Jarmusch revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jarmusch revisited

The last thing of his I saw was Broken Flowers, which on the old board, had OTFers well polarised. I'm siding with Mumpo and Mark Felt's views from there.

Hobbes' view on Ghost Dog in the same thread is so far beyond wrong that's it's departed from a percievable scale.
    The only other one I've seen is Mystery Train, but that was some while back and I don't remember it clearly, other than the scene in which the Japanese guy takes pictures of his non-descript hotel room.

Jason v listed his favourites here

1) Stranger Than Paradise
    Ebert said it best, saying "It makes a mountain out of a molehill, and succeeds." The one that started it all. (One of my most bizarre nights in NYC was seeing former WWF Intercontinental and Tag Team Champ Greg "The Hammer" Valentine walking by, and seconds later the two from this movie dressed in their same exact clothes from the movie.)

2) Mystery Train
    A beautiful tribute to Memphis, with three stories centered around a hotel on the outskirts of town.

3) Down By Law
    More of Jarmusch's fixation with the South. A little uneven, (I jated the "I scream You Scream We All Scream For Ice Cream" scene,) but probably his best photographed film.

4) Dead Man
    Some people despised this, but I couldn't get enough of it. A great precursor to HBO's superior Deadwood, and a nice turn by Johnny Depp.

5) Ghost Dog
    I guess this was one for Jarmusch fans. Yes, the girl mafia boss was a bit much, but I loved watching Forrest Whitaker twirl that sword around.

6) Coffee and Cigarettes
    AHA ! GOTCHA ! The 6 minute Roberto Begnini version ! HAHAHA!
    Do his recent films displace anything from this top 6? I'd put Ghost Dog above both Mystery Train and Broken Flowers.

Jarmusch revisited

I stand by it completely. It would be an utterly, laughably, appallingly bad film, if it wasn't so fist-gnawingly pretentious and boring as to render any possible amusement impossible. it makes M Night Shamalyan films look subtle and nuanced. Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that Forest Whitacker is famous, I'd have believed it was made by some twat of a hippy 6th form film student.
    It is a film so bad it put me off eating ice cream for months. I'm glad jimski liked it when I donated it to him, I felt bad about giving it to him when I did, rather as if I'd taken a dump in an envelope and posted him that. In fact, I'd have been less incredulous if I'd done just that and he'd said he liked it.

Comment

Jarmusch revisited

Film is subjective, of course, so I can understand you saying boring because you didn't find it engaging. What I don't see is the validity of labelling it pretentious. I'm curious as to what specifically leads you to say that? Likewise, the non-subtle and non-nuanced claims.

Comment

Jarmusch revisited

It's sad when you don't understand your own jokes. I seriously don't understand what I was thinking for #6.

He was/is a huge inspiration to me. What cracks me up to no end was meeting 2 fellow students of his at NYU. One was my documentary teacher in college, the other is a lady who teaches art here at the Louisiana Childrens Museum. Both of them seem to have this "I can't believe people think he's a genius" somewhat bitter feeling about him. It's kind of hilarious.

And indeed, that was one of the weirder 10 minutes in my NYC life, seeing Greg The Hammer then those two actors. On back-to-back days I ran into Henry Rollins and Alan Ginsburg, but that wasn't on the same day, same hour.

Comment

Jarmusch revisited

Somehow I always forget about Dead Man, and then when I'm reminded of it I remember what an amazing film it is.

Comment

Working...
          X