'The Other Hand' by Chris Cleave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just published in the US as 'Little Bee', written by Guardian journalist Chris Cleave, author of 'Incendiary'. Plot teaser: Surrey-raised fashion journalist Sarah finds herself and opinionated Times columnist hubby Andrew on a Nigerian resort beach, suddenly facing two sisters who are about to be murdered by thugs for having lived in a village that's been razed so that the oil beneath it can be exploited. Issues raised: conditions in UK detention centres and the treatment of asylum seekers; how far we would go to help someone in danger we don't know; depression; adultery; the point of fashion magazines; colonialism; exploitation of natural resources; rape and murder; suicide.

Morbidly funny at times, mostly just disturbing, and aside from one plot-device character (Sarah's wooden lover, Lawrence) and the feeling of a rush to finish and tie things up that changes the book's reflective pace, a definitely recommended read. 8.5 out of 10.

Did you read Incendiary, imp? I thought it was very much 6.5 - 7.0. How would you say the two compare?

Comment

Didn't read that one, AG, though I'll probably look it up some time, despite your average rating.

Comment

I'm impressed with anyone who can judge books on a scale of ten in increments of half a point.

Comment

I'm not, it's a failure of calibration. What's wrong with a scale of twenty?

Comment

I'd be impressed with that, too.

Comment

The question is whether Gramsci uses the entire scale, or takes a "Gazzetta" approach (in which case 80+% of world literature would be rated between 5 and 7).

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                The question is whether Gramsci uses the entire scale, or takes a "Gazzetta" approach (in which case 80+% of world literature would be rated between 5 and 7).
                The latter. But that 80% only applies to literature in the top division (i.e. literary fiction). I could go considerably lower for the prose in government reports, for instance.

Incendiary had its moments - certainly, the early scenes around Highbury in the aftermath of the bomb attack were striking, but probably only because it was describing a place I've been to and loved. The rest of it...meh.

Part of it is that I find that almost any novel that has mass violence in public places and is set in London is going to have to suffer through the inevitable JG Ballard comparison (High Rise, Millennium People). And probably not come out that well.

Comment

Working...
                X