TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

The first verse of Ant Rap sounds like that Chris Waddle / Basile Boli collaboration a decade later.

Christmas Day episode, presented by the Radio 1 DJ's. Link is to the first part, subsequent parts should be easily findable from there. For some reason it doesn't include Shakey doing "You Drive Me Crazy" after OMD. Also includes a couple of songs we've missed during the repeats.

As it starts on Thursday, here's the episode listing from 1982. Think we should get 40 shows out of that lot.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

1982 looks a bir grim, we're entering the Shakatak / Shalamar era.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I avoid looking up what's coming up, but reading next weeks Radio Times apparently The Mobiles Drowning In Berlin gets an airing, a truly awful single.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I remember quite liking that for about a week, but it really was sub-Siouxsie & The Banshees nonsense.

longeared wrote: Well that was a surreal viewing experience, watching the Christmas Eve edition while a huge thunderstorm outside caused repeated picture break up.
          ...for that authentic 1982 experience.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Will the 1982 World Cup songs be featured or do they fall in Yewtree episodes?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

jwdidier27 wrote: 1982 looks a bir grim, we're entering the Shakatak / Shalamar era
              What's grim about Shakatak and Shalamar? OK there are a few criticisms you could level at them - they're both a bit lightweight perhaps - but I wouldn't describe either of them as 'grim'.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Oh, and just a reminder that Friday's documentary 'The Story of 1982' is on the iPlayer, it's every bit as good as the 1981 edition with the bonus that you'll get to see what is surely the biggest fried tomato in the world.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Looked like it was a tinned tomato to me.

From that, Madness in a living room, Jocky Wilson Said, Jeffrey Daniels' first dance performance and Pigbag getting pissed will all be absent from the repeats as they fell in Yewtree episodes.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Just caught up on last nights as I was watching some other stuff at the time. Quite dull, notable performance was one I flagged up recently The Mobiles Drowning In Berlin. Terrible, terrible stuff. Lead singers brief was obviously, look like Siouxsie, sing like Toyah.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Thursday's leap into 1982 was like some high concept '80s nostalgia film, almost too perfect in its detail.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It was Powell joining in with the peripheral dancers that set the tone for this one, and the ones in the middle of the set were even weirder.
                        The Human League were singing live at the end weren't they?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Marcel Mumpeau wrote:
                          Originally posted by jwdidier27
                          1982 looks a bir grim, we're entering the Shakatak / Shalamar era
                          What's grim about Shakatak and Shalamar? OK there are a few criticisms you could level at them - they're both a bit lightweight perhaps - but I wouldn't describe either of them as 'grim'.
                          I don't know - there was something soul-destroying about Shakatak and their rather characterless brand of 'elevator disco', which always sounded to me as though it were made for talking over.

Shalamar were nothing like and had some okay pop moments. I think people lump them together because their names are sort of similar.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

You could watch these episodes alongside the last series of Not The Nine O'Clock News, which started around this time. Rail strike, SDP, Solidarity, Thatcher in a slump pre-Falklands, etc. Electronic music captured something grim about the period; the parallels between Britain and Berlin, say, as parodied in "Nice Video, Shame About The Song".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQamw4xxxHY

Mel Smith seems to be playing Marco.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I've never seen that before and it really made me laugh. Several recognisable bits there, and yes, he does a good Marco.

The real thing was at the Rich Kids the other night, so there in the same with other 80s video faces Midge Ure, Gary Kemp, and Rusty Egan (onstage) and Kevin Rowland (in the audience).

I should catch up with the TOTPs, haven't watched them for a while.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Deep joy tonight, XTC doing Senses Working Overtime, so good I nearly forgot The Mobiles. And you know what, I couldn't believe I found that Gillan track agreeable.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

longeared wrote: As it starts on Thursday, here's the episode listing from 1982. Think we should get 40 shows out of that lot.
                                  Can't believe Garth Crooks presented an episode.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Back to pre-revolution days with the dance routine to ELO, looking like it was cobbled together when something else fell through late on.

A guilty pleasure highlight of the last couple of weeks has been the Dead Ringer for Love video, storming stuff.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Squarewheelbike wrote: I couldn't believe I found that Gillan track agreeable.
                                      Neither can I.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

"Madness in a living room" - which also happened in The Young Ones IIRC, unless I'm conflating it with The House Of Fun playing while they take their dirty underwear to the launderette.

There was definitely Ace Of Spades in the living room.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Walt Flanagans Chien wrote: Back to pre-revolution days with the dance routine to ELO, looking like it was cobbled together when something else fell through late on.

A guilty pleasure highlight of the last couple of weeks has been the Dead Ringer for Love video, storming stuff.
                                          That era of Meatloaf always makes me think of Earl Hacker.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Been interesting last few weeks, with the return of Peel and a seeming more left of centre content. That said, tonight's edition seemed that the team behind Zoo said "oh feck it" and went back to type with girls in lederhosen for Duetscher Girls. (Sp). First performance for Goombay Dance Band on way to No1. And was that Paul Youngs' session bass player on Gary Numans' rather odd performance?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Caught up on the last few episodes this week now the Tour de France has finished. There have been some fine songs on the show, so why did the record buying public of 1982 make Tight Fit number one?

Fun fact; Toni Basil is older than Julio Iglesias.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

By one whole day, it would seem.

During this 'Greatest Year in Pop' (sic), the Top Three of 27/3/82 were the Goombay Dance Band, Tight Fit and Julio Iglesias. I seem to recall Peter Powell (of all people) having a right old moan about that on his teatime R1 show.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Couldn't believe the guitarist from Bow Wow Wow was allowed to wear that boobs T-shirt, bet Points of View was lively after.

Also, what happened to Lynval from Fun Boy 3? Simon. Bates seemed concerned, but wouldn't divulge why.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Bates' tipping of that shrieking nightmare Associates lot for mega-stardom was hilarious too.

Adrian Gurvitz and his band all seemed to want to look like Jeff Lynne. Pity they couldn't sound like him. What a dreadful song.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X