Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

WHAT THE EVER LIVING FUCK WAS THAT GIBBERISH ABOUT?

Comment

Who?

Oh, for fuck's sake. All the good work of the previous few episodes undone, why couldn't this series have ended with last week's?

As one of my children put it, "The single best thing about that was he's got a sonic screwdriver again".

Comment

Who?

SPOILER ALERT TO PROTECT YOUR FAITH IN THE BBC

How in the seven Hells dies that ending work? So I can swallow Clara not being dead, even if it completely ruins everything, but making The Doctor the amnesiac? The reason that worked on Donna is that she'll never see him again and presumably is unlikely to encounter anyone not briefed on the situation. The Doctor, on the other hand, will have countless opportunities to run into people who know about Clara and will mention her, and UNIT's probably got a file an inch thick on her which he'll come across sooner or later, and are we supposed to believe the Tardis has no record of her all of a sudden?

I mean, plot holes yes, but you could drive a coach and horses through that one.

And as for the notion of two humans being able to pilot a Tardis successfully for any length of time (given that they're supposed to be piloted by multiple bloody Time Lords and The Doctor used to have trouble getting his one anywhere except Randomville), Jesus wept.

Although I did like the old school nod to the stolen Tardis' interior.

Comment

Who?

He realised who Clara was as soon as he saw her face painted on the TARDIS anyway.

You're right that the original TARDIS interior was great but when hardware like that and the sonic are the saving graces an episode is in real trouble.

It was actually doing OK for the first 20 minutes or so on Gallifrey until Rassillon was exiled. I really thought we were getting past The Doctor mewling over assistants, however gorgeous they are.

Comment

Who?

I loved the Christmas Special.

The "24 years" line was gorgeous.

Comment

Who?

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Fuck's sake.. Chris Chibnall.
              You think that will make the show worse?!?

Comment

Who?

It's apparently not until 2018 anyway. You've got a Chrimbo special and a whole nother series of monsters being defeated by the tears of children and pre-credits scenes to serve the plot arc that doesn't make any sense before it goes down hill.

Comment

Who?

I need to cut back the hydrangea to allow the new growth through but it has rained today so I'll have to wait.

Take this as a warning, Dr Who thread: any further attempts to annexe the Mundane thread will be met with brutally dull reprisals.

Comment

Who?

M&S sent an email advertising an online sale but the only pants available were size XXL. Is it pedantic to differentiate between a full on seasonal sale and end of line reductions?

Comment

Who?

Is anybody watching the latest series?
                      Three episodes in, and Pearl Mackie is nicely settled in her role as Bill.
                      I've got a feeling she'll only be in it for one season, (not unlike Freema Agyeman), based on something the Doctor said at the end of epsisode one. It'll be the Capaldi Doctor's parting gift, similar to David Tennant's Doctor with Donna Noble in 'The End Of Time.'

Comment

Who?

She's a much better companion than I was expecting.

Comment

Who?

The last episode had me feeling giddy, in that almost all of the episodes with kids end up being incredibly stupid and mawkish...and this not only avoided it but became a great with lower case "g" episode.

Bill Potts is amazing, not to mention Nardole. What's great is that the series seemingly starts a very long time (maybe another 4 billion years, but at least a few decades) after Clara left. Because Doctor Capaldi already "taught" at the university for decades, we miss that "one companion gone, hurry up and get another" bit that the show always has.

They've done a good job avoiding the traps and pitfalls of the lesser episodes, and have ended with a much more consistent product. The box in the basement and Nardole is so f'n brilliant. Small scale, and perfect towards telling a great story.

I love it to death so far.

Comment

Who?

Crusoe wrote: She's a much better companion than I was expecting.
                            Yes, I was dreading her addition to the show based on some of the press around her announcement and the preview clip doing the rounds but she's been good so far (I'm two episodes in).

It seems like everyone's upped their game a little before the handover to a new Doctor and showrunner, though if the former actually is Kris Marshall I fear Capaldi may end up being Colin Baker to his Sylvester McCoy.

Comment

Who?

Capaldi seems more comfortable in the role too. Don't know if that's because of the writing or him seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but he seems to 'fit' better.

Comment

Who?

Yeah, he's seemed to convince as The Doctor far more in the opening couple of episodes than in large parts of the multiple preceding series. Refreshing that the "YOOF!" affectation of guitar-playing and 'sonic sunglasses' seem to largely been dropped in favour of a genuine professorial demeanour.

Comment

Who?

jason voorhees wrote: What's great is that the series seemingly starts a very long time...after Clara left. Because Doctor Capaldi already "taught" at the university for decades...
                                  Maybe, though it could be a relatively short time in The Doctor's personal timeline and he just popped back decades to start there and make a few appearances since or something timey-wimey like that.

Thought the third one was a slip in quality (too many cliches like the "monster" actually being something that needed rescuing, the villain leaving The Doctor and assistant to be killed in some drawn out manner but actually just allowing them to escape and spoil his plans, lovable urchins looking out for each other) but enjoyable.

Comment

Who?

I am not ashamed to say that last episode made me cry. But these days I cry at just about anything.

Comment

Well I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Cryptic without being annoying, twists (albeit easily spotted). Properly dark too.

Comment

I liked it, too. But will the set up once again prove much more satisfying than the denouement?

Comment

Thank you. You've saved me finding this thread.

This entire series has been very strong hasn't it? Bill, Nardole and the Doctor have worked well together. The weakest villains have been the monks but the episodes and themes were still good.

And yes tonight was properly good and used the time dilation effect in a cool way.

The music tonight was properly good, have they replaced the old composer?

Edit: Did anyone else get a Zathras feel from the guy who looked after Bill?
                                          Last edited by Levin; 24-06-2017, 22:09.

Comment

I believe lots of people did, though I was not a Babylon 5 watcher myself.

And I'm not sure we're done with the monks. They open their mouths and speech comes out, but there's no articulation, then they shut them. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
                                              I believe lots of people did, though I was not a Babylon 5 watcher myself.

And I'm not sure we're done with the monks. They open their mouths and speech comes out, but there's no articulation, then they shut them. Hmmm.
                                              The Monks?

They WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NOTreturn...

Comment

Caught up with the penultimate episode. Nicely stretched plot for the big reveal. I have really enjoyed this series, although the preview of the final episode looks a bit, "Wrap it all up with a big punch up."

Any word on the new Doctor?

Comment

I'd love to think we see him or her in the next episode given the regeneration that was being flirted with at the start of the last episode.

Though they've teased us with that a few times recently, haven't they? It would also have required them having kept the whole thing under wraps successfully which would be an impressive achievement. Just as long as it isn't actually Kris Marshall.

Agree that this has been a really enjoyable series so far and that the chemistry with Capaldi, Bill and Nardole has been a massive part of that. Strange that it's come when everyone involved is (I presume) in their last series but maybe that's the reason why?

Comment

Paterson Joseph.

With any luck Littlejohn will spontaneously combust.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X