Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes.

Comment

Isn't this a reflection of the fact that McCartney still controls his solo back catalogue, whereas the Beatles' were sold on (to Michael Jackson, then Sony) decades ago?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Isn't this a reflection of the fact that McCartney still controls his solo back catalogue, whereas the Beatles' were sold on (to Michael Jackson, then Sony) decades ago?
        Yes. Plus, he hardly needs the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          He could have earned six-figure sums, had he allowed Wake Up Boo! to be used to advertise a breakfast cereal, a washing powder - "anything to do with getting up in the morning." Carr wasn't interested. "I could never do it," he says. "You would get the money, spend it, and then for the rest of your life you would be known as the bloke who did the music for the Cornflakes ad."

https://www.theguardian.com/friday_r...349977,00.html

Although this is an old interview, I'm pretty sure it still applies.
          As Jah suggests, it has been used so much that it doesn't make a great deal of difference in most people's minds whether he took the multi-grain dollar or not. I always thought 'In The Morning' by The Coral was a fairly transparent attempt at opening up commercial opportunities (from an otherwise credible act) and a quick search reveals Tesco took the bait eventually.

Comment

That's a fair point and assuming he still gets asked, which he probably is given it's a daytime radio staple, maybe he should take that shilling. Who would begrudge him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Yes. Plus, he hardly needs the money.
              'Needing the money' isn't the only reason that people do / don't do things.

Comment

'For the money' - whether needed or otherwise - is the reason why most people do commercials, famous, or not.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                As Jah suggests, it has been used so much that it doesn't make a great deal of difference in most people's minds whether he took the multi-grain dollar or not. I always thought 'In The Morning' by The Coral was a fairly transparent attempt at opening up commercial opportunities (from an otherwise credible act) and a quick search reveals Tesco took the bait eventually.
                Indeed - and even more so, that bloody 'throw those curtains wide!' Elbow song.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  'For the money' - whether needed or otherwise - is the reason why most people do commercials, famous, or not.
                  Well, that's almost impossible to refute, since they perform a task and they get paid.

But I'd venture that there are reasons beyond the money that would cause a celebrity to endorse a product; belief in it, or its principles, for example. Paul McCartney might endorse a vegan product, say. Granted that's probably the exception, but my objection was more to the 'needing' the money vs 'for' the money. Even people with pisspots full of money continue to work.

Comment

Many people 'perform a task and get paid', that's just 'working' - my point there was obviously that commercials pay extremely well.

I was once offered ten grand to dress up as a Pot Noodle for a fifteen-second ad. I didn't do it because I have principles. (Well, I was too tall for the costume.)

Comment

Would that costume have fitted a man of... oh, dunno... about 5' 9"? Asking for a friend, like.

Comment

Well, I don't still have access to it, if that's what you're asking...

Comment

Many people 'perform a task and get paid', that's just 'working' - my point there was obviously that commercials pay extremely well.
                          Not in dispute. The question was whether they do it because they 'need the money' or they do it 'for the money'. My point was that some people's primary motivation can be something other than monetary, whether the money is good, bad or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                            I always thought 'In The Morning' by The Coral was a fairly transparent attempt at opening up commercial opportunities (from an otherwise credible act) and a quick search reveals Tesco took the bait eventually.
                            I seem to remember the same accusation being levelled at Shed Seven's Going For Gold from some quarters back when that came out. You could probably put together a pretty decent compilation of Now That's What I Call Stuff That Seem Inevitably Destined To Soundtrack Ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                              https://www.theguardian.com/friday_r...349977,00.html

Although this is an old interview, I'm pretty sure it still applies.
                              Indeed, by hook or by crook you've quite extraordinarily contrived to flag up that interview 20 years to the exact day since it was published!

Comment

Well, I don't still have access to it, if that's what you're asking...
                                Gah - there goes any hope of clearing my overdraft before Monday.

Comment

(Pssst - that ad was twenty-five years ago!)

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Not in dispute. The question was whether they do it because they 'need the money' or they do it 'for the money'. My point was that some people's primary motivation can be something other than monetary, whether the money is good, bad or otherwise.
                                    Then I'm not sure that I really follow the line of argument. I don’t think it’s much of a leap in the dark to say that most people (actors, if you like) wouldn't choose to do commercials if they didn’t pay well. (Whether they need the money isn't really an ‘either/or’, it’s purely down to the individual’s circumstances.)

As for folk agreeing to them for ‘other’ reasons, well, if it’s down to ethics then - unless promoting their own product - I’d doubt many would lend their time for free, regardless.

If, on the other hand, it’s for some charitable concern, the question then becomes one of whether that kind of thing constitutes a ‘commercial’ anyway, so much as it does a PIF.
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 05-08-2020, 20:50.

Comment

(Pssst - that ad was twenty-five years ago!)
                                      Was that the campaign Peter Baynham did?

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Why can't commercial directors find people who know how to actually slice/chop/dice food? People shown handling a knife invariably look like they've never used the tool once in their life. Drives me bonkers.

Comment

Isn't it because the pool they are drawing from are primarily hand models?

Comment

A lot of these terrible choppers are purchasers of those delivered meal kits, so sorta-civilians. And not big cookers. But it seems to be a universal thing, in my observation.

Comment

"Emma, the UK's most-awarded mattress..." For what strange competitions is the prize a mattress rather than money, a trophy or a fetching golden statuette?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  . You could probably put together a pretty decent compilation of Now That's What I Call Stuff That Seem Inevitably Destined To Soundtrack Ads.
                                                  Start that on the Music board. That would be great.

Comment

Today I've seen adverts for the Dexcom G-6 Continuous Glucose Monitor. I know people who use those. They're remarkably useful pieces of kit. But I don't remember a specific medical device being marketed on TV ads before.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X