Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

He doesn't half come over as a twat in that interview. I mean, there's nothing new in that as Doctors go, but Smith comes over as the kind of twat I've met, which is always much worse. We'll see, I suppose.

Comment

Who?

I was left very concerned by that Guardian interview. Surely a large part of the problem is that this is the first time that most of us have been significantly older than the actor playing the Doctor. I'm struggling to think of any 27 year old actor who I would think "Ah, good choice" about.

Comment

Who?

Well, Colin Baker has a degree in Law, too, I believe.

But that's by the by. I'm not sure that having a degree is any sort of a guarantee of intellect. And while none of the others may have had much in the way of fancy book learning, the really great Doctors (Baker T, Troughton, Pertwee, Eccleston) had a definite air of intelligence and wisdom about them.
        Nah, we're basing this on an interview. If you read an interview with Pertwee, you wouldn't think he had an air of intelligence and wisdom. You'd think he was a helmet.

Comment

Who?

Jesus, would you look at the fecking nose on it.

Comment

Who?

Who on tour in Belfast, Inverness, Sunderland, Salford and Northampton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8556096.stm

'communities relatively underserved by the BBC.'

EDIT: Also quite an interesting piece on RTDs Doctor Who in yesterdays Independent, with a clip from the new series. Apparently The Doctor knew the latest assistant when she was a kid. Might be a bit different,

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/doctor-who-has-age-withered-this-time-lord-1923533.html

Comment

Who?

What's with the camp hands?

Comment

Who?

That Independent piece is terrible, and not even original - over the years there have been tons of hard sci-fi nuts who have criticised Doctor Who for not being the kind of show they'd like, while being totally blind to its strengths.

There is a distinction in science fiction between "hard sci-fi", with its rigorous attention to scientific detail, and "soft sci-fi", with its more social or philosophical concerns, but Doctor Who must be in a squishy class of its own. I don't know enough science to call it "bad science", but even with my humanities background it looks supremely dodgy.

My main problem with Doctor Who is that it isn't really science fiction – not in the serious sense of the term. It's man against monsters for the imaginative enjoyment of children, rather than the exploration of deeper, grown-up themes as pioneered by the likes of Philip K Dick, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C Clarke or Ursula K Le Guin.
                Well, leave it alone then. Go and watch Babylon 5 or something, you massive massive gimp.

Comment

Who?

He was a guest on Ross last night. I thought he acquitted himself rather well. He's got that air of nonchalant mentalness that Tom baker has.

Comment

Who?

The hardcore may or may not find this amusing

Comment

Who?

Haha. Not the best of starts, but when it hits its stride that's pretty funny.

Comment

Who?

I was quite heartened by the interview and clip on Ross as well, though didn't The Doctor break the fourth wall in the latter and make a comment to camera? Has that happened before?

This sounds interesting;

The Doctor and Douglas

As a new generation of fans await the debut of the 11th incarnation of the Doctor, long-time fan Jon Culshaw travels back in time to look at the man who changed Doctor Who forever: Douglas Adams.

After years toiling for success as a writer, in 1978 Douglas' world turned upside down. Just weeks after the radio series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was commissioned, so was his first script for Doctor Who. The following year - just as Hitchhikers was taking off - he was offered the job as script editor, one of the most demanding jobs in television.

The scripts he wrote for Doctor Who - The Pirate Planet, City of Death and Shada - still stand as a benchmark for the series today. But his time on the series was beset by problems. Technician strikes would seriously affect production, inflation was squeezing the series budget, and Douglas was exhausted by the simultaneous demands of Hitchhikers and Doctor Who.

Nevertheless, Douglas left an indelible mark on Doctor Who, bringing in a sharp wit that hadn't been seen before in what was ostensibly a children's TV series. Today's crop of writers and producers strive to emulate the intelligence, humour and ideas in Adams' scripts from 1979.

Jon Culshaw looks at Douglas' work on a television institution, talking to the writers, directors and actors who worked with him, and looks at the legacy of his work on Doctor Who with new executive producer Steven Moffat.

Produced by Simon Barnard and Kieron Moyles. This is a Wise Buddah production for BBC Radio 4.

Fri 2 Apr Radio 4.

Comment

Who?

I'm looking forward to the new series far more than a thirty-something adult should be looking forward to a daft tv programme. I like nearly everything I've seen and heard so far, and most especially I like the fact that Amy is apparently an orphan, which I'm taking as a deliberate two-fingered saulte to all RTD's stuff about his companions' families.

Breaking the fouth wall has happened before, at least in the Hartnell era when he wished the viewers a Happy Christmas. I didn't notice it in that clip on Friday though, are you thinking of the bit where he says "one day that'll work" (or something similar)? I just took that as a comment to himself.

Comment

Who?

The Invasion of Time, 1977. Tom Baker, to camera: "Even the sonic screwdriver won't get me out of this one"

Comment

Who?

Yoss wrote:
                              I didn't notice it in that clip on Friday though, are you thinking of the bit where he says "one day that'll work" (or something similar)? I just took that as a comment to himself.
                              Yes, that's the bit. I saw it twice and it looked like it was delivered straight to the viewer to me. Could be wrong, of course.

Comment

Who?

I like the clips I've seen so far, I like the way Matt Smith seems to carry himself and I'm intrigued as hell as to why the Dalek in the clip that says "It Begins" has a Union Jack under it's eyestalk. (Possible spoiler there from the clips if you want to highlight that or not - it's on the BBC Red Button if you want to see if for youself)

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                The Invasion of Time, 1977. Tom Baker, to camera: "Even the sonic screwdriver won't get me out of this one"
                                I just took that, and the one on Saturday (and other Tom Baker ones like "Time's running out" in Image of the Fendahl) to be asides to himself. The Hartnell one is out and out fourth wall breaking because he referred to the people at home. But that one was no biggie, as it was of it's time - all main characters in Christmas Day shows in the early to mid 60s did the same.

Comment

Who?

Phoebe wrote:
                                  Purves Grundy wrote:
                                  I just took that, and the one on Saturday (and other Tom Baker ones like "Time's running out" in Image of the Fendahl) to be asides to himself.
                                  Yeah, but the Invasion of Time one seems altogether more knowing than Image of the Fendahl or other similar stuff - see also much of episode 1 of Face of Evil. I bracket those alongside Morgus' soliloquies in Caves of Androzani. But knowing just how far off the leash Baker was around the time of Invasion of Time* it seems probable to me that he was talking directly to the viewers.

*see also the fact that he clearly mouths "Oh Bugger" to camera when confronted by Andred at the climax of episode - I think - 3

Comment

Who?

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I only noticed last night that the new series is broadcast in HD. The first full series to be, no?

Comment

Who?

A sometime OTFer previews the new Dr Who for The Quietus...

Take it away Proto-Moustache.

Comment

Who?

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                        Phoebe wrote:
                                        Purves Grundy wrote:
                                        I just took that, and the one on Saturday (and other Tom Baker ones like "Time's running out" in Image of the Fendahl) to be asides to himself.
                                        Yeah, but the Invasion of Time one seems altogether more knowing than Image of the Fendahl or other similar stuff - see also much of episode 1 of Face of Evil. I bracket those alongside Morgus' soliloquies in Caves of Androzani. But knowing just how far off the leash Baker was around the time of Invasion of Time* it seems probable to me that he was talking directly to the viewers.

*see also the fact that he clearly mouths "Oh Bugger" to camera when confronted by Andred at the climax of episode - I think - 3
                                        I don't think any of those are as clear as Tlotoxl's speech at the end of episode 1 of the Aztecs, or Lynda Barron's at the end of Episode 3 of Enlightenment, which are both knuckle-chewingly embarrassing in their hamminess.

Comment

Who?

Right. Set to record and series linked. Nice...

Comment

Who?

I've only just noticed that the first episode is being broadcast at 6.20pm which is a bit too early for my liking. I won't even have time for a pint after Orient's game on Saturday - I'll have to get home immediately.

Comment

Who?

The new Doctor Who (actor) has just outed himself as a diehard Blackburn Rovers fan.

This is a football messageboard, after all, it's important we know.

Comment

Who?

Another good observation from Mad Lawrence:

When you can imagine Clint Eastwood delivering the Doctor's lines, but not Tom Baker, something's definitely gone awry.

Comment

Who?

I presume that's the "don't put me in a trap" bit? The "if you want to see tomorrow" bit jarred as I thought the Doctor was against killing? Unless he means it in a timey-wimey way I suppose, there's always a timey-wimey get out.

Comment

Who?

Assuming tha "Me" is the answer to "there's one thing you never ever put in a trap", as opposed to them being two separate pieces of dialogue, of course.

Of course Lawrence Miles completely dismissing the series based on 90 seconds worth of clips is nothing at all to do with the fact he loathes Steven Moffat. At all. Not to mention that Moffat's previous Who efforts have not only been full of "in-between" moments, but the "in-between" moments have not only been the best parts of the story, but have often been the plot of the story. I mean, the "wholly negligible scene in which the Token Black Character snuffs it on his deathbed" in Blink is the most important scene of the whole story.

Miles was mainly spot on about RTD's tenure, but I can't see him being accurate about Moffat's reign, as Miles is too overwhelmed by personal hatred to give Moffat any credit for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X