What does this mean? A definitions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean? A definitions thread

E.S. Turner in the thoroughly entertaining Boys Will Be Boys, has this phrase, regarding an ex-prime minister, in the boys' paper Charley Wag:

"This skinny old goblin was said to bathe daily in beef tea to strengthen his satyr's appetites, with a bath of rosewater afterwards as a freshener. He dined with six demireps and took pleasure in seducing virtuous country spitcats."

The Oxford defines 'demireps' as "a woman whose chastity is considered doubtful." But I can find nothing for 'spitcats.' Anyone have any ideas?

If the adjective "skinny" hadn't been used, I'd have guessed this referred to the UK's antepenultimate PM

Comment

It's similarity to spinster, two syllables, s and t sounds strikes me.

There's an Ambrose Bierce poem that uses the term. At it's most obvious it conjures up the sort of feline that will claw at you if you try to pet it and hiss at other cats.

Comment

Google only turns up the phrase "country spitcats" from the book. Bing and Duckduckgo not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          If the adjective "skinny" hadn't been used, I'd have guessed this referred to the UK's antepenultimate PM
          Me too. Particularly as the original copy of Charley Wag, refers to the ex PM as "A thoroughly depraved, unprincipled, godless, servile, blasphemous, lecherous old wretch."

Comment

The Historical Thesaurus of English (an excellent website) says 'spitcat' entered the English language in 1898, and is another word for an irascible person.

Comment

And my profound apologies to anyone who wasn't aware of the HToE and didn't want another time sink introduced into their lives.

Comment

What have you done?

Comment

That's excellent thanks. The date makes sense, it's the period being discussed in the book, and also when the author was a boy.

Comment

I shall be using the word 'spitcat' from now on in all kinds of company. Great word.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                      What have you done?
                      Finding out about sites like this is an occupational hazard in my line of work. I'm merely spreading the workplace danger around.

Comment

And I learn that the phrase is actually "tatterdemalion", rather than "tattermedalion".

Comment

Working...
                        X