Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't watch them, but isn't that broadly what the Americans do with series like Lost and Desperate Housewives and things like that? All inspired by Twin Peaks, obv.

Comment

Mat wrote:
      I've always thought it would be great if someone started to introduce elements of horror or mystery into long-standing soap operas. An Alistair Crowley figure taking up residence in Albert Square say, or someone in Coronation Street being dragged into a sewer by a shadowy, nightmarish HP Lovecraft style creature.
      Like John Stape?

Corrie's accidental serial killer, he disappeared after jumping off a roof, the reappeared months later with a beard.

Comment

I don't watch them, but isn't that broadly what the Americans do with series like Lost and Desperate Housewives and things like that? All inspired by Twin Peaks, obv.

Didn't American television actually do a horror soap, Dark Shadows? I know Tim Burton's got the movie version out soon, but I think Dark Shadows was the first horror/gothic-orientated telly soap created way back in the 60's.

Comment

Yes .. To Dark Shadows.

Generally audiences have different levels of suspended disbelief for different art forms so mixing a realistic-ish "soap" like Corrie with fantasy or theatre is disorienting. It's slightly odd even seeing soap actors on Telethon or quiz programmes.

Comment

It's not that odd, really. To some people, the next logical step after working so long in soaps is a stint in panto at Christmas. That said, it's interesting that some soap actors are now actually making strides by going for more adventurous and career-enhancing moves in film and television. Not so long ago, being in a soap was akin to having a prison sentence - being stuck in the same furrow for years narrowed any venture into other roles. That's changed. Now soap actors can even go back into theatre and into other mediums with a good measure of success.

Comment

I meant it's odd for the viewers, God knows most actors have to take most gigs they can, and yes, it's not a death knell it was.

But viewers feel a bond with a soap regular. And before Squarewheel starts, that's not "thinking it's real".

Comment

MsD wrote:
                Generally audiences have different levels of suspended disbelief for different art forms so mixing a realistic-ish "soap" like Corrie with fantasy or theatre is disorienting. It's slightly odd even seeing soap actors on Telethon or quiz programmes.
                Yes. This. And that's why I think if it's done well it can have real impact.

Your mention of John Stape earlier reminds me of a really strange episode of Corrie I watched when I was a kid, when Emily Bishop's lost husband turned up unexpectedly in her house for one episode as a born again nutter, and tried to force Emily to commit suicide with him.

Fuck, that was a properly disturbing and brilliant bit of drama.

Comment

They do that kind of thing remarkably well, only now we have a "normal" Salford backstreet where nearly everyone's been inside or been the victim of attempted murder.

The episode where Mary sort of kidnapped Norris (more than a nod to Misery) was genuinely unsettling. Then again, the one where she was bouncing up and down excitedly in her motor home saying "milk, milk, lemonade .." was even more so.

Comment

Working...
                  X