Anyone watch Game Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed it. An incredibly narrow portion of the overall book, though. And only maybe the most compelling. The battle between Obama and Clinton for the party nomination was obviously quite good.

Some good actors doing good work, too: Harrelson, Harris, Moore, mainly. And was that an uncredited cameo by Tom Hanks as the older, office-bound vetting lawyer?

But yeah, pretty much savages any chance Palin has of running for office again.

I've only seen the trailer so far.

What struck me is how easy it is to become Sarah Palin. Take any woman, give her the little beehive and the glasses, pop her in a nice tailored suit and tell her to smile and do the odd wink.

Et voila … you're Sarah Palin.

Comment

Curious to see it. Anything to keep her on the defensive and keep her cloistered in her FOX or Wasilla bunkers is fine w/ me.

One of the new-found gems was a scene where she thinks that the Queen of England is really running the country. The idea that many former McCain/Palin aides contributed to it, and are not denying most of the content speaks volumes.

Comment

It's very faithful to the book, so if you've read that you've seen the movie.

What was most freaky for me was how she would go catatonic when overwhelmed or emotionally drained. She'd shut right down with her chin on her chest and they'd have to break off whatever they were briefing her on.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
          I've only seen the trailer so far.

What struck me is how easy it is to become Sarah Palin. Take any woman, give her the little beehive and the glasses, pop her in a nice tailored suit and tell her to smile and do the odd wink.

Et voila … you're Sarah Palin.
          When Moore is in full flight as Palin, you forget it's an actress. It's a beautifully observed performance. Ditto Harris as McCain.

Comment

Rats, Sky Atlantic have picked it up for the UK. I won't get to see it for some time, if ever.

The book was retitled Race of a Lifetime in the UK. Game Change is much better.

Comment

Finally saw this yesterday. I had read posts at other forums where people thought that the movie humanized her more than they had anticipated, but I thought she seemed worse. OK, I will concede that she had a good rapport with people at rallies, and she seemed to relish public speaking, but maybe this all translates better to being Miss Alaska (which she lost at anyway) or a motivational speaker, not someone involved with policy.

Her behavior was really bizarre, too, more than was previously revealed: rudely ignoring Nicolle Wallace when she was prepping her; sitting blankly and as sulkily as a spoiled child during another debate prep session; trying repeatedly to make a concession speech even after she was sternly told that it was impossible.

As for the movie itself, its point seemed to be to hammer in the message that the Country First campaign slogan was undone by choosing her.

Comment

Yeah I caught this yesterday. As contemporary biopics go I thought it was pretty decent. No one watches this type of film with anything approaching disinterest anyway so partiality is a given. Her catatonic drop-outs were strange — there must be a psychological term for these(?) I also wonder whether her incipient megalomania — like the concession speech thing — was a bit overplayed (I really hope so). I thought Woody Harrelson's turn as Steve Schmidt was good. Harder to pull off in some respects than either Moore's or Harris's.

Comment

i enjoyed the movie. i wonder who the republicans will nominate as VP candidate this year. steve schmidt wins the argument over who mccain should choose by saying something like "i'd rather lose by 20 points going for the win than lose by a couple of points and think, i wish i'd gone for the win." obama's lead in the polls over romney means that psychology still applies, despite the failure of palin. romney could try another game changer.

Comment

Just watching it now. It is unbelievably faithful to the book - or at least the bits devoted to the last eleven weeks of the Republican campaign.

I think it humanizes her - I mean, the sheer terror of fucking up on a stage that big, the humiliation of watching Tina Fey lampoon you perfectly. It must have been like that dream of showing up to school naked actually happening, over and over for weeks on end.

But it managed to do so without making her seem likeable, which I think is important. She come across as ignorant of public affairs, uncurious, and not quite entirely mentally stable.

I don't believe she actually wore that many hockey jerseys, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X