Now I gotta turn my back on you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I gotta turn my back on you

Doesn't seem to be a thread for this, but Paul Sorvino (Good Fellas, and many more films requiring a certain type of Italian-American actor) has cooked pasta for the last time.

A real shame

A great actor and (according to Mia) a great father, too

Comment

It's been a very bad few months for mob film fans.

Paul Sorvino
      James Caan
      Ray Liotta
      Tony Sirico

Something tells me I'm forgetting someone...

Comment

He's outstanding in Goodfellas, which might be easy to overlook because there are four other leads absolutely crushing it in that film plus lots and lots of great character performances.

Comment

Part of the reason Goodfellas worked so well is that he just looks the part, and is at ease with the role. Most other portrayals of senior mobsters are too handsome and mannered. He looks like a halfway house between Gotti and castellano, but with a fondness for doing his own cooking. He's also fucking terrifying in that film.

Comment

Paul Sorvino was one of the veteran actors that made The Rocketeer such a great watch, along with Alan Arkin, Jon Polito and Timothy Dalton.

And yes, he's absolutely phoenomenal in Goodfellas of course.

Comment

As I once said before, I always imagine that ursus arctos looks like Paul Sorvino.

Comment

As I likely said the first time, differences in heritage render that difficult

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                  Paul Sorvino was one of the veteran actors that made The Rocketeer such a great watch, along with Alan Arkin, Jon Polito and Timothy Dalton.

And yes, he's absolutely phoenomenal in Goodfellas of course.
                  I have no memory of him being in The Rocketeer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    Part of the reason Goodfellas worked so well is that he just looks the part, and is at ease with the role. Most other portrayals of senior mobsters are too handsome and mannered. He looks like a halfway house between Gotti and castellano, but with a fondness for doing his own cooking. He's also fucking terrifying in that film.
                    Indeed.

This is his best part.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I have no memory of him being in The Rocketeer.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        As I likely said the first time, differences in heritage render that difficult
                        Him being dead probably now makes it even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

I wasn't doubting it, I just didn't remember it. I'd forgotten that Timothy Dalton is in that too.

Comment

I thought you might recall the character

Comment

I haven’t seen it in at least 20 years.

Comment

Oddly, Disney + suggested it as something I might like to watch.

I remember an interview with Sorvino about playing Paulie where he said he knew he'd nailed it when he got the stare. Then he did it and said to the interviewer, "And you just got scared."

Comment

We caught an old episode of Law & Order last night where he and Chris Noth are the leads. I have absolutely no point of reference for him on that show. It's always been Lenny Briscoe and those guys for me. I wonder if some years get more syndication than others, and his were the leaner years.

Comment

He did 29 episodes early in the show's run and found it too much of a grind

He also began his career as a copywriter

Comment

Working...
                                    X