• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

Ginger Yellow wrote:
    Big Bad was a space pumpkin.
    My thought exactly.

The problem with Who at the moment is that too many stories revolve around '...and we defeated the evil through love!' Where are the 'we defeated the alien by subverting its technology / out-thinking / out-smarting it.' At the moment the Dcotor wins because he can out-emote.

It's a mild improvement on yet another episode about 'waiting' and one character 'waiting' for another character for years and years. But it is getting tiresome.

Comment

Who?

Ah, the universe saved by Murray Gold. I think I switched off at the part where Violet Elizabeth Bott gave the space pumpkin a piece of its own musical mind.

Of all the Whos I've seen thus far, one of the worst.

Comment

Who?

Jongudmund wrote:

The problem with Who at the moment is that too many stories revolve around '...and we defeated the evil through love!' Where are the 'we defeated the alien by subverting its technology / out-thinking / out-smarting it.' At the moment the Dcotor wins because he can out-emote
        I'm making a pact with Doctor Who. If the Ice Warrior in next weeks' episode is defeated/destroyed by any reference whatsoever to love, or emotion, or the importance of memory, or how much someone used to like Spangles, or basically anything that isn't lasers, electricity or an explosion (or drowning, seeing as it's set on a submarine), I am giving up on the rest of this series.

Comment

Who?

Actually although a bit odd in places (Ultravox and Duran Duran references seemed unnecessary and embarrassing) it was the best of this series so far; but that isn't saying much.
          It tried to be like "Alien" for suspense; but ended up more like a poor episode of "Voyage to The Bottom of the Sea" (without the wonderful "Seaview").

Plus points - I thought the ***Spoiler**** IW was actually impressive, far better than I remember them.
          And the ****Spoiler**** space ship at the end one of DW's better attempts.

I see we're off ghost hunting with Jenny the Midwife next week.
          Lucky if anyone is pregnant that she is around , I wonder if she'll cycle there.

Comment

Who?

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either. It was very by-the-numbers, really. And is it just me or do the sets and effects look particularly cheap this (half) season?

Comment

Who?

When I was twelve I wrote a story with the Ice Warriors in it and sent it to John Nathan Turner in anticipation of him putting it on the telly. I called it 'The Cargo Of Death'. It had a very simple plot. The Ice Warriors were hidden on a spaceship and at the end of Episode One, they appear and start killing everyone. I was working on the assumption that simple ideas were the best ones. John Nathan Turner wasn't interested though.

Comment

Who?

He turned my story down too, the being-fellated-while-on-the-phone-to-Biddy-Baxter bastard.

Comment

Who?

Yeah, I wish i'd written back: "Wearing a hawaiian shirt and having a bushy moustache doesn't make you Magnum PI you know, you fucking useless bastard" signed me, aged 12.

I didn't though.

Comment

Who?

I saw last Saturday's episode. I revere David Warner, but inwardly begged him not to give an sense-destroying performance of 80's tunes - it would've been too hard to bear (luckily he reduced it to a kind of mumbling), but it was a flaccid episode that was only a slight improvement on the previous week's lesson on Saving The Universe By Eurovision Song Entries. It's suffering - and not for the first time - from a single-story syndrome where the urge to cram so much incident into it (and not very good incident at that) dilutes the interest. Put simply, barring a good bit here and there, it's a mess.

Comment

Who?

Ginger Yellow wrote: It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either. It was very by-the-numbers, really. And is it just me or do the sets... look particularly cheap this (half) season?
                      Man, don't they just! Their effort at recreating a submarine was pretty risible, and so gaudily lit that the sets' shortcomings were exposed for all to see. I mean, however difficult it might have been, surely the proper option would have been to have shot the thing on an actual sub. And the mausoleum room last week was like something out of season 13; in fact, I thought it might have been an intentional homage to Pyramids Of Mars.

Comment

Who?

When he took his armour off, the IW's head looked like something from a CD-ROM PC game from 1994.

Comment

Who?

Last Saturday's was an improvement on the one before the eighties tunes did irritate me after a while. As for the set I don't see how it was gaudily lit

Comment

Who?

That was alright until the last few minutes. Monsters can just be scary. They don't have to have a back story.

(Even if they look like twiglets.)

Comment

Who?

Not too keen on the psychic being psychic either, but yeah, that was better.

Comment

Who?

A week behind (recording the latest now), just watched the Russian sub one and have a small continuity error: the TARDIS translates all language spoken in proximity, right? Well in the final scene when the sub has surfaced and they are standing on the conning tower, the Doc realises the TARDIS is at the South Pole, while they are at the North. Nevertheless they still continue to converse with the Soviet crew.

Just saying like.

Comment

Who?

"Jenny the midwife" (who I'm guessing plays a midwife called Jenny in another show) was pretty good in this, I thought, though next to your woman there it may not be that hard to look like an accomplished actress. Sadly.

This was a much better story, which surprised me because it's by Neil "Rings of Akhaten" Cross. There was a bit of "Power Of Love"-ishness, but I loved things like being pulled out of a parallel dimension by a length of rope.

Enough with the Tardis flying around, though. That was never a good idea.

Comment

Who?

Wyatt Earp wrote: I loved things like being pulled out of a parallel dimension by a length of rope
                                    There's a classic series story you'll really like, then. It's called 'Timelash'...

Comment

Who?

picked out this gem online

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7763

Lots of people annoyed about Metabelis-gate. Gary Russell says people are twats if they "complain about something so trivial". Here's why it IS a big deal.

It's not that a production team ignorant of old continuity made a mistake. I think if this were a production team that wasn't helmed by a lifelong fan, and it had been a genuine mistake, I wouldn't really care. It would be quite cute. People make mistakes. What bothers me is that, assuming Moffat actually WATCHES the episode at some stage during the editing/effects process (he surely does, doesn't he? Russell is documented as watching the drafts of episodes at numerous times in their development), including the finished version, he must surely have known that was wrong. Even if he missed it, the Doctor says it twice to hammer home the mistake. So either

(i) He didn't watch the episode prior to transmission, which he damn well should have done! or
                                      (ii) He watched and didn't care or, even worse, sanctioned the mistake deliberately. If this is the case, and he did it to annoy the fans, that's incredibly petty.

So why am I falling into his little trap and being annoyed? Well because all of us SHOULD be annoyed. Metabelis 3 isn't JUST a planet, it's a very important part of Doctor Who history. It formed the basis of the story arc than ran through the entire last year of the third Doctor's stories and to get it wrong is pretty insulting to Barry Letts and the people who made those episodes. What next, mispronouncing Dalek for a laugh?

He should know that deliberately winding up people just for caring, people like him, people who are there when Doctor Who isn't on prime time and loved by millions, isn't clever and doesn't make you look especially good. And if was a genuine mistake, well he really should be shot for that one. What was he doing when he should have been proof-watching the episode? Writing Sherlock? Along with recent slapdash scripts, maybe it's time Moffat concentrated on Doctor Who or Sherlock, but not tried to do both when he's clearly incapable of doing so.

One day I'm going to write a book about Doctor Who and the internet

Comment

Who?

Jon, I'm guessing that only the first and last sentences are you, and the rest is a quote from someone else?

I'm going to pronounce it "Day-lek" from now on.

Comment

Who?

You are correct Wyatt. There are some people out there who will blame Moffatt for everything, are convinced the BBC are about to cancel the series and believe that by criticizing the new series, they are performing a brave act of resistance on a par with dissidents in the U.S.S.R.

Comment

Who?

Damnit. If Who was consistently shit I could give up on it. I was just one verge of doing so and then they do that. I really, really enjoyed it.

Comment

Who?

mumpo wrote:

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                                              I loved things like being pulled out of a parallel dimension by a length of rope

There's a classic series story you'll really like, then. It's called 'Timelash'...
                                              Poltergeist , anyone?

Comment

Who?

Am I the only person enjoying this series so far then? Maybe after Amy, Rory, and fucking River Song I'm easily pleased

Comment

Who?

I missed the first episode of the series, but, so far, last night's was a marked improvement by being entertainingly bonkers with a good idea thrown in here and there.

Comment

Who?

Caught up with the last two in one sitting this weekend.
                                                    Liked the one with Jenny the midwife in it. Thought it had a Jon Pertweesque feel - but maybe as it was set in the seventies that's not so unusual.

The more recent salvage one, was OK ish ; but very messy. It tried to be a bit The Doctor's Wife, episode from last year; but didn't have a strong lead and was less enjoyable.
                                                    But generally these last two have given me hope. For this series now; but (speaks in whispers) I am not really digging Clara so much anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X