Goodreads and the Law of Large Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodreads and the Law of Large Numbers

I have a theory, likely flimsy, that the law of large numbers is at work on Goodreads. Because it seems that every book eventually settles on a rating of 3.7 / 5.

Of course I've seen exceptions, but I wonder if there's some Goodreads Effect where fans of a book always give it 5 stars, people who didn't like it always give it 1, a few 'honest' reviewers give something in between, and after 10,000 ratings it's always 3.7.

Or, are most books just sorta average? Average being average, that's probably it, isn't it?

I checked my books to test your theory. The Quiet Fan has a 3.78 average from 9 ratings. Rock n Roll Soccer has a 3.79 average from 119 ratings. For Whom the Ball Rolls bucks the trend with a 4.33 average from 12 ratings. So that one's possibly above "sorta average". Though in fact it's what you'd expect with something as subjective as literary taste. I tend to search out books based on reviews I trust or from authors I already know, so on Goodreads I give a lot of four or five star reviews. If I don't like them, it tends to be two stars.

This is my favourite review of Rock n Roll Soccer (2 stars):
    'A shame this book was written by a snobby Brit who seems to enjoy making sneering asides at North Americans, such as the following comment, on page 216 of the hardcover version: "Canadian Buzz Parsons played for the Vancouver Whitecaps, while American Buzz Demling turned out for the San Jose Earthquakes--this is stated merely to prove that in North America it is perfectly legal to name a child Buzz." I'm sure all the readers in Cornwall were floored by that broadside. After reading that comment, I put the book down.'

The reviewer's called "Jim", but I bet his real name's Buzz.
    Last edited by imp; 17-05-2019, 15:30. Reason: adding a word I forgot earlier

Comment

Love that he got to page 216 before the Buzz comment caused him to ditch the book.

Comment

I like to think of him stomping about the house in a rage and his wife saying, "Is everything okay, dear?" And he replies, "NO! NO! Everything's not okay. Some snobby Brit I was reading just insulted Buzz!"
        "Buzz who, dear?"
        "No Buzz in particular, Martha. Just Buzz!"

Comment

"Let's just hope to god Buzz Aldrin never develops an interest in soccer and picks up that pile of dreck. All his accomplishments will have been for nought."

Comment

Working...
          X