Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machete

"They just fucked with the wrong Mexican"

I could finish Sin City because of the violence, and this looks no less violent than that...but goddamn I want to see this. Danny Trejo, De Niro, and Steven Seagal all in the same movie? Shit like that just doesn't happen. Plus, the political angle interests me immediately. It seems Jessica Alba is finally ready to admit that she's a Latina.

Robert Rodriguez had apparently been working on this movie for a long time, and he shot it last year. Now, thanks to Arizona SB 1070, this has taken on much more significance than it ever would have before. It's like Arizona decided to promote the movie for him.

Machete

Parts of this trailer had been appearing before the film with Rose Macgowan (sp?) where she had that machine gun on her leg and then that car film. I can't remember the titles of either, but Tarantino and Rodriguez made the films. Obviously what seemed to be a fake trailer that fit the b-movie genre has become an actual film. I think the violence in this one, Inca, will mostly be cheesy enough that it will be funny.

Comment

Machete

Yes, the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse movies. Can't remember the names of either myself.

I wanted to watch Sin City, and I caught it on one of the movie channels. I made it about halfway before I both lost interest, and was turned off by the violence. It was just too grim for me to enjoy the movie.

Comment

Machete

I'm quite excited about this too.

While they're at it, why not make Werewolf Women of the SS as well?

Comment

Machete

So did no one end up watching this is the end? I say that because I hired the DVD for the evening.

It's a pretty enjoyable bit of hokum is Machete. Trashy exploitation -- with the requisite violence, guns and gratuitous nudity -- shot by a proper director.

Danny Trejo is a great presence and there's a cast that genre films will appreciate, including Steven Seagal, Tom Savini and Cheech Martin. And Lindsay Lohan dressed as a nun.

If I've only two criticisms; the scenes from the Grindhouse trailer in the film feel rather clunky and are shoehorned into the narrative; also the politics are a bit forced as well.

But a fun film nevertheless.

Comment

Working...
          X