I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post
    "Emma, the UK's most-awarded mattress..." For what strange competitions is the prize a mattress rather than money, a trophy or a fetching golden statuette?
    Clumsily-written but I imagine it means that the mattress itself has won awards.

However, I’d be more likely to ask why anyone would want to call a mattress ‘Emma’.

Comment

Because men absolutely love to give a girl's name to inanimate objects, especially domestic ones. This example is extra unsubtle, as the About Us section of the website reverses the equation, humanising (which of course means feminising) the object:

And there's some mildly risque crap about sleeping on top of Emma as well.

It's also the name of a French coat hanger.

Would be much edgier if the mattress was named Dennis, after one of the company's founding fathers.

Comment

"When will I get my pillows?"

Bleurgh.

Comment

“Most awarded” is a horrible - and obviously meaningless - phrase that’s all over US advertising. I‘m sad to see that it’s drifted over the Atlantic,

Comment

Have we done the Lynx Africa advert yet?

Comment

The get ready for Brexit advert is an interesting cultural artefact. First we get a fishing boat because we know how important Brexit was to that industry that was only dying because of the mean old EU. There was that fleet on the Thames or something. Then we have a bucolic tractor at dawn shot because farming is so important despite every bit of farming news I've heard this year has been about how farming is totally fucked because of Brexit. Then there's something about the "makers" and a factory because industry is such a vital part of our economy. And someone makes a drink. Hospitality! And the a sop to the high tech industry because there hasn't totally been a brain drain to Europe since 2016. And stirring music. We all need to check the guidance, understand the changes and get ready to go. As a plane takes off. Presumably to take Rees-Mogg, Gove, Johnson et al off to their private island to roll naked in all the money they've made from Brexit leaving all the sorry sods they duped into voting for it behind.

Comment

I dread to imagine just how much of our hard-earned we've all spaffed (TM) on these rubbish Brexit 'commercials' - or whatever they are - up to now. And the desperate sugar-coating of what has been exposed over-and-over as a massive error of judgment is indeed equally insulting.

Originally posted by laverte View Post
                Because men absolutely love to give a girl's name to inanimate objects, especially domestic ones. This example is extra unsubtle, as the About Us section of the website reverses the equation, humanising (which of course means feminising) the object:

'Emma' (nice name as it is) is such a banal choice, though. Wouldn't something like 'Clementine', 'Celeste' or even 'Marianne' feel more appropriate?

But what do I know. I've never named a mattress in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  The get ready for Brexit advert is an interesting cultural artefact. First we get a fishing boat because we know how important Brexit was to that industry that was only dying because of the mean old EU. There was that fleet on the Thames or something. Then we have a bucolic tractor at dawn shot because farming is so important despite every bit of farming news I've heard this year has been about how farming is totally fucked because of Brexit. Then there's something about the "makers" and a factory because industry is such a vital part of our economy. And someone makes a drink. Hospitality! And the a sop to the high tech industry because there hasn't totally been a brain drain to Europe since 2016. And stirring music. We all need to check the guidance, understand the changes and get ready to go. As a plane takes off. Presumably to take Rees-Mogg, Gove, Johnson et al off to their private island to roll naked in all the money they've made from Brexit leaving all the sorry sods they duped into voting for it behind.
                  Clear parallels with all those adverts for privatising national assets in the 1980s, making it all a jolly jape, and normalising the idea that the punters should part with their savings to buy something they already owned and then selling it immediately to financial institutions and funds for what they were told was a tidy profit, only for the big players to make the real money in the longer term. And they say we don't have political advertising on TV in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post

It's also the name of a French coat hanger.

Would be much edgier if the mattress was named Dennis, after one of the company's founding fathers.
                    Does this mean I'm being feminist when referring to the squeaky rubber mice that Latrice likes to chase around the flat as Mister Mouse?

Comment

There's a new ad for Colgate that shows a farmer, with the line " They say I'm not a real businessman, I just smile " . Who has ever said that to a farmer. It's lazy shit like that, that really annoys me.

Comment

The Poppy Lottery.

FFS

Comment

It is time to garrotte all car advertisers. Explain why it isn't The_Purple_Cow ...

Comment

Lots of petrol pumps have signs on the nozzles saying something along the lines of "thousands of people look at this space every month, why don't you advertise here?" At Sainsbury's in Bamber Bridge I finally saw that a company had decided to advertise this way. Bizarrely the company in question was an arms manufacturer looking for new employees. I've not applied.

Comment

Three things I can't stand:
                              Perfume ads
                              People singing over the top of songs
                              What's up? by 4 nonblondes

Hugo Boss you are an absolute cunt.

Comment

Meanwhile.

Blue extra-terrestrials appear on an Argos ad.

Or something

https://twitter.com/Argos_Online/sta...08000768057345

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                  Three things I can't stand:
                                  Perfume ads
                                  People singing over the top of songs
                                  What's up? by 4 nonblondes

Hugo Boss you are an absolute cunt.
                                  Would probably agree, tho haven’t seen the ad in question.

But, in cuntishness terms, do any of those things rank alongside him designing SS uniforms..?

Comment

"The Power of Hair" is a bad slogan.

(Pantene)

Comment

I now have that as an earworm, as sung by Elton John to the tune of "The Circle of Life".

Comment

I was thinking more Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News.

Comment

I was thinking more Frankie:

The power of hair
                                          A force from right there
                                          Cleaning my scaaaaaaaalp

Comment

https://twitter.com/adrienne_edits/status/1218693391292059648

Comment

The strap at the bottom is the most baffling. Cat radish? Salad gel? Raisin cocktail sauce?

Pretty sure it's a fake though.
                                              Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 02-09-2020, 08:30.

Comment

"Only Bozo would mix the pungent, sulphurous aroma of eggs with the earthy, nearly nonexistent flavour of fresh turnips - and then whip them together with healthful 100% cottonseed oil to make a taste sensation that your family will remember for the rest of their mouths."

Yeah, I'm not convinced that's genuine.

Comment

No way on this planet that that's genuine. The name, the product, the image, the wording...

Quite a well-crafted fake though.

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post

Would probably agree, tho haven’t seen the ad in question.

But, in cuntishness terms, do any of those things rank alongside him designing SS uniforms..?
                                                  Think I can hazard an answer to that one.

Comment

I looked into Bozo once, having come across references to him over the years. He's a good choice for this sort of thing because rather than a single performer it is a complicated international clown franchise, as if McDonald's were to ditch the burgers, and convoluted enough to deter anyone from saying with 100% certainty that there could never have been such a thing as Bozo egg-turnip mayonnaise.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X