Tantrums, tiaras and televoting - Eurovision 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Gero. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. I still think that Eurovision is a pile of old cocksquirts, but I cannot help but admire your dedication.

Comment

Sean, its not really a dedication. I am not a 'mentalist' about it. (oh I can tell you facts and figures, but thats more about the music I grew up with).

Eurovision should stay, just to disprove that the X-Factor and all of that have been caught up with and overtaken.

I know thats not a very good reason, but, I think we are going to lose the cup final, and I have a funeral Wednesday, so I need something to hang on to, other than a big pair of hairy man tits.

I like it, because, I can tell people things like 'No, Nena and her fucking balloons were never fucking there, so fuck off' type thing.

Comment

Oh, and trust me on this: I am saving my adjectives: Mr A Barnes, has a lot of descriptive parsonage, which has had me howling in the last (shit, 3?) 3 years.

Comment

ah DiabloRouge: your first post is very pertinent: The France song is rather different, and very much a cut above anything else in this.

However, vote wise, I go for Ukraine. (Mainly because I am slightly pissed, and that the last one in the alphabet I can remember.)

Comment

an pennywise for France.

Done. there is or was nothing better there. And, you know, I dont mind losing, if everyone hears it (Corsican).

Thanks DR. Instant pertinence.

Comment

Incidentally, was there a fight last night?

Comment

What happened? Was every person in Ireland drug induced into voting for that pair of cunts?

Jedward are very popular amongst a subset of the irish population and in all fairness to them are pretty incredible.

they are also creatures of louis walsh, and he is frequently seen swanning around a certain type of irish pub and club with them in tow like an irish hugh hefner.

this is one of the most hilarious pieces of television I've ever seen They completely demolished vincent browne who is like a cranky crazy, and much more frightening version of jeremy paxman. he can't see a beginning a middle or and end, or any of the edges to their madness.

If jedward are the price we pay for a more tolerant and accepting culture, then I don't particularly mind.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote:
                  21 is
                  Ireland

Without hearing, I will guess for the plaintiff lullaby bollix which never wins, but always gets into the final.

oh, its fucking Jedward... nobody warned me about this. YOU BASTARDS.

(For the art):

OK: Can I just ask? WHAT WERE YOU FUCKING THINKING?

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/history/year/participant-profile/?song=26133

The problem I can see, as a 44 year old, is that this will go down a storm in somewhere like G A Y, and it must be stopped. Permanently.

O M F G.
                  Admit it, that song will be running around in your head like a real earworm for the next 6 days - will they buy it in Armenia is the question?

Comment

Come on, Jedward for fucks sake. This is life imitating art. It's My Lovely Horse done for real, just so they can guarantee they don't have to host the fucker next year.

Comment

if you're trying not to win you send dustin the turkey, or that gay ginger brother and sister combo we sent the A couple of years ago. You don't send super fabulous, really pretty, brain damaged himbo 18 year old twins.

Comment

Five best winners of the last 25 years:

5. 2006, Lordi: Even allowing for the costumes, it was a lively song, and you have to give it credit as the only rock song winner.

4. 2010, Lena: Won't go down as a classic, but it showed the songs were entering the mainstream again.

3. 1993, Niamh Kavanagh: Compared to the rest of our drippy sequence of winners, that song had soul.

2. 1997, Katrina and the Waves: The last time the UK cared about the competition, and an upbeat catchy number.

1. 1987, Johnny Logan: Only remember this from a Now tape, but even then it could still give you goosebumps.

Comment

So, first semi-final tonight, here's the running order:

1. Poland
                          2. Norway
                          3. Albania
                          4. Armenia
                          5. Turkey
                          6. Serbia
                          7. Russia
                          8. Switzerland
                          9. Georgia
                          10. Finland
                          11. Malta
                          12. San Marino
                          13. Croatia
                          14. Iceland
                          15. Hungary
                          16. Portugal
                          17. Lithuania
                          18. Azerbaijan
                          19. Greece

It's supposed to be half-juries/half-televoting again this year, but can that break up the Balkan Bloc and Viking Empire?

Comment

I'm very tempted to have a punt on the pretty Irish boys. I won a fair amount on Jordi a few years back.

They do a version of Goody Two Shoes, you know, sadly it wasn't a single.

Comment

Why do Brits get to vote tonight, but not tomorrow?

Comment

They realise you're obliged to give us full points every year in a lose-lose tradeoff for the North, even if we don't always return the favour, so you can only vote tonight. Jordi Cruyff would make an interesting Euro entry, can't be long before the Catalans break away.

EurovisionOdds.co.uk Latest:

1. France 3/1
                                2. UK 10/1
                                3. Estonia 13/1
                                =4. Ireland 15/1
                                =4. Azerbaijan 15/1
                                =4. Germany 15/1.

Comment

Douze Points Rouges wrote:
                                  3. 1993, Niamh Kavanagh: Compared to the rest of our drippy sequence of winners, that song had soul.
                                  Around the time she won Eurovision, Niamh Kavanagh was working for Allied Irish Banks. She was one of the scabs who crossed the picket line during a workers' strike earlier that year.

The great Eamonn McCann wrote at the time: "So there's another reason to throw her into the Liffey."

'What's Another Year' by Johnny Logan and 'Walking The Streets In The Rain' by Butch Moore are the only Irish Eurovision songs I can listen to without flinching.

Comment

Right - it's about to kick off now. Are we staying in here or going over to Music?

Comment

We should go to music. This is really painful so far.

Comment

The BBC have replaced the excellent Paddy O'Connell with Scott Mills for the semis. Scott Mills has already made me laugh once.

Comment

I'll take that as staying in here, then.

I do like semi-final night, because you usually get some really good ones that tragically and inexplicably bomb out, like Bulgaria's "Progidy with a sexy lady singer instead of Keith Flint" effort a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I'll fly solo for a bit until everyone gets in.

Comment

Key change #1.

About the only thing worth saying about Poland.

Comment

Hello, sir!

Unobjectionable landfill disco, but plus points for singing in Polish. That's about it.

Comment

Oh god. Sara Cox. As suitable for voice-overs as she was for radio.

Anyway. Norway. In Swahili!

Not just a missed note, but a whole line of them in each verse.

Comment

A jolly number from the townships of Norway here.

Comment

She's flatter than Norwich, isn't she? Pity because the song is mildly diverting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X