A little treat from wingco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little treat from wingco

All right, a little gift. As promised a few weeks ago, an unpublished extract from Different Times, taking a cursory look at comic British literature culminating in an extended appreciation of PG Wodehouse, Jeeves and Wooster in particular. It never went through an exhaustive process so think of it as an outtake. It's followed by J, a piece of Wodehouse fan fiction penned by myself. About 14,000 words in total so not expecting any rapid responses. Read it at your leisure, if you care to. DM me if you spot any bloomers.https://davidstubbs.net/from-diary-o...odehouse-to-j/

Aw yeah, 1066 And All That! Do you cover Cold Comfort Farm as well? Looking forward to the fanfic, I'm quite fond of Wodehouse.

his survey of modern irrationalism How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered The World, the author and Private Eye contributor Francis Wheen​

Hah! Someone of that name signed one of those 'I'm at university and I'm a thick cunt' anti-trans bullshit things twice, I remember noticing because it's a pretty silly - and I'd guess quite uncommon - name. Modern irrationalism indeed. The wheens are against us!

I was compelled to agree with Wodehouse biographer Frances Donaldson that Aunts Aren’t Gentlemen may be the greatest novel written by a nonagenarian.

Sounds like a thread idea. Good stuff so far wingco.

colonial borrowings such as “oolong” for the cup that cheers.​

Oolong is a specific type of tea, I'm drinking some now. Did PGW use it as a synonym for tea in general?

You refer to Bickersdyke as Bickerstaffe in the para starting "Coming immediately..."
    Last edited by delicatemoth; 15-09-2023, 22:01.

Comment

Of course, political emotions would have been at their height in the decade immediately after the war, but given Wodehouse was knighted the year before the death, that suggests a return to England might have been possible in the Sixties or early Seventies, had he been physically able to do so. That said, in some respects, his isolation may have proven a literary blessing in disguise - could he have kept Jeeves and Wooster in Twenties/Thirties aspic had he witnessed the remarkable social transformation of post-war England?

Comment

Funny enough, earlier this evening I got a notification from the library that your book is ready for collection.

Repeatedly, I think - as I believe it to be the first order - that you get a royalty from that, although I know different publishers have different library deals.

Comment

delicatemoth - thanks for the typo - and it is with deep dismay, having met the man a few times that the wheen is apparently against us. He also posted on Facebook a memory of him and that defender of women Nick Cohen. I think I might have to cancel him from this piece, written some time ago.

Comment

OOOOO!

Comment

DM sent.

I was also a bit dismayed by Wheen's drift to the dark side, as How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered The World is a decent book.

Comment

Every day a new disappointment. I have that Wheen book but haven't read it yet. Might be hard to pick it up now without that feeling of shame you get when listening to Van Morrissey.

Comment

Loving the book, wingco.

Comment

Another little treat for these dark days

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1713464727752331543?s=20

Comment

Working...
                    X