Pointless lesbian scenes in cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A prime example being Scarlett Johanssen and Penelope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, as it occurs for no apparent reason (ironically, it would have made sense with the other female character), and you're just left with the seedy impression of Woody as an old perv leching after nubile actresses.

Yep, that's why I enjoyed the film!

Comment

That and the fact that it was the first film I've seen with Penelope Cruz in which she didn't annoy the shit out of me...

Comment

Most of Hammer's early-to-mid 70s output.

Comment

Well, it's legitimate in The Vampire Lovers, what with it being based on Carmilla, and all.

Comment

That and the fact that it was the first film I've seen with Penelope Cruz in which she didn't annoy the shit out of me
            That's funny, I was thinking that it was the only reason anyone has come up with for me to see another film with Scarlett Johannsen in, especially a Woody Allen one

Comment

Not quite the same thing, but the latest ITV Marple series did seem to be chock full of lesbians. Any Christie character who was a Miss seemed to be stomping around smoking a pipe, or was the girly companion of a gruffly protective woman who stomped around smoking a pipe, and at least one plot was altered to make lesbianism central, which it wasn't in the books.

Comment

Lesbianism Central sounds like a railway station. I'm guessing it'd either be in Rye or in Hebden Bridge. Or maybe Vauxhall, what with the Vauxhall Tavern being so close.

Comment

Hurrr.

To add .. Although I think Christie did hint at a few lesbian characters, I think it's a mistake, historically, to assume a lot of spinsters and nuns were lesbians - of course, some would have been, but there was also a surplus of women after WW1.

It's a bugbear, generally, that people superimpose modern sexual behaviour on previous generations - many homosexual people wouldn't have acted on their desires, because of the taboo.

Anyway, Carry On with the lesbians in cinema. I think The Hunger might be a candidate.

Comment

MsD wrote:
                    Carry On with the lesbians in cinema.
                    Which reminds me; throwing some lesbians into the plot is a particular characteristic of early 70s British cinema.

I'm surprised the Carry On films — at the time when they were really scraping the barrel (Behind, England, Emannuelle) – never chose this tack.

Comment

The next train is for Lesbianism Central, calling at Metrosexual Junction, Bicurious, Sapphic Leanings (for Park and Ride) and Lesbianism Central. Change at Lesbianism Central for all stations to Separatist-Feminist International.

Comment

Clam Junction?

Comment

Wymynstow Central

Comment

Newport Pagwell of Loneliness

Comment

There will be an occasional service via Hubbie's Birthday Threeway, stopping for a while at Tearful Recriminations before rejoining the mainline to Uncompromising Heterosexuality.

Comment

The Hunger's a good call, although I suppose that opening scene with Bauhaus is equally pointless. It's a good daft film.

I'm in two minds about the lez-up in Mulholland Drive.

Comment

I recommend reserving a couchette on the night train, awakening somewhere between the Ladies' View and the Discreet Pass.

The mainline has long been electrified, but the service to Separatist-Feminist International is still mostly diesel.

Comment

No station at Offa's Dyke.

Comment

Funny word, "lesbianism". The '-ism' makes it sound more like adherence to a philosophy, rather than a state of being.

Comment

(yet another day spent thinking about lesbians when I really ought to be working)

Comment

Mulholland Drive.

I didn't get a lot of the film, but I got that bit.

Comment

The Japanese have an excellent term for this sort of thing: "fan service."

Because let's face it, sexy scenes might be pointless as far as plot development goes, but they're not put into movies for no reason at all.

Comment

Thing is, without the lezzy bits in Mulholland Drive there isn't really any story or any film, y'know?

Comment

laverte wrote:
                                                The mainline has long been electrified, but the service to Separatist-Feminist International is still mostly diesel.
                                                This is very good, by the way.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                                  laverte wrote:
                                                  This is very good, by the way.
                                                  Yes, isn't it? She's bloody good, laverte, I've said this before.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X