Scariest 'X-Files' episode/creature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know - it's a bit of a random thread, but...

For me, one really quite chilling moment was when the 'water monster' dragged the child(?) off at the beginning of 'Aqua Mala'. Really horrid.

The one in the woods with the shiny critters coming out of old trees. Really good episode, very atmospheric. It hasn't put me off camping in woods mind...

Comment

Well I was just about to post the exact same thing as Moonlight Shadow. Terrifying, that was.

Comment

Home, featuring The Peacock family.

Comment

Gerry Schnauz, the german speaking psycho who lobotomises his victims to save them from the 'howlers' in Unruhe, series 4. Home was pretty disturbing, too.

Comment

We loved it, and yet have never seen it since. I do remember it being extremely creepy on regular occasions. In particular the one with the inbred hillbillies - was that Home? And the one with the creeping black slime which started in peoples' eyes - may have started with a Flight 19 plane under the sea?

It's been a while.

I miss Dana.

Comment

Eugene Tooms freaked me right out on first viewing. On repeat viewing it's probably one of the weaker episodes.

Comment

I saved from the bin my brother-in-law tapes of Season 1, think I might put on "Darkness falls", I enjoy watching it on occasion.

Comment

Another vote for a Series 1 episode here, but the one that freaked me out most was Beyond the sea - Brad Dourif is frighteningly good at playing a condemned serial killer in that one.

Comment

Not to be a tough guy, because I've been known to scream like a 4-year-old during films (ask my wife about the tub scene in What Lies Beneath,) but the X-Files never did it for me.

I think the way people couldn't see beyond the zippers on the costumes for Who, I couldn't see beyond the crappiest of crappy CGI. My loss, but there's nothing else I can say that isn't the truth.

I'll always want the writer of Entertainment Weekly who wrote that the X-Files was more terrifying than the Twilight Zone to be burned at the stake by the Cigarette Smoking Man.

Comment

It never scared me, to be honest. The first three seasons or so were really good though, some brilliant plot-lines and premises.

I don't think it was as consistently inventive as 'The Twilight Zone' either.

One of the main directors was called David Nutter wasn't he? I always got a cheap, childish laugh out of that.

The end titles with that little kid shouting 'I made this' got on my wick a bit.

Comment

If anyone's interested this is the old school Doctor Who story that was the most obvious influence on the X-Files. It's got the lot. Paranoia, check. Unseen villians, check. Unnamed aliens, check. Abduction, sinister academics, spooky government types and um, much, much more. Whole thing appears to be on youtube if you've got three and a half hours to spare.

It's proper good, by the way. Would almost certainly have scared the shite out of me if i'd been alive at the time it was broadcast.

Comment

I think the paranoia and conspiracies develloped in X Files took their root in the flourishing underground conspiracy theorists network found in the US in UFO circles and other paranormal activities hobby groups rather than a Dr Who episode.

Comment

Yeah, that's what the man WANTS you to think.

Comment

Mat wrote:
                              If anyone's interested this is the old school Doctor Who story that was the most obvious influence on the X-Files. It's got the lot. Paranoia, check. Unseen villians, check. Unnamed aliens, check. Abduction, sinister academics, spooky government types and um, much, much more. Whole thing appears to be on youtube if you've got three and a half hours to spare.

It's proper good, by the way. Would almost certainly have scared the shite out of me if i'd been alive at the time it was broadcast
                              Cool! A Doctor Who story guessing game. Um... is it The Claws of Axos?

Comment

Ha!

Apologies, wasn't meant to be a mystery. I put a youtube link in that post. I must have buried it too well though.

Comment

No, no, I saw the link, just didn't want to spoil the challenge.

Comment

Heh.

It's not 'Claws of Axos'. It's a real odd one from the season before, maybe the oddest story ever and also the last script David Whittaker ever wrote. He quit because he said the poetry had gone.

Comment

Humbug terrified me as a child, to the point that I couldn't even look at the screen for some parts. I only saw The X Files every now and then, but it's never seemed (then or since) to have captured my imagination, whereas I love The Twilight Zone.

Comment

What was the one with the guy who fit inside drainpaipes and get to his victims?
                                        That was pretty freaky.

That one in the woods with the dark thingies MS mentioned as well.
                                        I wonder if Moffat was thinking of that with the Doctor Who one with the library etc a couple of years ago.

Comment

The creatures that I recall most, if not the scariest were Tooms and The Flukeman from 'The Host'.

Comment

The second ever episode (I think). In which an alien escaped by hiding in a portaloo shit tank then being sucked into the turd removal tanker.

For someone working in the construction industry is a scene that I relive a couple of times a day.

Comment

Working...
                                            X