A Song of Ice & Fire on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just on the controversial sequence from that episode...has there been no controversy over the systematic repetition of the same behaviour by the mutineers at Craster's Keep..?

or does the fact that they/their victims are some kind of underclass representatives make it Ok/acceptable..?
    i think the problem is not the fact that they're showing rape scenes, but rather the confusing implications of these rape scenes for the moral development of the characters. the audience expects that if someone does something bad they have to be punished for it. and the rule applies straightforwardly in the case of the mutineers, they're all unambiguously evil characters who are killed off within an episode or two - they do terrible things and quickly get what they deserve.

whereas with jaime, his whole character arc since losing his hand (actually, more or less since pushing bran out the window) is that he's gaining insight into himself and, you know, becoming one of the good guys. so the rape scene jars because is it really the kind of thing the new, good jaime would do? is he to face no reckoning for it? and why doesn't cersei seem angry about it?

[book not-really spoilers]

i read the books (a few years ago admittedly) - and i remember the scene as not being rape. cersei's reluctant to begin with because of the whole being in the church with the dead son lying in state thing, but she goes along with it; breaking taboos turns them on. also, the timing is different. iirc, it's the first time they've met since he's returned from his various travails, and maybe what follows makes more sense in that context than what we see in the TV version, where there's no obvious reason for his... urgency.

in the book you don't get the impression that jaime's character is stained in any way by the episode, or that retribution is in store. he's been thinking about this moment of being reunited with cersei all the time he's been away. if there's something not quite right about it, the impression is that it's because they both sense that their relationship has already begun to collapse (they've already showed this happening in the TV show). but the estrangement has more to do with the ways the two characters have changed since they last saw each other than with any specific grievance arising out of that scene.

so i don't know, unless they've got a whole other character arc in mind for jaime, i tend to think they fucked it up by showing something they didn't really intend to show.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
      Goon?
      No, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if SA had a bunch of GoT/SoIaF threads
      They have an ongoing spoliers thread and an episode-specific non-spoilers one. I'm not a book-reader so I stay out of the first, but the FYAD forum used an (apparent) spoiler as a subtitle recently, which made a few people mad.

Comment

Interesting responses on that, thanks folks.

Comment

Really enjoying this season - lots of colouring out of the lines of the book; but still doing a fine job in entertaining, and getting the "basic" mechanics of the main story right.

Dinklage was simply wonderful in the last one - I have been looking forward to this part of the Halfman arc - and he exceeded my expectations.

Oh! and props to Alfie Allen, I guess his big sister must have tormented him in a similar way to Ramsey to carry this all off so well.

Comment

yeah dinklage was really good. i realised watching it that i fantasise about giving a speech like that to the people in my life on a disturbingly regular basis.

Comment

The Iron Bank, and Mark Gatiss, were fabulous also, a magnificent addition to the GoT landscape. Stannis is such an awful prat. He barely deserves to have Davos as his wingman. "This is the kind of honest feller he is - he lopped me fingers off. He keeps his promises, he doesn't just say he'll do something, he does it." And yes, Peter Dinklage was superb, especially his address to the people, who you thought might be a bit better disposed towards him after he personally hauled their arses out of the war.

Comment

If Dinklage didn't earn an Emmy for that last speech it can only be because he's presumably even better in upcoming episodes.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Just on the controversial sequence from that episode...has there been no controversy over the systematic repetition of the same behaviour by the mutineers at Craster's Keep..?

or does the fact that they/their victims are some kind of underclass representatives make it Ok/acceptable..?
                  I think the mutineers are supposed to be awful people, so of course they're rapists. Nobody cares about their character arc or will be upset if they all get murdered.

Comment

It's telling that Cersei isn't asking for Jaime's head, especially since we know she has no qualms about having her siblings executed. If it were rape, don't you think she would be fuming and Jaime would be sharing a cell with Tyrion?

I was happy to see Mark Gatiss--I love him! I hope we see more of him in the future.

Comment

Wow another good one.
                      This season has been hitting some great consistent quality.

None next week though HBO don't like airing GOT on holiday weekends so 2 weeks to wait. (sulk)

Comment

ah FFS, really?

agree the quality has been good. the last series i felt they were stretching things out a bit too much, as though they were rationing what they could get through. so it often felt like not a lot was going on. the pacing is much better this time around.

Comment

Much better than the book as well.

Comment

FYI, there was no GoT last night, so don't bother trying to find it. It will be back next Sunday.

Comment

Interesting choice at the end of the last episode, as the show is playing things at the Eyrie a little different then the book. It hopefully means a little more interesting things to come for Aidan Gillen who actually has something to do this season (thankfully, though I still don't know what his voice is doing).

Also, I just need to praise Pedro Pascal, who was absolutely riveting in his scene with Tyrion in the cell. (He turned in a good performance as an unlucky 'other man' in The Mentalist this season too... a show nobody else is probably watching... for good reason.)

Comment

The whole show's moved away from the books. This is not a bad thing.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: FYI, there was no GoT last night, so don't bother trying to find it. It will be back next Sunday.
                                  Upset our whole evening, this did. Game of Thrones, Penny Dreadful and then bed. In the end, we just fell asleep halfway through Penny Dreadful.

Comment

Didn't upset mine, although I almost missed Mad Men because I was assuming that wouldn't be new either. Discovered it in time to switch the channel.

Comment

No GoT this week means more time to catch up on Orphan Black, so this household'll cope.

Comment

Spoiler alert. If you're not caught up with the TV series, don't watch this video. If you are current, then clicky clicky: http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/snoop-dogg-and-seth-rogen-need-to-recap-game-of-thrones-all-the-time/

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: As far as that goes, it's pretty much dead on, but portrayed through a contemporary lens (well, literally, but I mean figuratively) that nudges us to be appalled by stuff that people at that time would have just taken for granted.

Would they? How do we know? Yes, death was more common-place but mainly down to disease, accident and so on. I don't think slaughter and sadistic brutality were the routine events in people's lives that GoT suggests.

What makes me think about giving up on it is just how bleak it is.

I'm with you on that. It's kinda interesting as a phenomenon, but I don't particularly enjoy watching it. It looks great, there's some good acting vignettes, but dramatically it's an incoherent mess.
                                          To be fair, most of the landscape of GoT is currently set with a backdrop of what's sort-of or supposed-to-be something akin to the Thirty Years War. I take your point about the levels of sadism and cruelty in the show, it is very high. It always makes dramatic sense for me though and the characters have a consistent narrative.

It's take on the past does have an old-school gothic romanticism to it though, definitely. The thing that happened at the end of the last season (won't say what it was for SPOILER reasons) was very Edgar Allen Poe wasn't it, but filtered through a kind of real-politic prism. And there's lots of mixing up the archetypes of romantic fiction with a brutal realism that's kind of genuinely absorbing I think.

I dunno I just like it. I think the telly programme is better than the books, by the way. I read all five of them after S3 finished last year, and I wish I bloody hadn't now, it's miles more fun when you don't know what's coming.

Comment

I take your point about the levels of sadism and cruelty in the show, it is very high. It always makes dramatic sense for me though and the characters have a consistent narrative.

I don't altogether disagree, though I find its repetitive nature debilitating. For example:

SPOILERS

Did we really need the young peasant girl being hunted down and torn to pieces by dogs? Yes, the gory conclusion happened of screen, but it was already well established that the character responsible is a sadistic brute, did it need to be underlined?

Actually it's the repetitive nature of the series that will probably stop me watching at the end of this season. I mean how much longer is the blonde babe going to be wandering around the desert freeing slaves? That thread has gone absolutely nowhere since the end of the first season.

It might be that it has to do with new dramatic conventions. To me the series has a restart and repeat gaming type of structure, which I find irritating. More traditional subplots OTOH — like who killed the nasty boy-king — are just pissed away.

The violence per se in GoT doesn't bother me, but as a critical mass within long-form TV, I'm getting rather tired of disembowelings and body parts being lingered over. We stopped watching Da Vinci's Demons for that reason, and one episode of Penny Dreadful was definitely enough.

Fuck. I'm beginning to sound like my parents when confronted with The Wild Bunch.

Comment

I'm still watching Penny Dreadful, but I honestly have no idea what the plot is? I mean, what's going on....what's driving it forward? PB is looking for his sister, and the Monster is looking for a wife. C'est tout? It's lush, but what's the goal?

Comment

I'd... give Hannibal a miss from the off, so, AdeC.

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Brutality and violence are part of humanity and, you can argue, looking away shouldn't be an option. But how you look at it — which in cinematic terms is, I think, congruent with how it's presented — should be carefully thought about.

For instance in the past season of Vikings there was a controversial episode portraying death by the rite of Blood Eagle.

SPOILER

This is execution of a noble for betrayal. The prisoner kneels. His back is opened with an axe and his ribs pried apart. The lungs are then removed and placed on his shoulders, so, from the front he resembles a perched Eagle. If the prisoner doesn't make a sound before he dies he will enter Valhalla. If he does he won't.

In the show it was, I thought, handled brilliantly. Shot from the front of the prisoner in firelight, the camera concentrating mainly on his face, and those of the watching community. You had the sense that this was both punishment and religious ritual. You could see, and hear, what was taking place but it wasn't fetishised or lingered over. It was, in fact, respectful.

Blood Eagle scene

Of course, not every act of brutality is like that, most aren't. However, there's really no such thing as 'senseless violence" we see it, hear it, then try and understand it. If I can find no meaning — as in Penny Dreadful, like WOM says — why am I watching?

Comment

That's actually a perfect example, since Hannibal also does a Blood Eagle scene and, uh, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X