No announcement yet.

People who suddenly seem to be all over TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Ayoade is shilling for one of the banks now. He's another in the 'only does one character' mould.

Comment

Ooh, he winds me up something wicked. Hi and Jon Richardson. For whatever reason, they come across with an air that if they were made of chocolate, they'd eat themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Richard Ayoade is shilling for one of the banks now. He's another in the 'only does one character' mould.
        Oxford/Cambridge (he went to one of them, firmly in the age where that shit ain't anywhere near as accesible for us plebs as it once was) uni boy giving it the beans about how we can all make good, if only we're as irreverent and 'wacky' as he is.
        Failing in life? You just aren't quirky enough!

Fuckin' meh.

Comment

Ayoade is rapidly burning through the mountain of goodwill garnered by being in Darkplace.

Comment

You can't get away from Ayoade sometimes, but I'll let him off for the 'we are not an island' HSBC advert because it probably pisses off any hard Brexit types watching it.

Ayoade can come across as a massive smartarse, but I started watching his 'Travel Man' programmes a few months ago and he's much more likeable, vulnerable and self-aware in that. The episodes with Kathy Burke in Barcelona, Johnny Vegas in Dubai, Jack Dee in Naples, Frank Skinner in Zurich and Bob Mortimer in Hamburg are brilliant.

Comment

Yep, the very pointed nature of that ad makes it fine with me, too. I'm sure Ayoade* was just in it for the cut, but it's nonetheless quite brave of HSBC to do that.

*He was sat next to me at the Brixton Ritzy the other week. We've never met, so no words were exchanged. Other than 'excuse me'. (Him.)

Comment

Knowing I'm subconsciously pissing off gammons a bit every time I pay for something is probably the best thing about banking with HSBC to be honest.

Comment

Guessing HSBC did their research prior to leaning on the pro-remain side, especially so considering how international they are.
                  Plus there's the whole money laundering fuckery they got up to a while back, so fuck 'em, and Ayoade.
                  They're just part of the problem (c/o Seinfeld).

Comment

I only chose them because it was the first one I went to that accepted what little ID I had at the time to open an account.

Comment

As Richard Ayoade once put it, "I'm even more humble than people expect."

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                        I only chose them because it was the first one I went to that accepted what little ID I had at the time to open an account.

Hmmmmmm, possibly a reason to decide not to bank with them.

I saw Ayoade filming one of the adverts. Sutton High Street, glamour fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                          Same!
                          I was with nationwide very shortly afterward, to be honest through no personal fault of HSBC. I only applied because the HSBC application had taken a wee while to go through and for everything to arrive, with me holding a concern for it actually going through due to credit rating fears and whatnot... And then both turned up on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            Hmmmmmm, possibly a reason to decide not to bank with them.
                            You're probably right but I was lacking a lot of common sense when I was 18 and I can't be arsed changing now.

Comment

I opened my first account when I was 16 with HSBC because they were the only branch on the village high street where I grew up.

I binned them off when I lost my Switch/Maestro card and they refused to send me a new one, instead sending me a Solo card and refusing to upgrade me back to where I was.

As for Ayoade, loved him in The IT Crowd, don't mind him doing The Crystal Maze as he appears to have that sense of eccentricity the role requires, but other than that I'm not a fan.

Comment

My first account was with Midland (latterly HSBC), but I have no recollection why. In those days there were only 4 banks to speak of, and Barclays was an apartheid supporting set of cunts, so i guess Midland just offered me a marginally better student deal than Nat West or Lloyds.

Comment

Aye, I think he's been good in the IT crowd, travel man and the crystal maze, and as an avatar for this shift over the past 25-30 years toward most of our cultural mediums becoming closed shops for the oxbridge crowd and other persons of influence who possess sufficient heft and reach to open doors for their offspring, resulting in the Jonathan Rosses and Winklemans of this world, he actually brings some inherent talent to the table.
                                  I mean, his comedy timing was always very good in the IT crowd, and I couldn't think of anybody who could have played that part better, I'm just way, way, way too aware of the fact that in this life, this marathon that is life, dudes like that get a ten mile headstart over most of the rest of us, and it'll never be anything but complete fucking bullshit.
                                  Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 22-10-2019, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    My first account was with Midland (latterly HSBC), but I have no recollection why. In those days there were only 4 banks to speak of, and Barclays was an apartheid supporting set of cunts, so i guess Midland just offered me a marginally better student deal than Nat West or Lloyds.
                                    I opened a student account at Nat West when I started Newcastle Poly, largely because it was the closest bank to the campus and was offering music vouchers. Nearly thirty years later I've got the same account and it's still held in Newcastle (although the branch itself closed down some time ago). They certainly got a good return on that music voucher.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry Ennui View Post
                                      You can't get away from Ayoade sometimes, but I'll let him off for the 'we are not an island' HSBC advert because it probably pisses off any hard Brexit types watching it.

Ayoade can come across as a massive smartarse, but I started watching his 'Travel Man' programmes a few months ago and he's much more likeable, vulnerable and self-aware in that. The episodes with Kathy Burke in Barcelona, Johnny Vegas in Dubai, Jack Dee in Naples, Frank Skinner in Zurich and Bob Mortimer in Hamburg are brilliant.
                                      I watched the Dubrovnik one last night because I really loved Dubrovnik when we went there over the summer, but I found it really hard work. Shame, as I loved the first film he directed (Submarine).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I opened a student account at Nat West when I started Newcastle Poly, largely because it was the closest bank to the campus and was offering music vouchers. Nearly thirty years later I've got the same account and it's still held in Newcastle (although the branch itself closed down some time ago). They certainly got a good return on that music voucher.
                                        I also went with Nat West for no other reason than that they were bright enough to have a branch on campus and having a branch to go in was important in those days. This was before the days when banks gave stuff away to entice you in (though I may have got a biro). I stuck with it for years and moved branches whenever I moved. I went elsewhere for my main banking in the 90s but hung on to the Nat West account because it had a couple of small direct debits that I never got round to moving. I still have it and it's nice having a local branch to go into from time to time.

I have no idea who Ayoade is.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Tom Allen seems to be the go to guy for catty comments these days. I first encountered him on the Bake Off Extra Slice show, but recently he seems to be cropping up everywhere. He is quite funny (he did a bit on Mock the Week about going to a buffet in Reading that had me choking with laughter), but like a lot of one trick showmen, I wonder how long he can keep people interested.
                                          I accidentally discovered Tom Allen hosts the Apprentice spin off show. Caught an advert where he is a team captain on a Sky quiz panel show as well. He's certainly getting offers of work at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            But Lloyds were Chile and Pinochet, weren't they?

Comment

Richard Ayoade contributes a superb cameo to the Joanna Hogg film The Souvenir, and I have to say that his performance in the IT crowd Theatre episode means that I can forgive him quite a lot of smart-arsery...

Comment

Welcome Dusty- where have you bin?

(or is that one for the 'used to be all over tv' thread..?)

Comment

Oti Mabuse (dancer on Strictly) is appearing on shows at an increasing rate. More worringly, her very shouty sister (Motsi) is now following suit.

I know it's not a football thread, but Peter Crouch seems to be absolutely everywhere at the moment.
                                                  Last edited by Arturo; 05-12-2019, 19:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                                    Welcome Dusty- where have you bin?

(or is that one for the 'used to be all over tv' thread..?)
                                                    One for the teenagers there...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X