Officer down at Hill Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer down at Hill Street

Taurean Blacque, who played Det. Neal Washington on Hill Street Blues, died on Thursday at 82. In a show full of great characters, I'd say he was my favourite. I was delighted whenever he and his toothpick came entered a scene.

After HSB, he became a national activist for adoption services, having been adopted himself.

What a show Hill Street Blues was. I watched a few episodes again a while back. It has aged in terms of how it looks, but I found it still gripping.

Everything you say, G-Man. Very cool name too.

Comment

Damn, you can't edit typos in thread titles?

Taurean Blacque was his stage name. He grew up as Herbert something. But he didn't look like a Herbert. What Herbert wears a leather cap with such cool as Taurean did?

Comment

That is sad news. He was the coolest.

Comment

Sad news. Washington was great but nobody will ever come close to Belker in my affections.

Though I can never see the credits (or even hear the theme tune) for the show without hearing my Dad's constant lascivious noises aimed at Joyce Davenport.

Actually, 'Characters Your Parents Openly Letched At' would be a good thread, though I suspect we may have done it already.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            Taurean Blacque was his stage name. He grew up as Herbert something. But he didn't look like a Herbert. What Herbert wears a leather cap with such cool as Taurean did?
            One of my grandfathers was called Herbert and, while he was a man of many fine qualities, his cap game wasn't in the same league as Taurean's. He might have edged a knotted handkerchief as improvised beach headwear showdown though.

Comment

Wasn't it Washington and LaRue who, when Howard and his SWAT team were in the the sewers looking for lethal reptiles that were reported to be lurking down there, nailed a stuffed crocodile to a skateboard and sent it hurtling down a tunnel towards the officers?

One of my favourite TV scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Sad news. Washington was great but nobody will ever come close to Belker in my affections.

Though I can never see the credits (or even hear the theme tune) for the show without hearing my Dad's constant lascivious noises aimed at Joyce Davenport.

Actually, 'Characters Your Parents Openly Letched At' would be a good thread, though I suspect we may have done it already.
                I remember my stepdad ( zero interest in music) was heading out to the pub while we were looking at a Blondie concert ,taking off his coat and sitting down again, much to my mother's disgust.

Comment

I can imagine that Joyce Davenport's physical appearance made many men's pulses race a little harder. She was not hideous.

But I wonder whether her independence would have appealed to many such men if they actually had found themselves in a relationship with her.

Davenport was one of the earliest female characters on TV who portrayed strength and equality without that being played for laughs or conflict. She was, like so much with the show, a pioneer.

Comment

I read last week that the producer of Miami Vice originally tried to entice the Bobby Hill and Andy Renko actors away from HSB to star in a new cop buddy show. They turned him down but used the offer to get a raise and more story lines.
                    The Forrest Whittaker episode was my favourite.

Comment

Working...
                    X