Captain Planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Planet

Not sure if this was shown in the UK, pretty much the same era as the Turtles, and the message was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. The basic plot was that five teens in the five continents each found a ring representing the four traditional elements, while the last one was stuck with the rather wimpy Heart. The five would then fight villains committing some environmental crime, the rings combining to form the jolly green title character, who inevitably saved the day. To further emphasise the point, the show always ended with the characters recycling bottles, making compost etc, it's only in hindsight you realise how truly bizarre the series was.

Captain Planet

I do remember this - it was broadcast during school holidays, part of a regular Banana Splits-hosted morning extravaganza. Subtle or not, it had no effect on me, I'm afraid - I didn't recycle shit.

(Nor did I have a compost toilet)

Comment

Captain Planet

I had some Captain Planet pyjamas at the time.

Comment

Captain Planet

Where they are now:

Linka Petrova went to work as environmental controller for a large Aluminium smelting plant in Russia now owned by Roman Abramovich. She has not been seen since 1995.

Gi Na fell in love with an Australian backpacking tourist who visited her Malaysian beach in 1998. Telling her he was coming to Britain to study dolphins at the famous Southampton University Oceanography Department, she followed him to England. She still works double shifts as a barmaid today in a run-down Earls Court public house, while "Shane" continues to travel back and forward between England and the Far East on "fact-finding missions".

"Ma-Ti: He Talks To The Animals" enjoyed meteoric, if brief, success on worldwide TV in the 1990s, as the young man wowed audiences with his apparent ability to comunicate with wild and domestic animals. However, audiences soon became bored of learning that their pets' deepest conscious thoughts apparently consisted almost entirely of "I want some food" or "I need to defecate", and the act quickly dropped off television and became a sideshow in Las Vegas. Ma-Ti has been scheduled to appear on "I'm a celebrity: Get me out of here" in 2011.

Kwame (President Kwame Ngoro of Swanizaland, 2004-2006) was elected President in his country's first open elections for thirty years. In shutting down the country's notorious copper and zinc mines, he was singlehandedly responsible for cleansing the Swaniza River of mercury and other toxic by-products, and named Greenpeace's Man of the Year. Unfortunately, almost 50,000 Swanizis were made redundant as a direct or indirect result of the mine closures, and the country's currency deflated by almost 85%. In the popular uprising of 2006 Ngoro was deposed, and he fled to Paris, where he occasionally lectures today at environmental conferences.

Wheeler Danton is now Vice President of Production (Gulf of Mexico) for British Petroleum.

Comment

Captain Planet

Captain Planet? No. Captain Zep (super space detective)? Yes, him I remember.

Comment

Captain Planet

Captain Planet, like the Hurricanes, was horribly racist.

Comment

Captain Planet

I can't remember anything about the TV show itself, or barely anything. I was exactly the right age to see it, though. And seeing this thread title has made me realise that I can still sing the first few lines of the theme music.

Comment

Captain Planet

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                Where they are now:

Linka Petrova went to work as environmental controller for a large Aluminium smelting plant in Russia now owned by Roman Abramovich. She has not been seen since 1995.

Gi Na fell in love with an Australian backpacking tourist who visited her Malaysian beach in 1998. Telling her he was coming to Britain to study dolphins at the famous Southampton University Oceanography Department, she followed him to England. She still works double shifts as a barmaid today in a run-down Earls Court public house, while "Shane" continues to travel back and forward between England and the Far East on "fact-finding missions".

"Ma-Ti: He Talks To The Animals" enjoyed meteoric, if brief, success on worldwide TV in the 1990s, as the young man wowed audiences with his apparent ability to comunicate with wild and domestic animals. However, audiences soon became bored of learning that their pets' deepest conscious thoughts apparently consisted almost entirely of "I want some food" or "I need to defecate", and the act quickly dropped off television and became a sideshow in Las Vegas. Ma-Ti has been scheduled to appear on "I'm a celebrity: Get me out of here" in 2011.

Kwame (President Kwame Ngoro of Swanizaland, 2004-2006) was elected President in his country's first open elections for thirty years. In shutting down the country's notorious copper and zinc mines, he was singlehandedly responsible for cleansing the Swaniza River of mercury and other toxic by-products, and named Greenpeace's Man of the Year. Unfortunately, almost 50,000 Swanizis were made redundant as a direct or indirect result of the mine closures, and the country's currency deflated by almost 85%. In the popular uprising of 2006 Ngoro was deposed, and he fled to Paris, where he occasionally lectures today at environmental conferences.

Wheeler Danton is now Vice President of Production (Gulf of Mexico) for British Petroleum.
                Some posts just need a "Like" button.

Comment

Captain Planet

Rogin that's great.

I remember this well. I remember being quite disappointed with it even as a small child, so it mustn't have been up to much. The theme tune is pretty catchy though, I think that, Penny Crayon and the Raggydolls have the most 'stuck in your head' style songs of kids' shows from the 80s.

Comment

Captain Planet

I remember Captain Zep! I even remember some of the words to the theme tune.

Comment

Working...
                    X