TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOTP on BBC4

Sean of the Shed wrote: And now what seems to be a Spanish guy with an affro called Santa Esmeralda doing a disco version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". It is of course entirely possible that he is some bloke from Essex called Dave whose only link to Spain is an annual holiday to the Costa Brava.
    His name was Leroy Gomez; Santa Esmeralda was the band. And their version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" was one of the few musical highlights of 1977. The album version, which took up all of side 1, was particularly good.

And, yes, Darts rocked. Though my favourite is "Come Back My Love".

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Sean of the Shed wrote: And now what seems to be a Spanish guy with an affro called Santa Esmeralda doing a disco version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". It is of course entirely possible that he is some bloke from Essex called Dave whose only link to Spain is an annual holiday to the Costa Brava.
      Wareham, Massachusetts, actually.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

And their version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" was one of the few musical highlights of 1977.
        Shurely shome mishtake?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Not if you genuinely prefer that oul pish to the Pistols et al.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The qualifier "one of" surely clarifies that there were other highlights.

And, yeah, I stand by it that Santa Esmeralda's version of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", especially the LP version, is excellent. At least if one likes disco.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

God that Carvells song was agony. A Beach Boys-esque homage to the noble art of skateboarding which should have served as a warning to Avril Lavigne. It puts things into perspective when Mull of Kintyre was bearable afterwards. Given the intense competition for the No. 1 spot, it was quite a prediction from the Kid afterwards.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Egyptian Reggae, dance routine and all, though hard lines on the two Leggies that ended up as the camel (though they moved beautifully). I surprised myself by singing along to How Deep is Your Love, and I haven't been drinking.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood was done a disservice by the TOTP orchestra, true to form there; just listen to the original on the Kill Bill soundtrack to hear it in all its glory. It's bitching.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Was the other side of the Wings single, "Girls School", ever played on TV? It's miles better than MoK.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I don't think it was given a run-out on TOTP, but I recall wunnerful Radio 1 playing it a fair bit. (I thought it was even worse than Mull of Kintyre, myself...)

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

"Eighteen years and younger and you know what she's waiting for" I wouldn't fancy it's chances of getting a repeat at the moment even on a non Saville edition.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Any worse than "She was just 17, you know what I mean?" or its parent "Sweet Little 16"?

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

A fresh faced but still snarly Billy Idol kicks off a somewhat varied offering this week. I wanted him dead after he murdered L.A. Woman but his Xmas album and his cameo on The Wedding Singer have redeemed him somewhat.

Fine bit of Pub Rock with Graham Parker & The Rumour, and a nice wooly hat on display during Manfred Mann's Earth Band's performance. Must have been cold. I feel a similar chill with Mull of Kintyre. That bonfire reminded me of The Wicker Man and at this point I think Macca would have been worth sacrificing.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I thought the Gen X song was quite lame, sounding more like Brendon's effort from earlier in the year rather than the Sex Pistols.

The tune that baffled me was The Banned. Quite a fun little guitar riff, though the drummer/lead singer's hair was amusingly square. I am surprised that I have not heard that song before, either when I was 10 or even on radio since.

Just started the Elton John special, though getting the girls to stop staring at the screen and get dressed for school means that I had to stop at Covington. We like her at Gripper Towers.

The kids love Den Hegarty. I guess its a sign of Darts' desperation to sell records that they have been on three times with Daddy Cool, all with different performances/outfits, instead of the usual use of the tape of the first performance.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I was sitting with my eldest son (21) watching the back to back repeats on Thursday night - he was slack jawed in bewilderment at the quality of music on offer - I could find nothing in my armoury to defend my generation from The Dooleys, and punk had been alive and well for 12 months.

Mrs TTDD also noted that Flick Colby must have only taught her dancers two different routines.

Truly shocking episodes apart from Manferd Mann's Earthband & Graham Parker.

The gimp who was the drummer in The Banned (both group and song has passed me by over the decades) looked like a dead ringer of the bloke who did a duet of "Crying" with Del Boy's girlfriend in Fools and Horses who had a speech impediment and couldn't pronounce his R's.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The Banned song was a cover of a mod song from 1966; singer looks like a far less talented version of Steve Marriott. There's a "Girl Can't Help It" riff in there.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

The 'wild youth' of Bromley sully the pristine purity of TOTP. Won't somebody think of the children?

Did you see that look Blackburn gives as the camera pans on to him as well? Confusion mixed with contempt.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Tony declares confidently that Hot Chocolate have never made a bad record - Put Your Love In Me suggests otherwise.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

George wrote: Tony declares confidently that Hot Chocolate have never made a bad record - Put Your Love In Me suggests otherwise.
                                      Indeed, history now tells us that with the exception of Peel, the Radio 1 old guard shat their pants at the onset of punk/new wave and hated it. Still only took another 15 years for them to finally get rid of the likes of DLT, the hairy tosspot et al. Maybe if some of them had been sex offenders they could have got rid of them quicker... Oh, hold on!

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Tony Blackburn only really liked MOBO, especially Tamla Motown. That's where his passion and knowledge lay and where he should have stayed - presenting programmes about soul and soul-influenced pop. He used to bitch about glam rock before punk.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Some have stuck up for Graham Parker & the Rumour up thread but New York Shuffle is further proof that Pub Rock should have been permanently quarantined in the boozer. This lot murdering Hold Back The Night a few months ago was a real low point of the '77 rerun.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

We're now into 1978, and BBC4 has just shown a 'Best Of' compilation featuring Motors, ELO, 10cc, Boney M, Rose Royce, Sham 69 and, of course, Jilted John.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

This gorgeous Jimmy Ruffin performance was shown on TOTP2 but the studio does not look like TOTP. The drumming also sounds too good for the TOTP orchestra. Guess: The background letters may represent Cilla:

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

1978 reruns to continue:

Delighted about this. Thoroughly enjoyed 1977 (girls liked Boney M, Joe Tex, Space and all Legs & Co routines; I enjoyed The Saints, Adverts, ELO and Joy Sarney).

Looking forward to Jilted John, Dan Hill, Dee D. Jackson, and more Sue and Lulu from Legs & Co.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

Hamish! Dougal! wrote: We're now into 1978, and BBC4 has just shown a 'Best Of' compilation featuring Motors, ELO, 10cc, Boney M, Rose Royce, Sham 69 and, of course, Jilted John.
                                                  Watched that with the girls this morning. All agreed that Sham 69 were dreadful.

Comment

TOTP on BBC4

I think that was partially 'the point' with Sham 69, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X