Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

I can't be the only one who was slightly disappointed with that. Moffat seems to think that making things confusing can make up for the lack of a coherent story. He relies too much on the 'Timey wimey' stuff. It brought up some interesting philosophical arguments, I suppose.

BTW, does that completely reverse the events of David Tennant's final story?

Comment

Who?

Disco Child Ballads wrote:
      BTW, does that completely reverse the events of David Tennant's final story?
      Funnily enough, one of my kids asked this a well.
      I don't think so, as one of the Timelords in the war room asked if they should run something by the High Council, and was told that they were busy with something else, which I've assumed was the return of Gallifrey in place of Earth.

Comment

Who?

Rogin wrote:

So then,

*****SPOILER ******

John Hurt's "Doctor" is regenerating into Christopher Ecclestone's one at the end, there, isn't he?
        *****SPOILER*******
        He is, he is, he is! If you freeze frame it at 1.10:01 here you can see Ecclestone's eyes in the CGI

day of the doctor

Comment

Who?

This discovery has made me so delighted I need to run around outside with a long multicoloured scarf on.

Comment

Who?

I liked it, apart from the 'Blackadder: Back and Forth' bits at the beginning

Comment

Who?

** stars.

It was okay, and I liked the ending, and Tom Baker's eyes in 3D, but man was that dopey.

I actually think it was a lookalike of Ecclestone. In the very end, with all of the Drs (if only they put Doctor J in there as well) it looked like an Ecclestone impersonator. Kind of like when they had a William Hartnell impersonator in The Five Doctors.

At least the Time War horseshit has come to an end. That was the horsedick of Damocles swinging over our heads....when and how would they show Thine Time War. They showed it, it was cheap looking, and now we won't have to think about it again. For that I'm happy.

Comment

Who?

They just used old footage of Ecclestone, didn't they?

Comment

Who?

Yes, underwhelmed; but not suprised by that.

I don't think that was grumpy's eyes, and I think he's an up his own arse prat for not joining in. Bless him.

I can't quite join up the dots between,what we saw, just now, and the spitting Timothy Dalton effort of the TL council, ( the manic blonde Simms master/knock three times episode,) although, also I can't be bothered now.
                  As said before, let's forget the Time War now.

On performances, I thought Smith came out pretty good, Tennant was irritating and Hurt was on cruise control.
                  PERSONAL RANT
                  As an asthmatic, I feel this , reach for the inhaler I have seen in quite a few TV/Film shows (this one and "IT"**, spring to mind )- as a symbol of feebleness is not funny - leave us weaklings alone you over breathing lot.We are trying to preserve the diminishing Oxygen levels, caused by global warming by our reduced lung capaicites - and you just use it as a joke!

** although in "IT", the inhaler was used as a weapon against Tim Curry

Comment

Who?

It may be due to my relative lack of knowledge of all things Who, but I thought that episode was joyous, I was smiling throughout.

Comment

Who?

ooh aah wrote: They just used old footage of Ecclestone, didn't they?
                      That certainly seemed immediately apparent to me in both the regeneration and "For my next trick" scenes.

Moffat has been at pains to say that Ecclestone behaved perfectly acceptably in not wanting to be part of the anniversary so I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed to the use of old footage, not that they'd need him to.

Comment

Who?

The comedy was indeed funny, but in the end it's utterly baffling.

The entire time, John Hurt was set up as "the one we don't talk about."

He was set up as the evil one, the one who made the hard decisions, the one who dropped the A-bomb, the one who decided to sacrifice his entire species to end a war.

Then....he pretty much is the wacky uncle with Alzheimers.

VTTB - At least you have The Goonies, where the hero with the inhaler was so cool that I wanted to have one.

There's also my center midfielder on the team I coached for years, the one who went up against Heather O'Reilly. I called her Godzilla, because she had oak tree trunks for legs and could end careers with one tackle. We had her inhaler ready on the sideline for every halftime.

Comment

Who?

jasoñ voorhees wrote:

VTTB - At least you have The Goonies, where the hero with the inhaler was so cool that I wanted to have one.

There's also my center midfielder on the team I coached for years, the one who went up against Heather O'Reilly. I called her Godzilla, because she had oak tree trunks for legs and could end careers with one tackle. We had her inhaler ready on the sideline for every halftime.
                          Hah good to know Jason.

I will admit this, I have never watched "Goonies" - now I know there is an inhaler hero I may well do so.

Comment

Who?

"It", blimey. Yes, the inhaler was central to that plot, wasn't it? As a symbol of the children's "weakness", it actually became a talismanic weapon in their fight against the monster, a bit like holy water against a vampire.

It's probably as long since I read that book than the years that pass in it between the characters being children and adults.

Comment

Who?

What a steaming pile of shit that was, from start to finish. Why have the exits of the last two Doctors been so fucking rubbish? David Tennant whimpering and mewling his life away and Matt Smith talking portentous gibberish.

Comment

Who?

^ yep, fucking awful. Stupid plot, and really shit dialogue.

Downton Abbey seemed utterly brilliant (and fast paced) by comparison.

Comment

Who?

I don't watch it from one year to the next, but caught the last 30 seconds, which I thought was quite good. I'll give Capaldi a turn I reckon.

I normally find it quite unwatchable and am hoping for a more mature, grown-up twist on the character. Some decent writing might help too. Every time I usually dip in I find myself rather nonplussed at its popularity.

Comment

Who?

I bring you gree-tings from all Da-leks (Dalek)
                                    I'm gonna spend my Christmas with a Dalek,
                                    And hug him under the mistletoe
                                    And if he's very nice
                                    I'll feed him sugar spice
                                    And hang Christmas stocking from his big lead toe
                                    And when we both get up on Christmas morning
                                    I'll kiss him on his chromium-plated head
                                    And take him in to say hi to Mum
                                    And frighten daddy out of his bed!
                                    CHORUS edit
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    Mer-ry Christ-mas (Dalek)
                                    Happy Christmas
                                    Hap-py Christ-mas (Dalek)
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    To you
                                    SECOND VERSE edit
                                    I wish to be your friend (Dalek)
                                    Please may I have some more plum pud-ding and cus-tard? (Dalek)
                                    I'm gonna spend my Christmas with a Dalek,
                                    And if I make him happy he will stay
                                    He'll go (whoop) and (whirr) and twiddle his eye
                                    And then my little Dalek will say
                                    CHORUS edit
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    Christ-mas Tree(Dalek)
                                    Happy Christmas
                                    Mist-le-toe (Dalek)
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    To you
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    I love you (Dalek)
                                    Happy Christmas
                                    You love me (Dalek)
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    To you
                                    Merry Christmas
                                    More-plum-pudding (Dalek)
                                    Happy Christmas
                                    More-cus-tard... (Dalek) (fade out)

Comment

Who?

Time of the Doctor
                                      Rating - No Point in Any Star Rating, As It's Moffetesque in Being Utterly Tedious, and Useless yet Brilliant In Some Ways.

A nice nod to Pertwee being stuck on Earth for a long time, nice try at tying in River Song and the Silence and the Grande Glowing Ass Crack into the modern storyline, and a nice kiss to the 12 regeneration limit, and a Grade-A 10-star final 5 minutes, but I'm exhausted in a not-so-good way.

The saddest thing, and I suppose I've seen it much, much later than the real Who Crew saw it, and that this show is dumb. It's stupid. It can't afford to be stupid. It has to be great. It's just dumb. As that Christmas Dalek Song is dumb.

Regeneration as Atom Bomb. And I thought Regeneration as Michael Jackson Video was bad.

Then Raggedy Man, Goodnight. And Do You Happen To Know How To Fly This Thing. And Hope Springs Eternal.

Comment

Who?

Jesus H. Fucking Christ on a bike.

What desperate pile of badly cobbled-together festering.shit was that?

(Previous regeneration plots I remember were "The War Games" & "Planet of the Spiders".)

Comment

Who?

Mind you, Capaldi's first line should have been "YOU! Yes, fucking you. How do you fucking fly this fucking thing?"

Comment

Who?

We only stuck to the end to see Capaldi, who livened it up immediately. If he has to battle scripts like that, though, he's buggered.

Comment

Who?

*****SPOILERS******

To give it some credit, I thought the twist on the usual immortal v mortal element was very poignant (that the Doctor had aged by 300 years while less than a few minutes had passed for Clara).

And him saying "farewell" to an imaginary Amelia Pond almost had me going.

But I'm afraid I didn't get the "extra life" (presumably lives?) bit at all. The Time Lords just spat them at him from another Universe? Are they coming back into this one, then?

Comment

Who?

One of my kids left half way through, "bored". At 15, maybe she's too old for Dr. Who.

It's incoherent, sentimental shite with the odd decent one-liner. It feels like an actor's workshop where they're making it up on the hoof, or from a randomly generated script made out of the plot suggestions of 10,000 message board fans. But at least the Ken Dodd of sci-fi is gone, and as people above have pointed out, the first 30 seconds of Capaldi were promising. Let's hope he's proper Scottish - grumpy and sardonic and hates losing.

Comment

Who?

They could make the Daleks Scottish. In fact Daleks in kilts would look cool.

Comment

Who?

imp wrote: Let's hope he's proper Scottish - grumpy and sardonic and hates losing.
                                                    We're like that because it makes it easier to deal with all you fannies.

(Winky face)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X