Sarah Millican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Millican

She's got her own show, on BBC2 on the 8th March. It's a 10pm start, so hopefully that means the subject matter won't be toned down. I find her to be one of the funniest people on TV at the moment, so I'm looking forward to this.

Sarah Millican

I'll give her three chances to mention cake. On the third mention, I turn off.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Sarah Milli-can't, I call her.

I don't really.

Comment

Sarah Millican

One of the better in the current crop of over-exposed observational comics.

Sort of a cross between Jenny Eclair and Jo Brand. And I mean that in nice way.

Comment

Sarah Millican

she simply proves all those wrong who say that woman not funny/ shes the funniest person that existed

Comment

Sarah Millican

She tends to stink out shows she appears on (5 Live's 7 Day Sunday provided numerous examples) so I'm going to give the TV series a miss.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Sarah Millican's naturally warm personality makes her an okay guest on the ridiculous number of panel shows for which her management (Avalon) book her. Her first appearance on QI, for example, was very funny indeed.

However, I don't get the excitement about her as a stand-up. I've seen her a couple of times and I find it all a bit gentle at best. As for the supposedly 'rude' stuff, it feels a bit self-conscious and obvious to me.

Her chat show - which I've not seen - seems the obvious next step. If these vehicles are going to be chucked at comedians left, right and centre, then she should certainly have a shot at it.

Comment

Sarah Millican

She reminds me of a fat Jane Horrocks, only not quite as annoying.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Who say "woman not funny". Me smash.

Horrocks bad. Millican hmm hah. But other woman funny. Spoke to one yesterday.

Commodore Frankie Boyle with cankles.

Comment

Sarah Millican

me um can no friend, um wampum thief who no like vagina Milli-CANT

Comment

Sarah Millican

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                      Who say "woman not funny". Me smash.

Horrocks bad. Millican hmm hah. But other woman funny. Spoke to one yesterday.

Commodore Frankie Boyle with cankles.
                      Oo-er missus...

When it comes to comedy it's about what rather than who makes me laugh. Anyone can come up with something genuinely funny, be it witty or absurd. Doesn't mean that I have to worship at their altar because of it, though.

All I did was make a crude comparison based on what I see as a physical resemblance to another comedic figure. I didn't even say comment on Horrocks or Millican's craft, I merely said that Horrocks was annoying, as are anyone who does voiceovers for Tesco I suppose.

I don't mind being compared to Frankie Boyle (who has his moments, albeit fleeting) but I resent the implication that I suggested that women are not funny. I can be misogynistic in other ways but humour is not one of them.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Commodore wrote:
                        I can be misogynistic in other ways but humour is not one of them.
                        If all LL did was got the precise arena of your misogyny wrong, I'm not sure you've any business resenting anything.

Comment

Sarah Millican

She's just kind of alright. Her boyfriend, though, is a bit of a genius. Gary Delaney. King of the one-liners. (People say that about Tim Vine, but Delaney's better.)

Comment

Sarah Millican

Why at Last! wrote:
                            Commodore wrote:
                            I can be misogynistic in other ways but humour is not one of them.
                            If all LL did was got the precise arena of your misogyny wrong, I'm not sure you've any business resenting anything.
                            Why would that be exactly?

I didn't make any sweeping statement about women being funny or not, but was pulled up for that reason. Now you are saying that I should have no right to resent anything as I'm supposed to be a misogynist, when I said I am capable of being misogynistic on some issues. There's a difference there.

And I find the fact that you use the word 'arena' given the name change at what is supposed to be your sacred St. James' Park somewhat odd. It seems you're not that offended, or is that me jumping to conclusions?

Comment

Sarah Millican

Commodore wrote:
                              And I find the fact that you use the word 'arena' given the name change at what is supposed to be your sacred St. James' Park somewhat odd.
                              Superb.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Who is Commodore?

Comment

Sarah Millican

He's worth three ladies. Apparently.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Millican's not with Avalon. And is great.

Comment

Sarah Millican

I'm really impressed by the way you make your signature change, but always post a completely blank message.

It's great. Like a Brechtian commentary or something.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Mumpo wrote:
                                        I'll give her three chances to mention cake. On the third mention, I turn off.
                                        That's about right.

Comment

Sarah Millican

On the whole, the show seemed a bit rushed, trying to cram too much in 30 minutes. Enjoyed the nature programmes segment and the interview with SM's dad to start the dating programme part; I guess it's a parent's god-given right to steal the show from their offspring, and Millican senior certainly did not disappoint.

The dating sequence left me cold, I have to admit, as SM's wit is far greater than her capacity for the more physical aspects of comedy. The format also requires a heightened sense of polish and rapport with guests and audience alike which seems unfair on someone who hasn't presented a programme before, but that should improve in time.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Not bad for a first show. agree about the dating skit, it was turning into a sketch, and with sketch comedy, if it isn't funny, then it's shit, there's no in between.
                                            The stand-up was pretty funny, and the interview with Chris Packham, especially so. She seems to do the one to one stuff very well, so there could be scope to build on gthat.
                                            For some reason, nerves probably, her voice went very high on occasion. She ended up sounding the orange monkey in the Aldi Jaffa Cake advert.

Comment

Sarah Millican

Her voice can get to the rafters occasionally, but she is 'usually' funny.

I didnt like the format. She could do, what Russell Howard did, better.

Comment

Working...
                                              X