• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Hello 2010. I fucking hate you so much.

Comment

oh, pass the Vom Bin.

*and the comments underneath dont help... probably all written by employees.

Comment

Currently pissed off by the "Oven Pride" oven cleaner adverts.

Can they really get away with the slogan "Oven Pride - so easy even a man can do it" in a completely non-ironic way?

I'm off to burn my underpants in protest.

Comment

That Paddy Power advert.

It's Rafa isn't it?

Comment

I'm off to burn my underpants in protest.
            Take them off first, and make sure you're not on a plane.

Comment

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/126953/Louise-Redknapp-I-ve-never-ad-so-much-stick/

Fucking hell, they got paid half a million quid for that.

Comment

we got to spend four lovely days in Cape Town.

That’s what I tell people who keep going on about how schmaltzy it is and keep nobbling me about it.
                Ah yes, that time-honoured adage. If someone accuses you of being a mercenary, look down your nose at them. Works every time.

Comment

I'm a little perplexed at the Dr. Pepper ad, the one where the student has to go the college doctor to sort out problems with his 'little friend', thereby ensuing a huge misunderstanding which ends up with said soft-drink gulper being humiliated in front of the entire fraternity.

It's possibly the only advertising campaign I've seen that intimates that buying Dr. Pepper will bring on situations whereby the consumer of it will undergo humiliating and life-damaging events that see him or her as the butt of Shit Happens.

Should Tango go this route? Instead of Dr. Pepper: What's The Worse That Could Happen?, will we have Tango: Boy, Are You Fucked!

Comment

A couple of adverts that are currently grating my eyes and eardrums at the moment.
                    Firstly there is more elbows in the air mockney mayhem for Cuprinol's Wood Preservation Society. God preserve us.
                    Secondly there is the new Bernard Matthews Golden Drummers ad, based on one of my least favourite songs of all time. I don't have a link, unfortunately (actually forget the un), but it starts with a freckly little scrote singing, followed by the rest of the family and finally a huge choir singing "You are so bootiful to me." Aaaarrrggggghhhh! I just want to pour Cuprinol all over myself and set fire to it whenever I hear it.

Comment

I've just seen an advert I like.

It's this Kwik-Fit advert

The line at the end does it for me.

Comment

That new Vodaphone advert where the new director of a firm at a restaurant jolly is just about to give a speech when his daughter phones and (sniff) wants Daddy to come get her (snivel) because her boyfriend's left her (blub) and she's feeling really bad in the rain and the cold and Daddy, please come and pick me up and give me a hug and bring that tinkly piano along with you to play plaintively in the background, thus signifying quiet, sad feeling.

Fuck off. Just fuck off.

Comment

I'm paraphrasing Charlie Brooker, but do you think there may be a folk song out there that hasn't been used in a mobile phone advert?

Comment

I'm not really sure, to be honest, but there's something about mobile phone ads which seem to bring out the worst in advertisers. For example, the thought of employing a hitman to wipe out the bloke who came up with the immortally bad 'Phones 4 You' ads keeps me comfy on cold and lonely nights.

Comment

I'm getting a really weird ad on TPM right now. It's for those "electronic" fake cigarette things. But instead of pitching it as a way of quitting smoking, they seem to be pitching it as a way to smoke more. The copy, plastered over a profile picture of an attractive woman smoking one of the things, reads:
                              Smoke anywhere! Save $1000s on cigarettes! Electronic cigarette: the smart smoking option. Get started.
                              Now that's something I wasn't expecting.

Comment

Has anyone posted this yet?

I defy anyone to explain what in the name of the fuck is going on in this ad and how it sells pretzels. I also didn't know the Japanese were fond of pretzels.

Comment

You just don't understand pretzel culture.

Neither do I, from that ad.

Comment

God in Heaven, that's odd. I don't know if it's true of all Japanese ads, but certainly every one I've seen on YouTube has been mind-bendingly weird.

Anyway I'm in Argentina now of course, which is a marvellous way of getting away from annoying British adverts. Sadly it's a great way seeing lots of irritating Argentine ones. Like this little fellah, who pops up not only three times during every half-time break when the football's on, but at least three times during each half too, along the bottom of the screen.

(The lyrics mean 'Rinde Do's drink is here / to kill your thirst / Rinde Do's drink is here / pay for one litre and get two')

Comment

I'm watching the cricket on Indian TV, and there is a horrible advert which has Yuvraj Singh (closest equivalent in Indian cricket to Ashely Cole) standing in a doorway waving his keys as if he's just drawn you in a swingers party. It's horrible, even more disturbing than all the adverts promising to lighten your skin colour.

Comment

All that 'passion'. All that 'pride'. All that 'belief'. It's all England needs to win the thing isn't it?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                          The new Gillette ad has the most hilarious American to English dubbing I've ever seen.
                                          I remember, as a kid, going on holiday to Berwick-upon-Tweed.

I was enthralled to discover the 'Harp Stays Sharp to the Bottom of the Glass' dude sounded like a Geordie down there.

Comment

Whatever you do don't read the comments under the Carlsberg ad in CV's link.

I'm just off to stick my head under the motormower doing the verges outside my office window.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                                              It's horrible, even more disturbing than all the adverts promising to lighten your skin colour.
                                              My wife was very disturbed by those when we went to Goa earlier this year.

The ones which are getting my goat are absolutely every single one for online poker games. It's like the drug lords got fed up with the hassle of smuggling heroin into the country and have gone for something equally as addictive and destructive but which they can legally advertise with a load of too cool for school gamblers and their supermodel floozies who are all waiting online for you to take their money.

Comment

I'm sure I've just seen Peter Beardsley flogging La-Z Boy chairs on the telly.

Comment

I'm just bracing myself for the tsunami of ads featuring football trying to leech off World Cup fever (even if they're trying to sell stairlifts).

We've already had the elderly managers disgracing themselves over a new telly to get the ball rolling.

Comment

and the one with Peter Crouch and the whitest eyeballs EVER... which, in fact, has made me forget what the advert is actually for.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X