TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

The BBC website is showing that the episode from 04/01/79 will be broadcast on BBC4 on Thursday January 9th, so presumably it's carrying on next year and this hiatus is just to allow for a catch up.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Oh good. I thought that I'd read somewhere that they were stopping, but I can't find any evidence for this.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

There wouldn't be much point, would there? It gets a decent audience from what I can gather, and they've 20+ more years of repeats to play out.

I mean, I fully anticipate revisiting Blur vs Oasis from my bathchair. Or something.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I'm a couple of weeks behind, but strong thigh and, um, pelvic work from Legs & Co on 'One Nation Under A Groove'. I'm now a week behind and still unable to fathom my older brother's enthusiasm for the least known Miliband brother, Frankie.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Dreadful line up last night bar Chic and Ian Dury.

What did anybody think of Peter Powell and his kiss on an unsuspecting member of the audience?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

From what I can gather, Powell was one of the more innocuous R1 DJs. (Cue claim to the contrary by 55-year-old woman from Daventry...)

ONJ's A Little More Love was among the best records she ever made.

Racey, on the other hand, were Godawful.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Powell must have been ripped on some substances when he did these shows. No sane person could be so visibly excited about hosting such nonsense sober.

That Anne Murray is what Karen Carpenter would have ended up looking like with mumsier hair and no eating disorder.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Anyone of a nervous disposition may not want to see Mike Read in his leather trousers.

Also, feast your eyes on Peter Green's doppelganger during Two Man Sound's interesting sounding piece. Nazareth also appeared, six years after their last appearance we're reliably informed and precisely six years out of time judging by their rendition.

Surprise was seeing the Pointer Sisters do Sly & The Family Stone's 'Everybody is a Star', not wishing to stray especially far from the original in terms of style or delivery. Also seeing Legs and Co in split-screen had a touch of Hot Gossip in Kenny Everett visually.

I keep my fingers crossed that the 22 Feb 79 episode doesn't get canned as that was my 7th birthday, with the Heart of Glass video a fond, fond memory. With Read, Powell and Jensen in the TOTP roster then there's a chance I may get my wish, unless the Yard nicks them all in the meantime...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I had at least three singles from the week-before-last's top 10.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Looking at the UK charts for 3 Feb 1979, I also had three top 10 songs on record(Ian Dury, Racey and, on LP, Olivia Newton-John).

I note that on #11 is a nominee for my worst record ever, "Hello This Is Joanie".

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I said week-before-last...

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

G-Man wrote: Looking at the UK charts for 3 Feb 1979, I also had three top 10 songs on record(Ian Dury, Racey and, on LP, Olivia Newton-John).

I note that on #11 is a nominee for my worst record ever, "Hello This Is Joanie".
                          But but..."I'll never see her again and kiss that funny face" - what a lyric!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Dooleys cheesiness is all but confirmed by Peter Powell's confession that he was singing along with them.
                            Billy Idol was far more concerned with trying to curl his lip than actually synch with the lyrics on King Rocker.
                            And one of Legs and Co appears to be wearing an outfit made of bubble wrap.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Pretenders and Lene Lovich rescue the show, though.
                              What else did Lene Lovich do besides Lucky number?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

And The Skids and Blondie as well. Turned out to be a good episode in the end, despite Powell hosting usually being a bad omen for the usual conveyor belt of bland that is likely to follow.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

If you've got an hour to fill, then Ultimate Number 1s at the BBC is worth a watch. So far there's been Sonny & Cher (I got you babe), Bee Gees (Mass o' chew sets) T Rex (Metal Guru), and Donna Summer (I feel love). Not bad so far, though there could be a lot more dross to come later on.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

And Tubeway Army now. Excellent.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

When it comes to the fromage Powell all by himself towers over the Dooleys. Was he always that enthusiastic?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Like an overeager puppy, wasn't he?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

It says it all when even Anthea Turner finds you too effervescent to continue with your life together.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Stupid page break.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

He's unnerving to watch at times.

That Billy idol looked the business but all things considered he was quite shit really.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Alan Price and his Vauxhall Conference Billy Joel effort was truly dreadful.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

George wrote: He's unnerving to watch at times.

That Billy idol looked the business but all things considered he was quite shit really.
                                                  All mouth and no trousers, as my nan used to say.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Enough cynicism - the Third World track played over the Kaleidoscope lensed end credits is fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X