TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: Quite amused at the way they portray Blackburn as some sort of old fossil when even now he's still on the BBC and yesterday was announced as the new Sounds of the Sixties presenter.
    This is probably because Blackburn has always been an old fossil.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: "Wham, just like Brighton, going down". Think Peel might be upset over the Cup defeat.
      Which, surely, didn't happen for another three months?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The parachute tops are Boy repros of Seditionaries' designs, I'm told.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: "Wham, just like Brighton, going down". Think Peel might be upset over the Cup defeat.
          I like those references to current events. Men At Work were introduced a few weeks back with a comment about how Australia might not have won the cricket (they'd just lost the fourth test in that winter's Ashes) but they were winning in the charts.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Serge Gainsbourg wrote:
            Originally posted by longeared
            "Wham, just like Brighton, going down". Think Peel might be upset over the Cup defeat.
            Which, surely, didn't happen for another three months?
            I think that longeared is referring to Brighton's shock win at Anfield in Rd Five (20/2/83). Peel would've been most put-out by that.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: Quite amused at the way they portray Blackburn as some sort of old fossil when even now he's still on the BBC and yesterday was announced as the new Sounds of the Sixties presenter.
              He was three years younger than Peel, but "fossil" may refer to the fact that his music tastes never pretended to move with the times, whereas other presenters would feign some interest in the current scene

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Hurrah! Kid Jensen in his St Mirren jumper. Have we missed Captain Sensible in his?

Also Orange Juice although the literal ripping of paper was a bit much

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

That was a really great episode.

I counted 3 bands the Jo Boxers were clearly ripping off (Dexys, Madness, Dr. Feelgood) but there could have been many more I failed to recognise.
                  Orange Juice's bassist had clearly spent a long time in the BBC bar.
                  The Nick Heywood live balls up was good to see in context, too.
                  Duran Duran were freakishly good in terms of ability and looks for a non-manufactured band.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

steveeeeeeeee wrote: That was a really great episode.
                    If the play-out track had been The Style Council, that would've been the best episode ever!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Stev9e: Nick Heyward.

Which reminds me of a Smash Hits interview with Paul Weller and Nick Heyward together. Apparently they used to take the piss out of each other but had never met, and eventually, rode off into the sunset as best pals afterwards.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Duran Duran were freakishly good in terms of ability and looks for a non-manufactured band.
                        Eh?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote:
                          Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee
                          Duran Duran were freakishly good in terms of ability and looks for a non-manufactured band.
                          Eh?
                          I was trying to work that one out too. Looks, yes, but surely for most non-manufactured bands the ability is a given thing?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Various Artist wrote: surely for most non-manufactured bands the ability is a given thing?
                            All bands have ability, for sure, but freakishly good ability? John Taylor and Nick Rhodes are technically superb musicians and were finer pin-ups than any modern-day boy band I can think of (both men still look amazing). From that era, Spandau Ballet are the most similar act, but both their music and appearance is lumpen in comparison to Duran Duran.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Why has the BBC continuity announcer just said that the late repeat is on "earlier than billed"? Surely if you tune in at the advertised time it's too late to find out that it started early.

Anyway, here's the famous New Order performance...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

steveeeeeeeee wrote: All bands have ability, for sure, but freakishly good ability? John Taylor and Nick Rhodes are technically superb musicians and were finer pin-ups than any modern-day boy band I can think of (both men still look amazing). From that era, Spandau Ballet are the most similar act, but both their music and appearance is lumpen in comparison to Duran Duran.
                                Eh?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I've got déjà vu all of a sudden. Either that or there's quite an echo in here.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Jah Womble wrote:
                                    All bands have ability, for sure, but freakishly good ability? John Taylor and Nick Rhodes are technically superb musicians and were finer pin-ups than any modern-day boy band I can think of (both men still look amazing). From that era, Spandau Ballet are the most similar act, but both their music and appearance is lumpen in comparison to Duran Duran.
                                    Eh?
                                    What am I even meant to reply to here? Say something more than "eh?" and we might have a discussion rather than a string of passively snobby put downs.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: Anyway, here's the famous New Order performance...
                                      I managed to turn over to BBC4 just after NO had finished on the early showing. It's not an altogether unfamiliar performance (you are a generous person, longeared) though.

It's not as awesome as their run through Fine Time on the Pops from December 1988.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                        Eh?
                                        What am I even meant to reply to here? Say something more than "eh?" and we might have a discussion rather than a string of passively snobby put downs.
                                        Apologies - was just pulling your plonker there. Pay no heed.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I'm aware that I'm quite drunk, but did I really just see Christopher Timothy in the Kajagoogoo video?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared, yesterday.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: I'm aware that I'm quite drunk, but did I really just see Christopher Timothy in the Kajagoogoo video?
                                              The Creatures' video would be a better fit.

I'll keep an eye out for him, although I may have approximated your pre-Pops warm-up by the time I sit down to it.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

>>>longeared, yesterday.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

.....while in Haywards Heath, a 15 year-old Brett Anderson was busy scribbling notes during 'She's In Parties' by Bauhaus.....

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Serge Gainsbourg wrote: .....while in Haywards Heath, a 15 year-old Brett Anderson was busy scribbling notes during 'She's In Parties' by Bauhaus.....
                                                    The influence of PiL/Metal Box had never really clicked with me before, but the whole TOTP performance and the song itself is very much a more radio-friendly and polished interpretation of Metal Box era PiL.

Still a great song, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X