Coronavirus and Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus and Film

The studio postponed the release of the next James Bond Film to November because it expected the outbreak would prevent many people from seeing it in Asia.

Probably the biggest thing in TV this year is a new version of Stephen King's The Stand. But will people want to watch a series about a flu epidemic that kills most of the world.

Comment

I wonder if that will get postponed.

Comment

The Peter Rabbit sequel has been put back until August according to Variety.

Comment

Surely it's the perfect time to release films that are going to have the cinemas empty anyway.

Comment

Contagion that 2011 Soderbergh film with Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow about a disease outbreak that starts in Asia (bats to pigs to people) is now trending on the Apple Store, apparently.

It's pretty good, but watching it now would probably cause undo alarm. The disease in that film kills people much faster than COVID-19 does, by all accounts.

There was also that one with Dustin Hoffman about a disese that liquifies internal organs. I hope that doesn't start trending again.

Comment

Outbreak was pig awful tbh.

Comment

I'd quite ike it though if the Bond franchise finally petered out, even if the cause of its was unfortunate. Horrible rubbish in the main.
                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-03-2020, 01:57.

Comment

I like the Daniel Craig ones a lot, especially Skyfall.

It’s mostly about the music. And the clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    I have a vague memory of seeing in on the theater around 1993 or 94 because what we really wanted to see - a Star Trek film, I think - has sold out, but we’d driven all the way from Williamsburg to the Patrick Henry mall in Newport News, so we watched that instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I have a vague memory of seeing in on the theater around 1993 or 94 because what we really wanted to see - a Star Trek film, I think - has sold out, but we’d driven all the way from Williamsburg to the Patrick Henry mall in Newport News, so we watched that instead.
                      It was probably Star Trek Generations, so you weren't going to have a great night either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        Fucking loved it at the time. I would have been 14 or 15 when it came out. Probably hasn't aged well

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

It was probably Star Trek Generations, so you weren't going to have a great night either way.
                          That's right. I liked Star Trek Generations ok at the time. I along with most of my friends were really into TNG in college and that was the first TNG film so seeing that cast plus William Shatner on the big screen with surround sound with proper special effects (for the time) etc, was exciting. But I don't think I've watched it again or plan to. As I recall, the fate of multiple universes comes down to the result of a fist fight between two old men on a rock.

Comment

I paid money to watch that, purely to watch Kirk die.

Comment

How will a pandemic affect the production of film and TV, not just the lack of open cinemas for distribution?

Comment

Slowly

A Starzz production had about 100 people in the park across the street for most of yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  How will a pandemic affect the production of film and TV, not just the lack of open cinemas for distribution?
                                  I think I saw something about how one of the new Disney+ Marvel shows, the Falcon and Winter Soldier one, has pulled out of Eastern Europe (I think Czech Republic, but I'd have to look it up again) and are probably going to finish it in Atlanta or somewhere else.

So this could be a boon for Canada, Georgia, and other filming locations that are not as cheap as eastern Europe but cheaper than LA or New York.

Comment

I think I saw something about how one of the new Disney+ Marvel shows, the Falcon and Winter Soldier one, has pulled out of Eastern Europe (I think Czech Republic, but I'd have to look it up again) and are probably going to finish it in Atlanta or somewhere else.
                                    I realise this sort of thing always happens but it seems pretty weird to think that they'll be any safer in Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                      I paid money to watch that, purely to watch Kirk die.
                                      Johnny Cash earworm

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

I realise this sort of thing always happens but it seems pretty weird to think that they'll be any safer in Atlanta.
                                        Yeah, I thought that too. Last I checked, the south is doing ok, except Florida because of all the cruise ships and what not. But Atlanta has the busiest airport in the US and, of course, is next to Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Yeah, I thought that too. Last I checked, the south is doing ok, except Florida because of all the cruise ships and what not. But Atlanta has the busiest airport in the US and, of course, is next to Florida.
                                          Surely it's more to do with cast and crew being closer to home and not getting stuck halfway around the world if there a lockdown?

Comment

Right. And Atlanta is the HQ for all Avengers production.

Comment

This is probably going to put a stop to Jason Bourne and Kylo ren shooting a film about medieval trial by combat in Cahir Castle.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post

Surely it's more to do with cast and crew being closer to home and not getting stuck halfway around the world if there a lockdown?
                                                I guess so, but they're going to be filming there for months anyway.

Comment

Probably belongs on a separate TV thread but ...

it seems audiences are going to be increasingly absent from entertainment, chat shows and the like. Stephen Colbert announced yesterday that The Late Show (from NY) will be audience-free from next week. Since people whooping at every third word is one of the annoying features of his show and many others, I'd be just fine with that.

Is it happening with British shows too? Comedy panels with no audience to feed off, having to rejig their timing ("pause for applause - no, just keep going"). Remember to switch off the laughtrack, that would be a bit of a giveaway.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X