Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs Associated With Movies

Eggchaser wrote:
    Barber's Adagio for Strings in Platoon. Pretty much linked to that scene forever more in most people's minds, I suspect.
    How about that other piece when the helicopters attack in Apocalyps now?

Comment

Raindrops are Filling Up My Hat - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Comment

And never mind American druggy excess, All Along the Watchtower is all about two unemployed English bums driving past London slum clearance and up the M1 towards the lake district. It's inextricably linked with Withnail in my mind.

Comment

Aimee Mann's 'Wise Up' in Magnolia.

Another vote for 'Layla' in Goodfellas, in fact the music selection is near perfect throughout.

'Lust for Life' and 'Perfect Day' in Trainspotting.

Nico's 'These Days' in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Finally the only two memorable parts of Somewhere are those soundtracked by '1 Thing' by Amerie, and Phoenix's 'Love Like a Sunset part II'

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
            Eggchaser wrote:
            Barber's Adagio for Strings in Platoon. Pretty much linked to that scene forever more in most people's minds, I suspect.
            How about that other piece when the helicopters attack in Apocalyps now?
            Yeah, Ride of the Valkyries.

Classical snippets are somehow different for me, probably because they are just that. But most of 2001: A Space Odyssey would be high on the list, certainly both the Strausses, Richard for the first few chords of Also sprach Zarathustra, and Johann for The Blue Danube You can also throw in Ligeti's Requiem and, of course "Daisy, Daisy..." for good measure. Actually the whole film is pretty much one long music vid.

Comment

B's 9th in A Clockwork Orange
              Carmina Burana in pretty much everything
              lots of stuff "inspired by" Shostakovich, particularly #10 & #11

Comment

Yesterday (with a Morricone intro) in Once Upon A Time in America

Ray Charles' You Dont Know Me In Groundhog Day

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                  And never mind American druggy excess, All Along the Watchtower is all about two resting actors driving past London slum clearance and up the M1 towards the lake district. It's inextricably linked with Withnail in my mind.
                  Fixed.

Comment

Comfortably numb w van morison and the band- The departed and the Sopranos.

Comment

Can I add a TV-series?

I simply can not stand Frank Sinatra's Love & Marriage, due to that utterly vile, boring, so damn unfunny show Married with Children, where the producers, actors and writers should all be tied down and fed Bobcat Goldthwait stand-up "comedy" for ten hours daily

Comment

The 'Banana Splits' song in Kick Ass (good use).

Comment

On youtube someone's set the helicopter attack scene from Apocalypse Now to Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones and it works really well.

Comment

Alyxandr - good mention for Carmina Burana.

In the generally average Excalibur, it creates a spine-tingling moment. Arthur is finally risen from his malaise by the Grail (or something like that) - England has been in grey, muddy winter for years and years. Arthur and his knights gallop through an orchard as blossoms burst open in the foreground. And Carmina Burana is playing.

I'm filling up.

Cosmic Dancer works well in Billy Elliott.

And Everybody's Talkin' as wide-eyed John Voight heads off the New York in Midnight Cowboy (a good soundtrack in general).

Comment

On youtube someone's set the helicopter attack scene from Apocalypse Now to Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones and it works really well.
                              This has become a fairly standard way to get students to think about soundtracks in film studies seminars: take an iconic scene, remove its musical accompaniment and substitute another. I've used that sequence for that purpose before.

Comment

I think that it'd work best with the Benny Hill chase music meself...

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                                  Raindrops are Filling Up My Hat - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
                                  That's a superb mis-heard title. And I hope I'm not just pointing it out to you now...

Anyway, someone above said Shaft, which made me think of two other great examples of songs which were not only an inextricable part, in many ways, of their films, but which were also part of soundtracks about a million times better than them.

'Superfly' by Curtis Mayfield, and 'Purple Rain' by Prince. Both from the films of the same name.

Comment

Working...
                                  X