Traumatising children's programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Fenella the Witch in Charlton and the Wheelies scared the crap out of me. She could just APPEAR AT ANY TIME OUT OF THE GROUND! AAAAAARGH
    This. She was scary as.

Comment

Our class was shown this at primary school, I would have been 6 at the time. I found it pretty scary, especially the guy known as 'Number Two'. It never registered with me when I watched Grange Hill a few years later that Mr Bronson was played by the same actor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Burst

Comment

The devastating Lady Of The Cold episode of The Moomins (the Polish animated adaptation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJb0LTYS5w

Comment

Certainly not children's TV of course, and I've probably said it before but at our school in "Humanities" they'd regularly make us watch films and then write about them. Things started relatively lightly with The Russians Are Coming and then they upped the ante considerably by getting a load of 14 year olds in a darkened room and making us watch....... Threads.

Comment

My most traumatic memory from school holiday mornings is a Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan film in which they are trapped in a web and this giant spider is coming for them. Genuinely horrifying for a kid and should really not have been shown as a kids' TV film.

Still causes me nightmares, seriously.

Comment

That thing in the late 60s with the teleporting toadstools that converted people into toadstools themselves.

Comment

Other than Mr Noseybonk, the ghost knight in "Dark Towers" (1981).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST_Lov3Pq0 (about 14m15 into this video).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  There was also a Tom & Jerry episode set during the French Revolution that ended with Tom (or the character being played by Tom, as it were) being sent to the guillotine. I couldn't bloody sleep after that.
                  There was an even scarier Tom & Jerry where Tom was sitting on a railway line waiting for a train to come and kill him. Jerry told the story of how Tom'd tried to woo a female, but lost out to a much richer cat, before saying that his own girlfriend was truer. Then Jerry's girlfriend goes past in a car with another mouse and a sign saying "Just Married" on it, so Jerry goes down to join Tom on the railway line to wait for the train. That cartoon upset me.

Comment

This is the one.

Comment

Yep, remember that one. Another that freaked me out a tad featured a fugitive white mouse that was reported as being a highly combustible robot* (I think?) on a radio news report. This was then re-reported as being a hoax much to the relief of Tom who had previously tried to capture it. Almost inevitably, the thing exploded in his grasp, causing the destruction of the entire city: the action then closed with a further bulletin re-stating the hoax - after which a frazzled Tom emerges from the rubble to announce in a post-apocalyptic monotone 'DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!' That final scene gave me the willies, I don't mind telling you.

Edit: Thanks to GO's link, I found that one also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missing_Mouse

(*It was a radioactive lab rodent, seemingly - which I guess would make more sense given the time.)
                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 28-01-2019, 15:31.

Comment

The Missing Mouse:
                        https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4j0hts

Comment

The driver of the train in The Finishing Line was Don Henderson, who the same year starred in Star Wars as a General in the scenes in the board room with Vader and Tarkin...

Comment

After a lot of Googling trying to remember a show I saw on CBBC when I was about seven with this absolutely horrifying puppet host wearing a gold lame jacket and an Australian accent... I found it:

Fucking hell, it's even worse than I remember.

Comment

So, for me - The Animals Of Farthing Wood. I bet anyone who watched it can still remember the theme tune too.

So much death. Minor characters, leading characters, whole families... But then I suppose it's a journey of refugees and that's kind of what happens. Especially if a shrike thinks you look delicious and wants to impale you on some gorse to eat later.

4pm on the BBC, folks:

Comment

I watched Apaches a few years back and found it hilarious. Then I had a child and it is unwatchable now. So, so sad.

Comment

That Moomins episode is pretty grim for kids stuff,the Lady of the cold reminds me of the Banshee in "Darby O'Gill and the little people ", John Mc Kenzie, director of Apaches, also directed "The Long Good Friday " and a lot of inferior stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusoe View Post
                                    Other than Mr Noseybonk, the ghost knight in "Dark Towers" (1981).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST_Lov3Pq0 (about 14m15 into this video).
                                    Agreed on the Tall Knight, but offset slightly by the fact that he routs the villains at the end.

And no kids TV programme could possibly be as scary as those public information films mentioned previously - kids drowned in disused quarries or being suffocated in old fridges, electrocuted by flying kites into pylons, getting squashed by Ford Cortinas for not looking the right way at a crossing, playing with a sparkler and ending up with their hand wrapped in enough bandages to mummify an elephant - it's a wonder those of us born in the 60s and 70s got any sleep at all after that shit.
                                    Last edited by blameless; 30-01-2019, 16:38.

Comment

I've been looking for this since the thread started. I couldn't remember the name. A Rubovian Legend.

Comment

The Herbs

You're rushed into a high walled, enclosed garden where uncaring, cold posh people live.

You just know they're going to turn their backs on you when Sage - the Flying God Of Terror swoops down to look at you with those eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          So, for me - The Animals Of Farthing Wood. I bet anyone who watched it can still remember the theme tune too.

So much death. Minor characters, leading characters, whole families... But then I suppose it's a journey of refugees and that's kind of what happens. Especially if a shrike thinks you look delicious and wants to impale you on some gorse to eat later.

4pm on the BBC, folks:
                                          Jesus, my wee sister loved that show. I had no idea it was like Come and See for primary school bairns.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-01-2019, 19:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                            I've been looking for this since the thread started. I couldn't remember the name. A Rubovian Legend.

Good thing Gordon Murray decided not to give his Trumptonshire trilogy characters mouths... or any defined facial features at all for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                            X