentura actually reach them?

It's something, I don't know, the FBI side of the show could be doing.

My absolute favorite little bit (not true, I had quite a few this season) was the dream sequence with the secretary dumping the top secret files into her bag. Stan knows. He just doesn't know know.

Comment

Those dirty reds

I really loved it, but kept wondering about the babysitting. I can't get out for a pint once a month with two kids, so how the fuck you shoot up the greater DC area and live 2 double lives means you have a babysitter on tap.

The continuity error I spotted was the picture of the Space Shuttle on Henry's wall having the yellow fuel tank, when that didn't start until the 3rd mission in March 82.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Binged on this show about 6 weeks ago. Watched the first and was sucked in. Has huge potential and love the characters. Comments on here that the female lead was played 'Too cold". It's funny but - and I speak as someone who was married to a Russian for 4 years - I think she was spot on. Very, very Russian in the character. They're a complicated lot. The male lead, on the other hand is not as convincing but still likeable. I won't give spoilers here but the third lead, the FBI agent's storyline gets really, really good and his character just keeps on giving.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Huzzah! It started again.

Still really impressed by the casting. Frank Langella coming in as the new handler it seems.

Matthew Rhys still killing it, of course.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Still haven't made it to the end of season 2. Great premise, excellent performances, the occasional arresting episode but I find the plotting to be laughable. I put it alongside Masters of Sex and House of Cards as series that could have been great but are missing something. Obviously, other people love all of those series so I'm the one missing out

Comment

Those dirty reds

ITV isn't screening it here anymore...boo!

Comment

Those dirty reds

Bum. Maybe worth waiting for the DVD.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Fucking great telly.

Series one was really good, though I to some degree buy the criticisms of the acting. Comparisons to Homeland abound, but actually I think the more interesting thing in terms of comparisons is how it's basically structurally identical to Breaking Bad.

But Season 2 was a whole huge jump ahead. A good series became a great series; themes were amplified, the writing became much more taut and confident, and the acting jumped up a notch. If Keri Russell started the show learning on the job, there's no legitimate doubt left about her chops. And Paige was on the edge of becoming the bestbyamile teenage-child-of-major-long-form-drama-protagonists, even before the storyline [SPOILER] took the turn it took. Apart from Dana Brody, obvs.

We're an episode into season 3, already it looks like a cracker. Superficially similar elements, but already much more tension adn a broader canvas. Great, great show.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Season 2 was indeed suspenseful and the acting has, in places, been impressive. But there are so many implausibilities (some already mentioned, plus the fake marriage); and some sequences where believability was sacrificed for dramatic action. The questions these raise are a detraction, and they make the difference between a very great and ay good show.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Agree it's exaggerated/amplified for dramatic effect - they're probably doing the work of a whole team of agents. Doesn't make it less enjoyable.

I do agree with MP, though, that her Russian-ness rings fairly true.

As for the travel agency .. there was a travel agency in London run by a prominent British communist in the 80s. I went to Russia with them, the first few times. They were open at very odd times and didn't seem to have many customers. One wonders, now, what was going on out the back when the "CLOSED" sign was up.

The owner's name popped up two years ago on a Communist forum, where someone claimed he had been a spy for MI6 (not true, but interesting).

Love the use of the music in TA, especially The Cure.

Comment

Those dirty reds

I'm not going to read any of this thread. Just here to say that this show is magnificent. Put it on your list. We're 8 or 9 into the first season and it's got us hook, line and sinker.

Comment

Those dirty reds

I watched episodes 1-4 of Series 3 last week and thought I was going to pass out when there was no episode 5 available. I need to see it, and can't last a week between episodes!

It is so, so good and ep 4 even made me laugh out loud at one point.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Real life Americans/Canadians.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Season four just finished.

Martha... Oh, Martha!

Comment

Those dirty reds

Finished? Nah, there's 5 more to go.

It's so f*cking good.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Man, there has been so much good stuff this season. My favorite show on TV at the moment.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Same. This is one of those shows like The Wire that everyone's going to discover around season 5 or 6.

Comment

Those dirty reds

I watched the first season of this and really enjoyed it. And then I lost track of it at some point in season two, not unrelated to the fact that Breaking Bad had taken over my life and I didn't have the time to watch both. And I ended up not going back to it. I really should try and pick up where I left off some time.

Comment

Those dirty reds

WOM wrote: Same. This is one of those shows like The Wire that everyone's going to discover around season 5 or 6.
                                                    There'll be two more seasons, according to the writers. Which is a relief as this one felt as if it could be the last. It's definitely one of those shows that's got better as its gone on.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X