No announcement yet.

TOTP on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconded on that Lionel Richie video: even at the time - during which I was at art school, and something similar had happened - I thought it very questionable. It looks seriously clunky now, that’s for sure. (Number one for six bloody weeks, too…)

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
    They look more or less exactly like you'd expect them to, surely?
    I’m guessing that GO’s referring to the slightly odd Ruby Flipper dance routine that accompanied their hit? Was it Ruby Flipper? I’d lost track by then. (Just looked it up, and they were back with Pan’s People again.)

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
      The video for "Hello" is quite uncomfortable in today's day and age. Assuming she's a university student, then Lionel Ritchie is really crossing an ethical line that should lead to dismissal.
      Indeed, there's a fair bit of stalking and harassment going on - walking behind her in corridors, ringing her up and not saying anything.

I was watching this with my daughter and her boyfriend last night, hoping that 1984 would throw up something decent for them, and had my head in my hands when "Hello" was revealed as number 1. But then I remembered the video and said to them "Have you seen this? You've got to see this." Three minutes of disbelief and hilarity followed. From 40 years' distance, it's incredible to think it wasn't a piss-take.

Anyway, we watched this and the vastly superior 1980 edition, and then watched a few more from the 90s on iplayer. It was a very enjoyable evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Ironic that Rush had a woman with them, seeing as most of their fans never have.
        Ho ho.

Comment

I suppose the other seriously uncomfortable thing regarding the Hello video is that the lady in question is a very vulnerable young adult. You can just imagine the whistle blower talking to the Dean,

"I need to report Lionel Ritchie's predatory behaviour"
          "Oh, is he at it again, stalking young girls in the corridors, nuisance calling them in the middle of the night? We told him, one more incident and you're out of here."
          "Yes, Mr Dean. But this time he's gone a step too far. The girl in question is blind."

But Ritchie's predatory behaviour is excused, because the blind girl made a realistic clay bust. Permission to advance sexually is granted, Mr Ritchie, job saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            I’m guessing that GO’s referring to the slightly odd Ruby Flipper dance routine that accompanied their hit? Was it Ruby Flipper? I’d lost track by then. (Just looked it up, and they were back with Pan’s People again.)
            Yup.

Comment

How come no-one noticed her making the sculpture? It's hardly portable, particularly for a blind person, and it's not something that you knock up in a single morning.

Comment

I always thought it a bit thoughtless for Lionel to shout "is it me you're looking for?" at a blind woman. I wonder if the video makers failed to consider that, or they did and thought it didn't matter (or that it was funny).

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  How come no-one noticed her making the sculpture? It's hardly portable, particularly for a blind person, and it's not something that you knock up in a single morning.
                  I think they did notice, but, 1984 being an Olympic year, perhaps assumed that it was meant to be Fatima Whitbread?

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                    Ritchie's predatory behaviour is excused, because the blind girl made a realistic clay bust
                    Evidence. "Could you describe your attacker..?"
                    "No need. Check this."

Comment

NYPD: 'Ummm...good grief! If he does look like that, then finding him should be a piece of cake...'

Comment

The worst thing about that video is that it ruined theGreat Pottery Throw Down for me.
                        One week last series the challenge was to make a bust of one of your heroes. And none of them, not a single one of the fuckers did a Lionel.
                        That would have been the defining moment of my life.

Comment

My god, I'd forgotten just how much we needed punk. And how much Mr. Blobby's best mate should never have been anywhere near either television or radio...

Comment

Edmonds seemed to do no preparation whatsoever ahead of his TOTP stints, instead winging it and screwing up song titles as though getting such things right was no biggie. I can’t imagine the artists were too happy.

Comment

Working...
                            X